Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One-Act Plays: Gender/Identity

Posted 05-31-2018 19:24
    Hey there! Next season, I plan on having some guest directors take on two one-act plays with themes of gender identity as well as gender stereotypes. The idea is to have one cast all "males" and the other, all "females." Those are in quotations as we are going to be fully open to casting any students who might be gender fluid, or do not identify as cisgender. Obviously, the point is to allow actors and audiences to investigate what gender means through different lenses. 

Cheers!

Steve

------------------------------
    Steven Beckingham
    Drama Teacher
    West Linn High School
    West Linn OR

• 2.  RE: One-Act Plays: Gender/Identity

Posted 06-01-2018 10:59
    One possibility to think about is Shakespeare's R &J adapted by Joe Calarco. The plot is basically four students at a very rigid boarding school act out all of the roles of Romeo and Juliet. It jumps back and forth from the boarding school to the Shakespeare play throughout, and you get a really great glimpse of how the play changes the characters. When I was in college, they did this play and had two different casts, one of all male, and the other of all female. It was an interesting contrast to see the different gendered casts handle the Shakespeare. Having men play both of the characters that play Romeo and Juliet, and/or having women play both of the characters that portray Romeo and Juliet might suit your purposes for what you want to accomplish. It is full-length though...Perhaps they'd allow it to be cut down?

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: One-Act Plays: Gender/Identity

Posted 06-05-2018 12:09
    So glad to hear you're taking this on - bravo!

For our student-directed one-acts last winter, a student chose "Three Guys & a Brenda" by Adam Bock (through Playscripts, Inc.). It's very funny and rather slyly insightful - the kind of thing where some parents didn't get the social commentary part but thought it was hilarious, and the kids were way into it. 

We've also done:  "Cagebirds" by David Campton (long one-act about women's roles in society, heavy), "The Most Massive Woman Wins" by Madeleine George - I had to get over the title which I hate, but a hardcore look at body image & women, and "Trifles" by Susan Glaspell - an oldie but still sadly profound and relevant. It's in the public domain and full text is available online. (bonus!)

(I teach in an all-girls middle/high school, & I'm proud that our students have been on fire with women's issues the past three years...)

Janis Valdes
    Department Chair, Performing Arts
    Villa Duchesne Oak Hill School
    St. Louis MO