Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New York trip

Posted 09-18-2017 13:02
    Looking to travel a group to NYC in June.  Have used Promusica Tours the past 3 times, like them alot, but looking for other options to compare.  Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 2.  RE: New York trip

Posted 09-18-2017 15:35
    Coincidentally, our next (Nov.) issue of Teaching Theatre magazine -- for which we are finalizing copy this week -- will feature an article on the topic of taking student groups to NYC! I look forward to following this thread, and I hope you enjoy that upcoming story!

Best regards,

Anita Martin Manderfield
    Managing Editor of Publications
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati, OH

• 3.  RE: New York trip

Posted 09-19-2017 07:31
    Hey,

Fellow Michigander, here.  We use Bob Rogers Travels for our every-other-year trip (next one is in May).  We've used them for years and have been happy.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: New York trip

Posted 09-19-2017 09:37
    I may be a crazy person but my major focus when I did my New York Trip was to make it as cheap as possible for my students. Going through an agency obviously involves a major mark up and frankly I feel like results from them are fairly stale trips where they see little actual theatre. 

We are in New York to see theatre, let's see as much as possible. They can explore Times Square during lunch and dinner breaks. 

I ended up with this Itinerary last year
    Friday night Waitress (musical)
    Saturday Morning Workshop with New York Neofuturists
    Saturday Matinee  Great Comet of 1812 (Musical)
    Saturday evening Armando Experience at The Magnet Theatre (improv show)
    Saturday late evening The Infinite Wrench (formerly Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind) with the New York Neofuturists. 
    Sunday matinee of The Humans (tony-winning play from last year) 

So 5 shows in three days with a lot of variety from big Broadway shows to small long running experimental theatre. 
    I was able to do all this, including bus from Boston and hotel for $375 per student. This did not include meals but I am a big proponent for sending them off to get food in Times Square during breaks. YOu can do it for between 5 and 15 a meal if you want. Obviously it will cost more for plane tickets included but everyone outfit I talked to wanted at least 3x this for the trip for a fraction of the theatre time. If you want to do some art viewing, the Met is suggested donation! Literally can throw loose change at them!

Also the kids were so exhausted that they couldn't cause any trouble 

I used to following to book shows
    Broadway Inbound (crazy easy for Broadway and long standing off broadway shows like Avenue Q)
    Contacting the New York Neofuturists directly
    Contacting Magnet Theatre Directly 
    uscoachways.hotelplanner.com for hotels. Great deals around the city. I recommend planning early and getting a good deal on some place like The Paul near Times Square so you don't need to deal with train passes to get into Times Square and back twice a day. 
    Can't help you on flights. 

Feel free to reach out with any questions about my process. I found it surprisingly easy. 

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 5.  RE: New York trip

Posted 09-19-2017 10:08
    I haven't been to NYC with this group yet, but I'm going this summer with Explorica. I went to London with them last summer and it was amazing. We'll see 2 shows on Broadway and 1 on West End. I highly recommend them.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 6.  RE: New York trip

Posted 09-19-2017 12:00
    We have always used Manhattan Tour and Travel (now Junior Tours) and have had great results.  They are specifically theatre people, so they plan THEATRE tours.  They are also flexible, so if you want to book your own flight, hotel, etc., they will work with you.  Their theater seats are almost always good, especially on those you request best seats for.  Enjoy!

John

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Clark County School District/Las Vegas Academy of the Arts
    Las Vegas NV