Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Master Class Ideas?

Posted 08-14-2018 12:44
    Hello! I need help. My principal wants me to teach a once a week 85 minute specialty class for middle school students. It needs to be special and centered around a theme of sorts. I can not think of anything to do!

------------------------------
    Alison Dingle
    Theater Teacher
    Adelson Educational Campus
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Master Class Ideas?

Posted 08-14-2018 13:58
    Are there any aspects you feel like you specialize in? And is this supposed to be performance or technically based? Or a combo of the two?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Master Class Ideas?

Posted 08-15-2018 07:07
    What about a clowning section? It’s fun but also always lots of movement and distinct characters. They can develop their clown. Name it, put the clown in different scenarios.

Look at clowns like Redd Skelton, Mr Bean, Tim Conway. You could watch videos and then have their clowns go through the same situations but through their clowns lens.

Hali Christopher

• 4.  RE: Master Class Ideas?

Posted 08-15-2018 16:00
    I often work with my Middle School students on ensemble building, theatre and improv games, adapting narrative into script format (usually thematically based), and retelling fairy tales in different theatre styles (i.e. The Greek Tragedy of the Three Little Pigs).

• 5.  RE: Master Class Ideas?

Posted 08-15-2018 16:50
    Middle school kids can do pretty much anything high school kids can, just in shorter bursts.

Will this be the same group every week, or rotating groups? Do these kids have theatre experience, or is their first taste?

I have never found success starting with improv - my students have always done best with more structured activities out of the gate. So something like 1-minute scenes (with or without verbiage), tableaus (you put it on stage, and we guess what's going on), or even creative choral recitations could be fun ideas.

I'm also ALWAYS a HUGE fan of puppets and masks if you have a budget for them.

Emily Coalson Stamets
    life coach for theatrical women & grown up theatre kids