Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Playbill Ads

Posted 02-02-2017 14:26

For our spring musical I'd like to allow local businesses to purchase advertisement space in the Playbill. However, I'm not sure what I should charge for this? I'd like to include ½ page ads and full page ads. Any suggestions for a fair price range? Thanks!

Tanisha Smith

San Antonio Christian School

Middle and High School Choir and Drama

Middle School Praise Team Director

• 2.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-03-2017 07:18
    We charge $50 for half-page, $75 for full.

------------------------------
    Robert RoyDirector of DramaPinckney MI

• 3.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-03-2017 07:30
    The first thing to do is find out what everyone else in the school charges for something similar so you are in line.  For example, both our choir and band sell full color ads here.  Also, athletics does in the fall/winter/spring programming.  

Any of these people should be happy to let you know so you can charge the highest fair price possible!

Good luck.

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 4.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-03-2017 07:53
    Tanisha: when I did it before I charged $100.00 for a full page ad. $50.00 for a 1/2 page ad $25.00 for a 1/4 page ad, and $15.00 for a 1/8 page ad.  Most will go for that because that is pretty cheap.  If you feel, however that is too low or too high then I would change it to your needs.  Just my thoughts.

Robert Powell
    Theatre Teacher
    [Houston ISD
    Houston TX

• 5.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-03-2017 08:53

I think it really depends on your area and the current market.  The other schools in my area had already been selling ads for a long time, and they typically sell year long subscriptions/sponsorships to the local businesses.  So, when I started marketing, I priced my ads lower, and I do them separately for each show.  It's easier for some of the businesses to come up with $75 for a full page ad or $50 for a half page ad then to come up with $350 for the year or something. 

Rebecca Rajswasser. M.Ed.

Forest High School
    English I; Intro to Drama; Acting I-IV

Director, Troupe 3069

671-7400; 58562

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. All correspondence sent to or from this entity is subject to the Public Records Law of Florida. Email communication may be subject to public and media disclosure upon request. Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.]

~An Equal Opportunity School District~

• 6.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-05-2017 14:36
    My only suggestion is to charge a premium for the back cover...prime real estate!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 7.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-06-2017 06:35
    Our ads are a big money maker. We charge
    $175 for rear cover (in color)
    $125 for inside front/rear cover (in color)
    $100 for full page ad
    $75 for half page ad
    $40 for business card 1/4 page ad

We are in a high income/very competitive area (the northeast) so there is always competition for the big spots. I have never had a complaint about prices. We make between 4 to 5 thousand dollars in ads. It also helps to have a town and admin that really recognizes the importance of performing arts. I am at the middle school. The HS is even bigger $$. 

Ron Wells

• 8.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-06-2017 06:40
    It depends on Theater size, color or black and white, and the economics of your audience. One thing I do is sell a title sponsorship. This costs a lot more than a regular ad but they get the back cover, a shout-out in the announcements, a banner in the lobby, and an ad on the back of the tickets.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 9.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-06-2017 08:01
    You've got tons of good suggestions here, but I think it is best to keep the options minimal if this first time around.  I think 3 sizes is best and perhaps offer one sponsorship if you can find someone.  The 3rd size you should consider doing is a business card ad, whether that's what you call it or whether you call it by size.  Business cards are fast and easy for the company buying the ad because they don't have to create the artwork and nor do you. 

Erik Hart
    Michigan
    Warren Con. School of Perf. Arts
    ehart@wcskids.net

• 10.  RE: Playbill Ads

Posted 02-06-2017 08:29
    We don't sell business ads, but we do sell "booster" ads to parents.  The content is usually a congratulations to their child in the production and to the entire cast and crew.  Some parents get very creative and use lines from the production in their ads, or special quotations, but they submit copy only.  There are no graphics or photos, which keeps costs down in terms of layout and printing.  It also allows us to maintain a more uniform look to the program since our typesetter does the layout for everything, including all the ads.

Prices are:
          Inside Front/Back Cover:  $100
          Full Page:  $80
          Half Page:  $50

We used to do a $10 listing or "shout-out" of greetings, with all of them listed on a single page, but those became less and less popular and we did away with them a few years ago.

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Studio & Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