Open Forum

View Only

Perusal Script Dilemma

• 1.  Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-12-2018 13:47
    Hi all,
    Like many of you, I'm already looking at material for next year. The problem is that my reading list is at least 20 scripts long, and I really can't afford to buy every single one of those books, especially with shipping costs added in. My school doesn't have Amazon Prime, and several scripts I'm interested in aren't available there anyway. I know you can read about 75% of the scripts on Playscripts, but does anyone else have tips on how to save money during the search? I know the writers deserve their money, but I can't drop $15 on a script only to realize 20 pages in that it won't work for my group. :-(

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 09:49
    Have you looked into your local libraries including not just the public but your local community colleges or universities? You could also hit up your friends who are performing in the local community. They probably have multiple scripts from past shows you could look through (although the appropriateness will vary according to the type of work your friends tend to do). You could also check arrange to spend some time at a sister school and peruse scripts that the others in your district have. I can usually tell within 5 pages if the script will work for my students. Just make sure you're perusing the scripts that you can't read online to make the best use of your time.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 09:49
    Hi! I know the struggle all too well.

At the beginning of this school year I moved to Texas and started a new teaching job here. One of the first things I was delighted to discover is that there is a "Drama Loan Library" available to Texas teachers. We can borrow up to 10 scripts at a time from their 40,000 script collection for a flat fee of $7.00. We do have to pay to ship them back, but they provide the envelope and shipping is cheap because you can send it media mail rate. It's pretty amazing. I wish more states had such a thing.

I just looked, and on their website (https://www.uiltexas.org/theatre/resources/drama-loan-library) it says "Any responsible adult connected with a school system in the State of Texas with membership in the University Interscholastic League may use the library. Any other school, organization or individual must pay an annual $30.00 fee for library usage." I'm not entirely sure if they mean any school in any state, but it may be worth contacting them to find out. It's not free, but it would certainly cost less than buying all those scripts. 

My only other ideas are inter-library loan through your school or public library. This option would take much more time and research, but with all the great colleges and universities in Virginia, I feel like your chances of finding the plays you are looking for are greater than in some other areas.

I've noticed that some other play publishing companies (besides Playscripts- but kudos to them for starting the movement!) have started offering free excerpts of plays, and I hope that becomes more standard. Good luck! 

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Fort Stockton, TX

• 4.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 09:52
    I have my advanced theatre class do proposals for our plays and musicals every year. I think it's a good teaching moment for them to learn how to pitch things they are passionate about while also looking at the logistics of what's feasible with budgeting and casting (limited males for musicals, etc.). I'll have them all propose at least one show and they pitch them to the class and the class as a whole picks their top three and then usually I have my thespian executive committee choose from those. That's the way I narrow things down and then only have to order three full scripts.

I teach this process in my Theatre Arts II class since they stage <g class="gr_ gr_839 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="839" data-gr-id="839">a </g><g class="gr_ gr_779 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="779" data-gr-id="779"><g class="gr_ gr_839 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Grammar only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="839" data-gr-id="839">one</g> act</g> play to produce from within that one class. That way when they're in the advanced class they already know how the process works.

Otherwise, I just try to read as much as I can online, Playscripts excerpts like you mention, or searching online, you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how much has been scanned and uploaded!

I hope that helps a little!

-Will

William Healy
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Henrico VA

• 5.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 10:09
    Two suggestions:
    I have had, in the past, a play reading committee. They chose what they wanted to present and read the script, outlined cast needs, tech needs, history of the play, and marketing ideas. It gives the students ownership of what we do. A few times I gave them a list of scripts so that I had some control

What about going ahead and buying the scripts and putting them on the shelf for future reference or for the students to read? It might not work this year but it might work next year. What about monologues or scenes from the scripts?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 12:13
    Stage Partners allows you to read the whole script online.

We were working on a production of A Wrinkle In Time (before the rights got pulled for the big movie release - not Stage Partners fault)  and there are a few different adaptations.  We were able to read them all free of charge and choose the one that fit us best.  They have other titles - worth a look. Also, super professional to work with.

www.yourstagepartners.com

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 12:41
    I say the following with full understanding that the process of scanning a script and placing it online is completely illegal.  I have started doing a Google search of a title with "full text" after it.  Really often, some theatre company or school has scanned it in for people to review before auditioning, etc.  If you find a scanned script online, read it immediately, because they do get taken down.

I always buy the full compliment of scripts for all our actors and design/tech team for shows we produce.  Always.  (Much love, playwright friends!)  But I am really, really tired of paying $9.95 plus shipping only to find "f--ing" on the 5th page in, a woman called a "c--t" on the 10th page.  I can't even put that script in my reading library in the classroom, and I don't like wasting my drama budget.

While we are on the topic, it would be fabulous if we could give some kind of indication on this forum if we are suggesting a play that has language most of our school communities would find objectionable.  I'm not talking about minor cursing.  I teach in a very liberal area.  It would just be nice to have a heads up before we order plays we haven't a snowball's chance in hell of producing.

Peace.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 12:36
    I second reaching out to your local college/university. If you have a local community or regional theatre, they may also be a good resource. There are a lot of companies that offer a sample of the plays online that will give you a good idea of its content. 

I also have my advanced students propose plays that they would like to see us do. They provide an analysis of the play that includes casting, technical, and budget requirements. It's a great project for the advanced students. 

Also, have you tried reaching out to playwrights directly. I know that many are willing to help teachers by sending them a digital except of their script for consideration. I have had great luck with this. 

Best,

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 9.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 12:52
    Thank you all for the tips. I'll definitely check out some of these resources. My problem is that I'm often looking at very new or underdone work, so other schools and theaters in the area wouldn't necessarily have copies. That's the same reason it's hard for me to have my students pitch plays to me -- because we're usually unearthing unexpected material. I would definitely consider having a play reading committee, but I'd still need to order several full scripts for them to read. And of course I always shelve scripts for future productions or scene work, unless I just ended up totally hating it. I think I will try reaching out to a couple of the playwrights, good suggestion.

Ideas to help other people -- if the script is on Amazon, you can sometimes get a free sample sent to your Kindle. And then the Kindle edition is usually cheaper than the paper script if you just want to read it. Also, I recently learned that Theatrical Rights Worldwide (who has been great about sharing perusals with me) will give perusals to teachers at conferences, so if you're at a conference and see their booth, hit them up!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 10.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-13-2018 16:19

Please please please do not got hunting for "full script" versions online. I can't tell you how infuriating that is to the creators of those works that people are illegally photocopying and posting (!) their work online. Just because you weren't the one to break the law doesn't mean that you using those scripts is ever permissible.

(Not only that, but a lot of those "free scripts" sites are actually stuffed with malware and viruses, so downloading those things is a doubly terrible idea.)

I would love to see more publishers use free samples along the lines of what Playscripts has done. I think most of them are beginning to move, however slowly, in that direction. You can also reach out to playwrights; sometimes we will share larger pieces of our plays, since getting a production is much more important than a script sale. I will talk to my publishers about putting more samples online, but it's going to take some time.

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 11.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-15-2018 08:59
    I really like the suggestion about reaching out to the author directly, I'd never thought of that! It makes total sense that they'd care more about getting their play produced than selling a single copy of the script so might have excerpts available even if the publisher doesn't. That would probably be especially true for new/underdone work like you mention!

-Will

William Healy
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Henrico VA

• 12.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-14-2018 07:58
    You can also read perusals at:
    https://www.yourstagepartners.com/

They are a newish company and they have a variety of pieces.  We chose to do A Wrinkle in Time last year, and it was extremely popular as well as stylistically challenging.  They also have it in both full-length and one-act versions.

They also have EXCELLENT customer service.  The owners are very responsive.
    Hope this helps!

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

• 13.  RE: Perusal Script Dilemma

Posted 02-15-2018 11:50

More and more publishers, at least the newer and/or more progressive ones, have substantial samples online. Playscripts and Stage Partners do, as has been mentioned before. YouthPLAYS does as well, putting roughly 75-80% of the script online. By that point, you can probably tell if a play is a likely fit--at least enough of a fit to read the ending.

A great way to get free scripts directly from playwrights pre-publication (for example, Don Zolidis or me), is to join our email lists. We often make complete plays available to teachers on our lists as we search for early productions for them. In fact, you might even end up with a world premiere that way. Once a play is published, it may be contractually impossible for playwrights to provide reading copies--but until that point, most people are fairly willing to send them out.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA