Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-14-2019 12:03
    Hello,

Taking my 8th grade thespians to NYC for a weekend trip. DO you have a company you have used in the past you would recommend that also has a workshop as well as the show!

Thanks

------------------------------
    Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 2.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 07:05
    I have worked with ProMusica for the past 6 years.  Patrick is amazing to work with, fantastic customer service!  They will take great care of you and the price is great. patrick@promusicatours.com

Kendra Knoblock
    Teacher - Director
    Rome0 MI

• 3.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 08:07
    I am going with EF Tours on their Broadway and the Arts tour this summer with 7-9 grade students. On our schedule we have a workshop with a Broadway professional. In talking with our EF rep, it is always someone who is currently working on the show in some capacity. We are seeing 2 shows (TBD as the date nears) and a whole lot of sightseeing. I haven't taken this particular trip before, but I have traveled with EF twice before to other locations and they are wonderful!

Carrie Stephens
    Theatre Teacher
    Little Elm TX

• 4.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 08:39
    I use Rich Abrams at Junior Tours. I have done 4 tours with him and our choir teacher is going with them this year as well. They have lots of workshops to choose from.  Very easy to work with.

Karen Dean
    St. George’s Independent School
    Collierville TN

• 5.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 09:08
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions I am really grateful.
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 6.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 09:03
    There were a number of companies at the conference in NYC this year. I haven't worked with them, because we live super close so I don't bother, BUT several are ones I know others have had much success with using.

TGS Tours - Shorey Walker, program coordinator - 212-939-6230, TheGrowingStudio.com

Broadway.com/groups - broadwayclassroom.com

Bright Lights Big City Tours - www.blbctours.com

Brightspark Travel - Kris Loos, tour consultant - kloos@brightsparktravel.com, 708-831-7153

There were probably more, but I didn't get a ton of info on them since I don't really use them. I really liked Bright Lights Big City, and they have LOTS of amazing performer connections. 

Hope this helps!!!

Tracy Friswell-Jacobs
    Delaware Thespians

Tracy Friswell-Jacobs
    Theatre Teacher
    Middletown DE

• 7.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 09:06
    I have used  SHOW ME TOURS and Daniel is the absolute best! It doesn't feel like you are using a "company" and he doesn't leave your side.
    He is incredibly knowledgeable  and can get large groups around using the subway or whatever method of transportation you like! He makes reservations at amazing restaurants THAT ARE NOT CHAINS- really a unique way to see the city. I highly recommend him!!!!

Diana Driver
    Crozet VA

• 8.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 11:07

Hi Ms. Rizzo, 

How exciting for an 8th grade student to go to NYC! We found these resources and thought to share. We've not used these services and it may take some investigating.

Best to you and your students.

http://www.broadwayworkshop.com/special-programs/groups/

https://www.nytw.org/education/

https://www.broadway.com/groups/classroom/

https://www.broadwayteachinggroup.com/

National YoungArts Foundation
    Miami, FL

• 9.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 12:50
    I take 40 students to New York every year. Generally my mission is to get as much theater for as little money per student as possible. I found that none of the tour companies quite were looking at the trip the same way I was and also I have found I can do the trip for about 2 to 300 less per student. 

Here is what my trip looks like and will share resources I used to line it up. 
    Greyhound bus (I am close so this makes sense. I took students to Edinburgh last summer though and used Studentuniverse.com for group booking, they were great)

Citadines Hotel Fifth Avenue ( $129 per room per night) they include breakfast which is nice. but I typically go with close to Times Square because we had to take a train to get places last year and it wasn't a great experience, cheap, and not awful yelp reviews (def avoid historic hotels) https://uscoachways.hotelplanner.com/Group-Rate/ is what I used) 

The Play That Goes Wrong Friday Night (42 per ticket) 
    West Side Story revival Saturday Matinee (29 per ticket)
    Dear Evan Hansen Sunday Matinee (99 pet ticket, i splurged on this one)
     (all Broadwayinbound.com they also have the possibility of booking workshops on there which I hear good things about but haven't done. they charge a rate per student ) 

An improv show at Upright Citizens Brigade Theater (14 per person. i have more mature students though, 10th to 12th grade. for your students I would recommend checking out ComedySportz New York. Competitive improv show two teams red and blue battling it out for points and laughs csznewyork.com)

New York Neofuturists' The Infinite Wrench. a show where they do 30 original 2 minute plays in an hour every week. With new plays every week. It's my favorite thing but also def for a more mature crowd $16 (it's a 1030pm show) and the plays range from absolutely silly to occasionally having nudity (was a beautiful and powerful play about the performer being assaulted by her gymnastics instructor so she was changing into gymnastics leotard) 

Radio City Music Hall tour (18 per person) 

In total including bus I am doing it $410 per kid. Obviously yours would be a bit more since probably flying but when you piece it together yourself you can save so much money for your kids. 

Happy to answer any follow up questions

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 10.  RE: NYC Broadway Class & Trip Package

Posted 10-15-2019 15:29
    I can't stop saying thank you for all your amazing ideas !

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL