Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play Proposal Assignment for Advanced/Honors Course

Posted 07-20-2017 16:58
    Hi! I am considering a new assignment for my combined Advanced Drama/Honors Drama course.  I am the new Drama teacher here, but I taught Drama at another school for a few years. Since I don't know the students very well, I am thinking of creating a first assignment that has them help me to pick a Fall show.

Have any of you done an assignment like this?  I'm thinking of putting them into groups of 4-5, having them pick a play (maybe with my guidance or a list), having them perform an important scene, create initial designs, and then propose it to the class.  We would then vote as a class together on which play would be best.  

What do you think?  Any amazing ideas out there?

I am new to the forum and I have learned so much from the posts on here, that I thought I would put it out there!
    Thank you!

------------------------------
    Naomi Rollins
    Beginning, Advanced & Honors Drama Teacher
    Lynbrook High School
    San Jose CA

• 2.  RE: Play Proposal Assignment for Advanced/Honors Course

Posted 07-21-2017 11:11
    I think it's great that you'd like to include their voice in choosing.  This might be a helpful starting point:
    Including the Student Voice in Picking Shows.  Once you decide on general criteria it would help each group have a box to select their own play from.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 3.  RE: Play Proposal Assignment for Advanced/Honors Course

Posted 07-21-2017 11:55
      |   view attached
    Here is a Directing Proposal Guidelines form that I used when I was the Artistic Director of the Washington Shakespeare Festival and have adapted for a new class I am creating on teaching students to direct for Drama Teachers Academy. 

I hope it helps. Adapt as needed for your classroom.

James

--
    "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." - Shakespeare

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Play Proposal Assignment for Advanced/Honors Course

Posted 07-21-2017 12:08
    Naomi! Welcome to the school district. I am at Fremont High in Sunnyvale. I do a season-picking assignment with my students every spring that is a mix of reading, discussing, proposing, voting, discussing, and voting again.
    Here's my advice: Nail down dates first.
    Come visit me at Fremont and I will loan you a bunch of scripts.
    Let's talk.

Billy Houck