Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-25-2019 23:41
    Hello! I am using Stage tracks for The Addams Family Musical. This is my first year without an accompanist. Usually he would vamp during set changes. I am finding set changes awkward  without music. Any suggestions?
    --
    Sara Giambalvo
    Vocal Music Director
    Speech and Debate Coach, Theatre Manager
    Herculaneum High School, Senn-Thomas Middle School

NOTE: This electronic mail message contains information that is or may be (a) legally privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named. If you are NOT the intended recipient you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying, or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you ARE the intended recipient or an addressee, you are hereby notified that copying, forwarding or in any other manner distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your system and contact the sender.

• 2.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 04:48
    Qlab actually has functionality for building vamps into your sound cues and they have great tutorials that show you how to do it. I believe that function is available on the free program, but renting a license is very reasonably priced and well worth it. 
    https://figure53.com/docs/qlab/v4/control/devamp-cues/

------------------------------
    Charles Jabour
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Somerville MA

• 3.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 08:10
    The App I am using is made by ROCS. Will this work with that?

Sara Giambalvo
    Herculaneum MO

• 4.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 08:45
    You can create a vamp of your own within Stage Tracks. If you set it to infinite repeats, your sound person will have to click the forward icon to move to the rest of the track.

Jamey Wood
    ACTS Director/Academic Dean
    Jamey Wood
    woodstock GA

• 5.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 09:00
    Hello,

We did Addams Family this past year.  There is no scene change music for the most part the scene changes happen during the tale end of some of the songs. With very few fade to black scenes.

The trouble with some of these modern musicals , High school do have tracking build into the stage which makes scene changes a snap.  Set pieces on casters are your friends. Transforming the house from outside to inside was much easier when you can move two flight of stairs (400lb) with just two 9th graders.

Ron Obringer
    North Tonawanda NY

• 6.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 12:51
    As Ron mentioned above, lots of times the scene change can happen during the show itself if the scenery and movements are planned carefully. This can help keep the show's momentum moving forward instead of stopping it.

You may want to check out a post I wrote in my blog about this a couple of years ago: https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/avoiding-blackouts/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 7.  RE: Accompaniment tracks during set changes

Posted 04-26-2019 13:36
    Here's a link to a video on ROCS website on how to edit & create vamps:

https://rightoncueservices.com/showready-tutorial-for-directors-making-edits-part-2-cuts-vamps/

Michael McDonough
    TRWAsst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York