Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  African Ritual Theatre

Posted 02-26-2020 12:02
    I'm teaching a World Theatre unit with my Intro to Theatre class.  I already have lesson units for Kabuki and Balinese Shadow Puppetry.  I'd like to include material or activities about African Ritual Theatre.  Any resources, lessons or ideas you'd suggest?

------------------------------
    Jason Coats
    Shawnee Mission Northwest HS
    Thespian Troupe #888
    Shawnee, KS

• 2.  RE: African Ritual Theatre

Posted 02-28-2020 08:57
    While I don't have any recommendations pertaining to ritual theatre, and I don't know if there's a particular region of Africa that fits with your curriculum more than others, I'd recommend a unit on the Market Theatre of South Africa in the Apartheid era. I don't know whether your world theatre unit is strictly focused on older art forms or the origins of theatre around the world, so this may not pertain. However, my students have always really enjoyed reading the political/clown play "Woza, Albert!" by Mbogeni Ngema & Percy Mtwa. I sometimes also have them look at the "Born in the RSA" works from Barney Simon. Again, this may not work for you--I teach it in the context of "theatre as language for communication, connection, and revolution," but I thought I'd throw it out here. 

Best of Luck!

Meg O'Connor
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    oconnormainstage.com