Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 12-29-2016 19:07

I wondered if I could ask for your input. Starting in January I am teaching an online 10 week course on high school theatre management - for drama teachers who have been charged with managing their own high school theatre, as well as for people who want to be high school theatre managers, and for current high school managers who want to improve their operations practices.  While I have the course planned out to optimize applicable learning, there are universal issues that befall us all as high school theatre professionals, and I want to make sure that I cover topics and situations that are applicable. I am always interested in reading the posts in this forum, and it always seems that we are not alone in our issues.  So before we begin the session in January I would welcome insights from situations and issues you’ve come across in managing your high school theatre that you think would be important for me to address in the course. Thanks in advance for your input!  And - Happy New Year!

------------------------------
    Beth Rand
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager and HS Theatre Operations Coach and Instructor
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 2.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 12-30-2016 08:48

What a wonderful sounding course. Off the top of my head:

1. House Management: The importance of the entire audience experience from ticket buying until leaving the parking lot. We need to earn the right for our customers to return.

2. Safety: Understanding and avoiding the all-too-real hazards life on stage

3. Audience safety and traffic flow: Fire codes, etc. Basically: If something went horribly wrong, are you prepared to get your audience out quickly and safely. 

4. Life Balance: This is a High School Theatre. This is an extra-curricular activity. These are full-time students. 6 Hour rehearsals mean something has gone wrong in the process.

5. Budgeting: Fully understanding income sources and costs.

6. Keeping it legal: Copyright regulations, etc. 

7. Politics: Dealing with donors. This might be especially useful to those who manage in private school settings. Parents will throw their checkbook around to get their special snowflake on stage. Clearly stated policies are a must.

8. Lighting and sound basics: Knowing your theatre's tech systems inside and out.

Best of luck!

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 3.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 12-31-2016 12:42

Elizabeth,

This is a wonderful foundational topic for many of our colleagues! Working in an arts school, I have not had to face this problem, but in talking with my fellow theatre educators, a persistent issue is helping administrators to understand how the art works. What I mean by this is the implicit nature of our art as collaborative. Many administrations in high school programs see theatre as a "one-man show." In other words, that the theatre instructor should be able to handle all aspects of the medium in both teaching, practice and coaching after school. 

What I have been told by many friends and colleagues is that the results are expected to be high without the support of funding to hire professional collaborators. The argument I have told them to use is that the football team has multiple coaches, why would the theatre not need the same to be able to function? 

I think that this is a topic of concern, I don't know if there is a solution, but it may be a point to bring up in a course focussing on the management of school theatre by professionals.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 4.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-01-2017 13:09

Hello,

In terms of my own management experience, the school has entrusted me with the overall operation and upkeep of our space. To that end, they also have fully embraced the need to adequately fund the theatre (typically 10-12K per year). This allows us the opportunity to schedule inspections and repairs and to upgrade equipment. Larger system upgrades are scheduled three years in advance. As Erik Viker pointed out in a TD&T article years ago, administrators see theatrical systems as architecture not as mechanisms that require maintenance and upgrades. How many theaters are lovely to look at but increasingly difficult to use. This has not been the case in our school.

As a manager, it has been important that I educate the administration about the needs for system maintenance, technology upgrades as well as creating a viable schedule for use by outside groups (I get to sign off on all requests).  

Ultimately, it has been a matter of trust in what I tell them and on my part, to be a good steward of what we are given.

I believe, as was stated earlier by another respondent, that you need to know your theatre inside/out and to be able to intelligently approach needed upgrades, upkeep and repairs. To resist the urge to buy the new and shiny prior to evaluating the infrastructure needed to support it and then, once purchased, to actually use it and to teach students how to do so as well.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-03-2017 08:21

I suggest a unit on calendar management and rental / booking policies--how to establish, communicate and execute them efficiently.  In my experience, this was the most difficult part of being both theater manager (like an athletic director) and teaching colleague.  My principal, my boss, would tell outside entities they could use the space without checking to see if there were school performances scheduled. Or SGA would announce an emergency meeting in the auditorium on morning announcements the same day that a dance ensemble had already booked it as a rehearsal space.  Without a policy that you have drafted with your principal and communicated to the staff about the use of the space, what do you do?   Kick the dancers out? Bump the musical to the next weekend for a town hall meeting?  Not without a lot of resentment, with you squarely stuck in the middle every single time.   Having a professional, transparent and accessible procedure to book the space and a contract that everyone follows (including your shows) is super, super important.  

