Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Streaming Brainstorm/Questions

Posted 09-18-2020 11:24
    So, we're back at school in-person full time, and our fall play will be recorded in person and then streamed out to the audience. (Rights and the streaming platform are secured.) I'm curious what others are doing or would do in this situation? 

We can choose to either stream at specific times/days or have it available for video on demand for up to a week. Which would you choose, and why? 

For ticket prices, there is a $2.95 per ticket fee that I plan to build into our ticket prices. Would you charge an individual ticket price? If so, how much? Would you also offer a "family" ticket price (so say there are 4 people in the household who plan to watch the show they just pay that price.) If so, how much? Or would you just stick with one price for all instances? If so, how much? 

For some context: The show is a full length production of one-acts that are connected by 3 main characters that take us in and out of each one act. Our ticket prices are usually $12 for students, $15 for adults, and reserved seating is $26. 

Thanks, I'm interested in a conversation about these options to help me figure out the best route to take. I figure there are others in the same boat that could benefit from a discussion of options.

------------------------------
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    Louisiana Co-Chapter Director

• 2.  RE: Streaming Brainstorm/Questions

Posted 09-21-2020 11:01
    Hi Kristi! I've seen this work in two ways, and I loved both for different reasons. One was a school in Cincinnati that recorded their production in person, then hosted a "drive in" showing of the production on a projector screen outside of the school. So creative and everyone could come together safely and watch, it felt more like a "real" production with that warm sense of community. They did not charge admission, but they did offer concessions and encouraged donations. 

A community theatre in my area also recorded in person, then gave audiences the ability to purchase a ticket and watch it for up to a month. I loved this option because it's SO flexible. If I was only able to watch it at 7:00am or 11:00pm, it was there, ready and waiting, and I didn't have to switch around my schedule at all. They charged $10 per "ticket" (less than the cost of their in person productions) but it was basically an honor system. They encouraged you to to buy a ticket for every person that would watch in order to support them, and there was also an option to donate to the organization at the end. 

I hope this gives you some ideas, I'm interested to hear what others are working on!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH