Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pay/firewall streaming options

Posted 08-21-2020 13:15

Hi all,

I've read lots of posts about opportunities and software folks have found for broadcasting or streaming shows online for this coming year.  I know that my fall season will be all virtual, and from the sounds of it, we will likely not be able to produce any in-person shows at all this year in my locale.  

I'm actively searching through many scripts that allow for either broadcast or livestream, however (as to be expected), before even applying for the license they require that you describe how the performance will be protected behind a paywall, firewall, password-protection system, or something else so that it is inaccessible to the general public and only can be viewed by your paying patrons.  (Which is a whole different nightmare for me as my district is currently prohibiting the use of any 3rd party online vendors for box office....but that's another thread).

Right now our district has been encouraging us to use all Google suites for our work, which means last spring our productions were streamed through YouTube.  They didn't have copyright attachments to them, so that wasn't a problem.  But that clearly isn't going to work now.  We don't have any in-district system that allows for me to "hide" a video from the public but also make it accessible to parents or community members.

We are also one of those districts that is banning Zoom for FERPA non-compliance. (I know that they are "working on it", but that doesn't pass muster with my district).  We are mandated to use WebEx, which while secure, is in no way able to handle a live-streamed performance.  Because of its robust security, it lags and hangs and acts a fool when there are more than 30 people in a room.

So I'm asking for your suggestions for sites or applications that would allow my kids to either upload and broadcast a pre-recorded and edited performance or host a live-streamed performance (depending on what our license allows), such that a patron has to have a password or security code to access it.  Anything that requires us to pay for a license to use it is currently a no-go, as that has to be approved by the district technology committee and that wouldn't happen for months right now.  

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Jason Coats
    Shawnee Mission Northwest HS
    Thespian Troupe #888
    Shawnee, KS

• 2.  RE: Pay/firewall streaming options

Posted 08-22-2020 03:16

Hi Jason,

It's no doubt frustrating that your district is lagging behind on this, though most of us have been playing some form of catch-up for the last few months. While at YouthPLAYS we encourage people to use one of our preferred partners (Anywhere Seat by Ludus, Booktix, Broadway on Demand, On The Stage or ShowTix4U), because they have platforms set up to allow ticketing and provide secure streaming/on-demand, it seems like you could still use YouTube. A live-stream wouldn't satisfy security demands from many publishers, but unless something has changed, you could ostensibly pre-record a performance and then create a private video listing on YouTube. At that point, you'd give out the password to your audience members. (Vimeo is also a good platform when it comes to password protection, but that would cost.)

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: Pay/firewall streaming options

Posted 08-22-2020 14:30
    Jason -
    Have you considered public domain work? All plays that were first published or released before 1925 are free to use any way you wish. No royalties, either.   After next January 1, it will be all plays published or released before 1924. I'd love to see a streamed production of The Adding Machine.

Billy Houck
    Shawnee Mission Northwest
    Class of 74

• 4.  RE: Pay/firewall streaming options

Posted 08-22-2020 22:59
    I know that Builderall (a small company with a robust suite of software) includes both webinar creation/hosted videos and a membership area which would provide security. It also has a checkout app through which you could charge patrons. It does cost $69.90/month though, a marvelous deal for all it includes but it sounds like any cost is a problem.
    If you want to investigate further, https://romespecialties.us/plans or get in touch with me.

For free, i agree with Jonathan Dorf that YouTube is your best bet. Videos can be set to private, so the code to watch could be distributed to those who pay via whatever system you're allowed to use. 

Good luck!

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview