Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-02-2017 18:11
    For our fall festival, we are attempting to do plays about bullying and social media. I have scoured the internet and can not find anything good to produce. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Alison Dingle
    Theater Teacher
    Adelson Educational Campus
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-02-2017 20:35
    Hello,

Not sure what your requirements are, but I have some kids performing a short scene from YouthPLAYS called "Log Off".  It has 3F, 1M and is about 15mins.  Four teens are in their rooms getting ready for a party and they are interacting with each other on Facebook.  One of the teens is an "unwanted" guest at the party, so the other three trick and bully her online.  I really like how each teen narrates their actions on Facebook.

"Sixteen in 10 Minutes or Less" on Theatrefolk also has a few great scenes dealing with social media/bullying.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-02-2017 23:53
    Thank you! I will look into both these options!

Alison Dingle
    Theater Teacher
    Adelson Educational Campus
    Las Vegas NV

• 4.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 03:08
    "The Bully Plays" from Dramatic Publishing - multiple short plays by different authors - really good.

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 5.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 03:31
    Some great options from Playscripts, Inc.

I Don't Want to Talk About It

by Bradley Hayward (Dramedy)

30 - 45 minutes
     5 either (5-32 actors possible: 0-32 f, 0-32 m)

Being a teenager is hard, and nobody wants to talk about it. Confronting the daily challenges of growing up, this series of monologues and scenes offers a look at a multitude of issues -- including dealing with parents who just don't get it, rumors, bullying, and suicide. By turns funny and tragic, the gritty details of adolescence surface -- exposing the things teenagers can't, won't, and don't want to talk about.

Dolphin 
    by Jonathan Dorf

When Petra is complicit in a cyberbullying attack against her best friend David, their friendship is put to the ultimate test. A tender drama that explores the limits of friendship and the consequences of not speaking up

Thank You for Flushing My Head in the Toilet and other rarely used expressions 
    by Jonathan Dorf

Dylan Russell
    Chair VPA & Drama Director
    Richmond CA

• 6.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 05:39
    Have you looked at the Bully Plays? It's an anthology of 10 plays or so from dramatic publishing. Several of them deal with social media and I know one in particular deals with how teens shared an inappropriate picture of another student and the fallout of that. Etc.

Jason Lehman
    JHS
    McDonough GA

• 7.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 08:25

I saw this done at a festival a couple of years ago and it's powerful. 

#VIRAL

Stage Partners remove preview
    #VIRAL
    Drama One-act. 30-35 minutes 7-30 actors, all female, but gender-flexible chorus In this ensemble-driven drama featuring an all-female cast, five high school girls recount a cruel locker room bullying incident that is initially cloaked in secrecy, but ultimately goes viral online.
    View this on Stage Partners >

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 8.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 08:44
    If the Festival is kid heavy, you can look at "Gran's Guide to Stop an Ogre" by Stephanie Demaree. It's cute.It's held by Pioneer Drama.

There's also "Touchy Subjects," also from Pioneer, that deals specifically with the sexual-harassment type of bullying. More for teens.

My students are currently working on a one-act by Jonathan Rand called "The Internet is Distract - Oh Look a Kitten!" for our fall scene night. It's not specifically about social media, but it plays a heavy role in a very fun comedy about Internet addiction.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 9.  RE: Plays about social media and/or bullying

Posted 11-03-2017 08:51
    There is a new play out called "13".  Well written with a great story line.  It is resourced in the Middle School section but is about 16 year olds and bullying.  Great.....already been produced by local community theatre in my area.

Pamela Evitts
    Teacher
    Lamar MO