Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troupe Officers for New Troupe

Posted 05-14-2019 09:52
    Just started our Troupe and the student certificates have a place for the Troupe President to sign. We have 8 inductees and no current members. I could choose someone to act as president, from the 8 inductees, to sign the certificates, but then they would be signing their own. Also, 6 of the 8 are seniors and graduating in a few weeks. I was going to ask the 2 remaining to be officers for next year and fill in vacancies with those students that are inducted in the fall after the fall play (I have 7 students within 2-3 points of induction so planning on doing 2 inductions ceremonies next year to get things started). So I could name officers with the current seniors to act until the end of the year, but not sure about them signing their own certificates.

What should I do? Have someone as president sign their own? Leave it blank? Have one student sign all but their own and then have someone else sign that one? Help!!!

------------------------------
    Amy Williams
    District Librarian/Theater Teacher
    Thespian Troupe #8881
    Auburn High School
    Auburn, IL

• 2.  RE: Troupe Officers for New Troupe

Posted 05-15-2019 09:47
    Good Morning.
    I have a similar question. Our chapter is very small (maybe 10-12 guys). Since we are a smaller group, our students share the leadership roles among them. For example, our service experience was led by 2 guys, but our student directing team was led by other guys. For the certificate, I had our Ass't Head of School for Student Leadership sign them in addition to me.

Good Luck.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 3.  RE: Troupe Officers for New Troupe

Posted 05-15-2019 11:39
    I was in a similar position a couple of years ago.  Before our first induction ceremony, we elected an officer board out of our inductees.  The president did sign her own certificate and I guess we didn't really dwell on it too much.  Our president thought of it as a unique distinction that she would be the only person in our troupe's history to do so.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 4.  RE: Troupe Officers for New Troupe

Posted 05-16-2019 12:56
    Hi, Amy

Welcome to the International Thespian Society!

In this case there are no correct answers to your questions. Whatever works for you is acceptable. How troupes organize officers varies greatly. Some new troupes have officers appointed by the troupe director, others have an informal election, some wait until a more convenient time to work out a system. It's okay to have a president sign their own induction certificate or to leave it blank.

Keep in mind that you don't need to establish your permanent troupe practices and by-law from the start, and you don't have to hold yourself or your troupe to whatever you decide to do now. As with every organization, troupes evolve over time. The troupe constitution and by-laws can and probably should change over time as the needs of the troupe and its members change.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association