Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First Inductions, stars

Posted 05-05-2017 07:48
    Hi All,

We are having our first induction ceremony soon and some of my students have earned stars.  Are there actual stars?  Do I have to order them from the website?  Do they get added to the certificate?  Where on the certificate?  I've used google images to see what it might look like but haven't found any.  Please help, any advice is appreciated.

------------------------------
    Carol] Siegel
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Island Trees High School
    Levittown, NY
    516-520-2135

• 2.  RE: First Inductions, stars

Posted 05-05-2017 08:32
    They're in the store here on this site. there are stickers to put on the certificates and pins to put on the letter jackets (or wherever). If I understand it right, they get up to five, and when they achieve the Honor Thespian level, the Honor Bar replaces the stars (and they start accruing stars again till they reach the next level).

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: First Inductions, stars

Posted 05-05-2017 09:10
    Thank you!

Carol] Siegel
    Certified Theatre Educator
    Island Trees High School
    Levittown, NY
    516-520-2135

• 4.  RE: First Inductions, stars

Posted 05-05-2017 11:49
    I want to note that you aren't required to use the star pins or stickers, but can form your own way of recognizing their star earnings. Pins are nice if letterman jackets are still a thing at your school and many students have an wear them (we don't even sell them any more at my school), and/or if students are allowed to wear them on their graduation garb (ours do which is fun, but I know some schools don't allow it). The stickers are great for that first induction moment, but trying to hand them out in later years without the paper in their hand (they lose everything) is difficult. There are other certificates you can purchase but that can start to really add up, especially if you think the students don't really care to have the paper every time. Many troupes do this in different ways, which is why it's cool that EdTA has so many options for how to recognize student achievements in theatre.

You are a new troupe, so I'd ask the students how they think recognition for these items should look. They can help create the traditions that will last, and it's easier if they are part of that decision and are considering budget in the plan and the future too.

At my school we just call them out and recognize them and then on their senior year we actually give them the garb (pins, stole, cords,...) to recognize accomplishments so that they have them to wear at graduation. It gives the seniors tons to look forward to and recognizes them for continued involvement up to that point and by waiting, we don't end up with lost items that they want to be able to wear at graduation. Again this is just what works for us, and every troupe is different, so you get to do it the way that works for you. What matters most is that you are doing the recognition, not exactly how you do it.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair