Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Newsies Casting

Posted 11-11-2019 13:29
    We are doing Newsies this year and I have a question about casting. MTI sends a list of roles that are gender flexible but has anyone cast any of the parts marked as female or male as the opposite?

------------------------------
    Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA

• 2.  RE: Newsies Casting

Posted 11-11-2019 13:57
    I cast a number of the male roles with young women in my summer production, including Les, Race and Wiesel, but left them as male since these are roles that are marked as male, not gender flexible.  Most of the gender flexible roles I cast with young women and changed the gender, but ultimately left it up to the actor.  My Crutchie wanted to play the part as a boy. On my casting breakdown, I was very specific about which roles could be male or female and which roles must be played as their original gender but could be played by a performer of any gender identity.  Disney allows for this, which is great.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Newsies Casting

Posted 11-12-2019 10:14
    Remember this too:  back then girls dressed as boys to disguise themselves so they could survive!  Otherwise, they wouldn't be allowed to do what the boys did :)  Many of those Newsies probably originally were actual girls!