If you want suggestions about what kind of policies work the best, feel free to contact me off the forum. I can fill you in on my best practices over the years.  

Hope Love

• 6.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-02-2017 18:27

Scott, thanks for all your points, and yes, safety is such a big issue.  Although I've found some of the issues pertain more to a Drama teacher than a Theatre Manager per se (if one is lucky enough to have both!), they are all a part of the same system that they can't be ignored by either. Thanks for taking the time to share such great points!

Jason, I totally agree - it is a persistent issue getting administrators to understand.  In this course I plan to address that - the more educators who have the tools to educate their administrators the better.  I've also used the football team as an analogy, as well as a science lab and a woodshop. It's more obvious to administrators the collaboration needed for a football team to work well, or the safety issues of a science lab or woodshop - when they come see a play, all they see is the finished "magic".  It's no as easy to get the "Muggles" to understand what goes on behind the magic, that's for sure.

Dana, you are one of the growing lucky few whose admin has come to realize the importance of having good theatre management! The last three high school theatres I worked in (one as a lighting technician and designer, and two as TM’s with my own crew of technicians, working alongside and mentoring the student crews) also had jumped on the band wagon. It took a while to help them understand the importance of having technicians and not just having the TM acting as a TD, but schools do come around to situations like ours. That’s the vision of the course, to help others get to where you are. Thanks so much for sharing your example!

Thanks everyone for your input!  Some great thoughts and support, and I feel I'm on the right track for my students who are starting the new session this month. I’m so glad we have this forum to encourage each other in our journeys to advocate for safe, functional and vocational high school theatres!

Beth Rand
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 7.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-03-2017 11:43

Thanks for this thread. It reminds me how much a theatre management class in college has helped me through the years as I became and continue to be a self-producing playwright. Theatre management skills led me to my first temp "day jobs" in NYC -- for a Broadway press agent and in the subscription office at Lincoln Center -- as well as later helping me produce my premieres at the Edinburgh Fringe, FringeNYC and off-Broadway.

In addition to Scott's terrific list, I would add sections on fundraising, press and marketing (social media). Writing a press release is a great writing exercise. 

When I was teaching intro to theatre to 17-18-year old college freshman, I created a final project that, instead of being yet another research paper, was a grant proposal, a two-page paper that required a lot of thought and editing, where the student had to imagine what kind of theatre they would produce if they could. In answering just six questions, the student had to demonstrate the ability to create the equivalent of a mission statement, think about the audience and the space and address what might be their greatest need. Some students balked at first -- "where do I look up this stuff" -- but finally embraced the project fully, as something creative, something they might care about. It raised awareness of the challenges artists face and forced them to think about what they already knew about theatre. 

The grant proposals were submitted with no names on them and in class I replicated a grant panel, where we went over each grant, rated it and decided who would get funding and how much. While grades were based on my own assessments, I allowed myself to be swayed by the group, giving a better grade to one that the group deemed worthy, but never giving a lesser grade than I originally planned. Based on the Alliance of Resident Theatres / New York grant that I have applied for and been given myself through the years, I'm happy to share it with this group. Feel free to adapt it for your own purposes. Folks at ART/NY have given me their blessing and are pleased that their questions are being used to train students. I think if one can write a good grant proposal, which is basically telling a story, one can write a good college application essay, etc. The key is to let the students know they are talking to a panel of their peers, that they don't have to try to do "grant-speak," but be clear and concise.

Below is a copy of the information I give to the students. 

All the best with your classes!

Arlene Hutton

REALLIFE FOUNDATION grant application (from the ART/NY Nancy Quinn Fund grant)

Application Overview

You are applying for a grant of up to $2,000.00 The application consists of the questions below. The questions must be answered on no more than four single-sided 81⁄2" x 11" pages using the specifications in the box below. Anything over four pages will not be seen by the panel. Applicants submitting fewer than four pages have an equal chance with those submitting the maximum. Before each answer, please type the boldfaced portion of the question (not just the question’s number) and underline or bold it.

Specifications:

Margins: Typeface size: Pages:
    Email:

Deadline:

1" or more on all sides
    12 point or larger, do not handwrite
    No more than four 8 1/2" x 11" sheets
    as pdf or word file. NOT "docx".
    Write the name of your company and grant in the subject line, i.e. CRESCENDO THEATRE grant proposal
    DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE DOCUMENT.
    two days before your final exam (or earlier)

The class will meet promptly at your designated exam time, replicating a grant panel; i.e. we will formally discuss all the projects. Again: DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE GRANT PROPOSAL.

As a panel we will be evaluating your answers using these criteria:

•  Does this theatre company have a clear mission?

•  Does the programming support this mission?

•  Does the company work with an appropriate management structure?

•  Is the company deeply rooted in its community(ies)?

The panel's funding choices for the session will be entirely based on how well they feel each application has met the review criteria when compared to the entire pool of applications. The questions have been chosen to help the panel evaluate how well you meet the review criteria. It is in your best interest to read each question carefully and answer it completely.

It is also helpful to remember as you write your application, that you're talking to people like yourself. The panelists are students like yourselves, all of them making their own grant proposals. A successful application excites the panel about your work and makes them want to participate in it by funding you. Talk to them as you would to the director you're trying to entice to work on your next show. There is no special language to master. Just use honest, straightforward prose. Understand that the panel knows what it is like to produce theatre on a very small budget. Inconsistencies in your story; overly “happy” talk; claims of uniqueness, unless truly justified; or other attempts to mask reality are easily detected and usually a turn-off. As are negative statements about the field or other organizations. What does help is to articulate your artistic goals and to describe the journey you are taking to achieve them.

In order to make sure your application will be clear to the panelists, it is helpful to have someone else proof it for clarity and consistency. In other words, feel free to show a draft of your proposal to a friend, roommate or family member, but NOT someone in our class. Ask your reader if they would attend plays at "your" theatre!

Finally: edit, edit, edit. Rewriting is everything.

The Application Questions

1: Tell us the name of your imaginary theatre company. Briefly summarize your current programs and activities. Describe how they reflect your programming interests and goals and the communities they serve.
    When discussing the community each program serves, you may define community any way that seems appropriate for that program. The community could be artistic (for example, your company of actors); or it could be your audience (for example, family audiences); or it could be some combination. But it should answer the questions “For whom are you making this work?” and "What is your mission?"

It is helpful when discussing your current programming to give a brief overview of your artistic goals.

2: Who makes your artistic decisions? How are they made and/or what are they based on? There could be one head artistic director, a triad of directors, a producer, a committee compiled of a company of artists, a particular developmental process, or anything else that helps determine your programming.

3: Looking at the last year, choose one of your (imaginary) productions/programs and discuss its impact on your company. Please use a specific example that you feel represents your company well, and the evolution of its programming interests and goals, or was particularly pivotal in your development during the last year. Please address the following questions:

1. How does it reflect your theatre's programming interests and goals?
    2. Has it had an impact on your decisions about this year's programming?
    3. How would you define success for this piece/program? How well did you meet these goals? 4. What community(ies) did this piece/program serve?

Please, read the question carefully and make sure you answer it entirely. You do not need to discuss every piece that you produced last year. Pick one piece or program that you feel gives the best picture of your development and direction. More details about one truly representational or pivotal piece is more helpful than a little bit about everything. The example you choose does not have to be a fully-staged performance. It can be any part of your artistic output including: a reading series, a school program, or play development workshops. If you have not yet produced a piece, you may discuss an upcoming piece.

For the piece you choose, you must address all four subquestions. In particular, you must discuss how you define success for the piece. Please note that it's okay to acknowledge that a piece didn't succeed as you had hoped, or only partially succeeded. We're looking for an honest evaluation of your artistic journey, not a marketing brochure! The panel finds a discussion of what you learned from working on a project, and how it modified and/or expanded your goals, much more compelling then quotes from the reviews you received.

You will note that this question does not ask for a synopsis of the piece. Only include a synopsis if it is relevant to the four subquestions asked. As with Question 1, you may define community any way that seems appropriate for the piece/program you are discussing.

4: What are your company’s two greatest strengths?
    Given that a theatre company can’t survive long without dedicated and talented personnel, what are two other assets that your company possesses that help you achieve your goals? These can be highly concrete (for example, an annual lease on a rehearsal space at reasonable cost) or more abstract (a long history of working together which has helped you develop a common approach to the work).

5: What is your company's greatest challenge and how do you plan to address it?
    We all know times are tough and money is always a challenge. While money is important, clear vision is even more crucial. The argument “If we just had more money, everything would be fine.” is unlikely to be persuasive. Instead, tell us something specific about your company. What will your company achieve by focusing on this goal?

6: What will you use this grant for and why is this important to your company?
    When deciding what to apply for, consider your greatest challenge. Could this grant address the issue directly? Could it address the issue indirectly by freeing up other resources of time or money? If this grant will not be addressing your greatest challenge, you should discuss why you feel that what you're applying for is more compelling. The panel is much more inclined to fund applications with a clear link between the challenge and the request. Include in your answer a budget outlining how the money will be used and listing sources of additional income (if needed). The budget does not have to be highly detailed, but it does have to show that you have considered the cost of your request.
    NOTE: This request for a budget is often ignored. Please don't. It's one of the best ways for the panelists to assess the reasonableness of your request. Requests they find reasonable are more likely to be funded.

Don't forget to proofread your application!!!

A SAMPLE GRANT

This sample will give you an idea of what is expected. The grant request below is neither good nor bad. Only when it is judged against other proposals can we see its merits. It could be the best grant in a group or the worst. One panel would fund this company while another might dismiss it. Use your own imagination to write the best grant proposal you can. I'm particularly interested in seeing what kind of theatre YOU would make if you had the resources and desire.

CRESCENDO THEATRE GRANT PROPOSAL

1: Briefly summarize your current programs and activities. Describe how they reflect your programming interests and goals and the communities they serve.

Our company, Crescendo, allows teenagers to explore and develop their creative voices by creating and collaborating on musicals. While the participants’ schools occasionally put on musicals, most of the local school theatre programs do not have the time or resources to attempt them more than once every two years. Our program allows them to explore the form both more frequently and more thoroughly. We believe the musical allows young artists from many different backgrounds, such as theatre, writing, music, or visual art, to refine their skills while learning to cooperate with others their age. Our program also allows the children to receive input and support from experienced adults who serve as consultants to the production. We hope to help the young people involved to mature both as artists and as members of the community by encouraging artistic expression and teamwork.

2: Who makes your artistic decisions? How are they made and/or what are they based on?

The teenagers involved in our program make the artistic decisions within the productions, although adult advisors frequently discuss the productions with the children and aid them to assure the feasibility of their wishes given our limited resources. Crescendo’s Production Director chooses which productions to pursue based on potential and plausibility and mediates conflicts between the children.

3: Looking at the last year, choose one of your productions/programs and discuss its impact on your company.

Crescendo produced Exclamation Point, a musical written, directed, designed, and performed by the teenagers in the program. While we believe there is merit in reviving musicals and do this as well, Exclamation Point is a realization of our mission. It allowed the young people involved to follow a production from conception to performance and use the skills they had learned in workshops and previous productions to create something of their own. The collaboration was a heartening step that encouraged us by proving that a teen-created production can succeed. The final product of the teenagers’ contribution was a blended musical of artistic merit to which its audience responded well. The success allowed the young people in our program to see the potential of their talents as well as experience the creation of a production. We plan to attempt another original musical this year.

1. 4:  What are your company’s two greatest strengths?

We were recently lucky enough to receive a venue from Herb Geller, a friend of Crescendo who left his music store and some of his instruments and equipment to us upon his death. The acquisition of a central area in which to gather and create music, costumes, and scripts has helped us achieve solidarity in the program. The youth in Crescendo treat it as a second home (sometimes it seems a few of them actually live there).

The response from the public has been stellar. Not only do we have a steady audience, but they are also willing to provide performance spaces. While we do not have a theater of our own, we use found-spaces thanks to the generosity of our community. We were able to perform Exclamation Point in a public library after- hours, and the schools in the area frequently allow us to use their auditoriums in order to rehearse, perform, and hold lighting workshops some weekends.

2. 5:  What is your company’s greatest challenge and how do you plan to address it?

While we are grateful for our headquarters, it is not always the easiest place in which to create theatre. We can often hear the teenage musicians developing songs from the old office and this can be distracting to others working on different projects. We also hope to start buildings some of our own costumes and props, and engage the students in these activities. Although we have the space to do this now, music stores do not come equipped to make these things. The children have proved themselves capable of producing a musical, however, we believe we cannot yet provide them with the most nurturing environment.

3. 6:  What will you use this grant for and why is this important to your company?

We hope to use the grant to transform an old music store into a place to write and realize musicals. By soundproofing the old office, we could have a practice room and with the supplies to make costumes we could foster more involvement in design and production.

Budget:
      $300 – Soundproofing

$1000 – Sewing machines and tables

$700 – Costume supplies

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY

• 8.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-04-2017 09:54

It really sounds like a wonderful course that I would greatly benefit from. 

Is it possible to join the course? 

thanks

Andrea Haeussler
    Drama Teacher and Theatre Manager
    Colegio Maya
    VIENNA VA

• 9.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-04-2017 12:38

Hi Andrea.  Yes!  The course starts on January 9th, and you actually have until the end of Week 2 to start (although you'd have some catch up to do).  I couldn't find your direct contact information, but if you could please contact me at my e-mail address in my signature line, then I can send you the course and registration information.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Regards,

Beth Rand
    www.PRESETT.org
    beth@PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 10.  RE: Theatre Management practices input requested

Posted 01-04-2017 12:56

Thanks for all the further discussion. Hope, sorry, I didn’t see your post before posting yesterday. Yes, absolutely, most people are surprised by how much scheduling there is to do, and how good scheduling will alleviate a lot of problems. A Theatre Manager has to be as happy sitting at a desk as they are up a genie lift! I also highly recommend having a calendar that your general public can access – a lot of school and district calendars are only accessible by employees. It does mean doubling up on your inputting, but it saves time if your high school theatre is being run like a ‘roadhouse’, as most are. It’s also important to work closely with the district and/or scheduler, as they don’t know the process. I can’t count the amount of times when someone has been booked in at 6:30 for a 7:00 event start - I don’t think so! Scheduling is an important part of the job, thanks so much for your input on that, because it’s something people don’t think about until it’s too late, as you say.

Arlene, it’s so great that your university has a Theatre Management course. So many don’t, and it’s such a viable vocation for someone who wants to earn a living in the theatre. I don’t know of any universities that offer a course in High School Theatre Management, which adds the education factor to the tech and management factors. If any one knows of any universities that offer a course specifically in High School Theatre Management, please let me know! Also, what people don’t realize is that fundraising and marketing your brand are also a part of High School Theatre Management – after all, the high school down the street is your “competition” when it comes to booking in outside events. Thanks so much for sharing the grant information. I would add – in the educational setting – a question we are always asked – how does this benefit the students. It’s hard, but not impossible, for ‘Muggles’ to understand why new LED cyc lights would benefit the education of your students. Great points, thanks so much!

Beth Rand
    www.PRESETT.org
    beth@PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA