Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  District Guidance on Zoom/Meet etc.?

Posted 04-17-2020 09:01
    Good Morning,
      I have been reading the posts from people doing the best they can to teach/rehearse/meet with students and want to first thank you all for doing what you always do: go above and beyond for your students.  It reminds me that we are part of an inspiring community of educators and is a small ray of sunshine in these troubling times.

My school district has, for the past month, and for the time being, banned the use of any video conferencing tools with students.  We use them for staff meetings, but we are not allowed to use them with any of our students. They are concerned with a whole host of issues, but the first one which I didn't have a good answer for - which couldn't be mitigated by proper use of technology and "classroom" management - was this: what are my legal/ethical obligations/liability, as en educator, if I see something inappropriate or unsafe in the student's home environment (i.e. dug/alcohol use or any form of abuse etc.).  I suppose my answer would be the same as always, report it. But we were instructed to hold off and not use the tools at all for now while they (and the district's lawyers, I'm sure) look into these issues.

I was curious what sort of guidance, if any, your districts have provided for your use of these tools when using them with students, beyond the basic tech-tips we've all seen.

Cheers,
    Guy

------------------------------
    Guy Barbato
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leonardtown, MD

• 2.  RE: District Guidance on Zoom/Meet etc.?

Posted 04-17-2020 14:05
    I don't know if this fully answers your question (now that I've re-read this I don't think we've been given the guidance you're seeking), but I thought it might be helpful to share what guidance we HAVE received:

Guidelines for Teachers Wishing to Use Zoom
    Teachers opting to use Zoom must be aware of the many considerations and implications of using video conferencing tools with students.
    Student Privacy Considerations

• Students should not be required to attend a live Zoom session and may opt-out without penalty. Students attending must be allowed to listen in without using audio or video.
    • Students can NEVER record one another on Zoom. This is important to avoid any future viral or cyberbullying.
    • Teachers must notify parents and students of Zoom use guidelines.
    o Guidelines can be displayed in the waiting room (see below).
    Important Reminders for Teachers:
    • Teachers must be dressed appropriately (as if teaching a class in person)
    • Teachers must never create one-on-one Zoom meeting with students.
    Configuring and Using Zoom:
    • Using Audio and Video: People can connect to a meeting from any internet connected device and see features like screen sharing.
    • Using Audio Only: People can connect from any telephone as well as any internet connected device.
    Always mute yourself when you are not talking
    • Use a waiting room.
    • Change your background to something appropriate. You can add an image of your favorite place or a plain color.
    • Tips and Tricks, including muting students on entry.
    • Features you may want to use or explore:
    o Screen Sharing
    o Whiteboarding
    o Annotation
    o Breakout Rooms
    o In-meeting chat
    o Nonverbal feedback

*Teachers must share the following guidelines below with students prior to using Zoom*

Zoom Students' Guidelines
    Expectations Regarding Students:
    • NEVER record one another on Zoom.
    • Dress appropriately.
    • Come to the meeting on time.
    • Make sure a parent is nearby in case you have questions or need help.
    • Find a quiet place with few distractions.
    • Be prepared. You may need a paper and pencil close by.
    • Always mute yourself when you are not talking and unmute yourself when you are called on.
    • If you want to talk, use the "Raise Hand" button and wait for me to call on you.
    • Use chat appropriately if it is enabled.
    • Be respectful in your actions and words. No yelling or being silly on camera.
    • Keep the experience positive; we all want a chance to be together and learn.
    Configuring and Using Zoom:
    • You do not need a Zoom account to connect to a session
    • Change your background to something appropriate. You can add an image of your favorite place or a plain color.
    • Using Audio and Video: You can connect to a meeting from any internet connected device and see features like screen sharing.
    • Using Audio Only: You can connect from any telephone as well as any internet connected device.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA