Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What Kind of Paint?

Posted 08-03-2018 21:21
    Hi friends and colleagues,

Our stage floor is this very old, stained, and damaged wood laminate paneling. It looks terrible, so I finally was able to convince my principal to let us paint it black since it will look better and be easier to maintain. My question is:  What kind of paint would work best over the wood laminate? We want it to be permanent and not to peel. I'm fine with touchups but don't want to repaint more than once a year.

Thanks so much! :)

------------------------------
    Ms. Jamie M. Scherer, M.Ed.
    Theatre Director
    Dayton, NV

• 2.  RE: What Kind of Paint?

Posted 08-05-2018 12:04
    There was a pretty good discussion on this topic not too long ago; try searching "Floor Paint" in the search bar.  Erich Friend posted a nice reply.  I'll try to post the link below. 

Also, I would suggest covering your old floor with "masonite" or tempered hardboard, tape it together with Gaffer's tape and then paint it.  A ground cloth can also be a wonderful thing and I've had good results with these approaches over the years.

But, Erich's post is pretty complete.

Best
     Open Forum
    Schooltheatre remove preview
    Open Forum
    Join the discussion happening in EdTA's Theatre Education community!
    View this on Schooltheatre >

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: What Kind of Paint?

Posted 08-06-2018 19:01
    ​Good afternoon,

Rosco makes a great floor paint (Tough Prime Black) that we have on our stage. Hold up very well and is easy to touch up. Masonite is another good alternative.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School