Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Young playwrights contest deadline imminent!

Posted 04-27-2019 12:32

Hey folks,

Just a reminder that the deadline for YouthPLAYS' New Voices One-Act Competition for Young Playwrights is Wednesday, May 1st. It's open to playwrights 19 and younger as of the deadline, and it's for non-musical plays that run from 10-40 minutes. Winner gets publication, a cash prize and more. Full guidelines here.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

------------------------------
    Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 2.  RE: Young playwrights contest deadline imminent!

Posted 04-28-2019 10:38
    Hi Jonathon,

I have a student written play that meets all of the requirements listed, except for the fact that it was written by three of my students together, rather than one student. They wrote it for my Creative Writing class, and we are work-shopping it in my theatre class with my theatre students right now. It was a group assignment in my Creative Writing class, and I am really proud of the work my student writers did together. Is there any way their play could be admitted, even though it has three playwrights rather than one?

Thank you.
    Best,
    Hanna Rahilly

Hanna Rahilly
    English and Theatre Teacher
    Stanardsville VA

• 3.  RE: Young playwrights contest deadline imminent!

Posted 04-28-2019 13:08

Hi Hanna,

It sounds like these students have written a play of which they can be proud. Unfortunately, we're not able to offer an exception for the contest. The reason this rule exists is because one of the prizes is publication, and the reality is that the logistics of dealing with multiple authors on a project--from a business/legal standpoint--is simply too fraught with complications. While we occasionally have to deal with multiple entities in our main submission stream--musicals or adaptations of novels--we don't feel that we could take that on that added complexity for New Voices. I'm very sorry, but I hope that your students' play finds other opportunities to be seen.

Best wishes,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Young playwrights contest deadline imminent!

Posted 04-28-2019 13:14
    Jonathan,
    I completely understand. Thank you so much for your quick response.
    Best,
    Hanna