Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-14-2017 08:32
    Our 2016-17 season was labeled "A Season for the Books", as all of our stories could be found in history or literature books: "937" (one-act about the Holocaust), Little Women, Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

For 2017-18, I'm considering the theme of people standing up for their rights.  In today's political climate, it is entirely relevant!  My strongest male actors are all graduating, so I need lots of roles for females.  I need at least one one-act for competition, and no musicals.

Already under consideration are These Shining Lives and The Good Fight. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Makala Witten
    Director, Troupe 3070
    Christiansburg High School
    Christiansburg, VA

• 2.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-14-2017 09:02
    This year, I directed Seven. It is a documentary play about seven women who have fought for human rights all over the world. It has a cast of seven women, but ensemble parts could easily be added. The play is only an hour long and it does deal with some very difficult subject matter. However, we had a great response from students, teachers, admin, and the community.

I cannot recommend it enough. The website for the play is https://seventheplay.com and performance rights are held by DPS.

---------------------------------
    Justin Charles
    Theater Manager
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake IL
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-17-2017 16:47
    I absolutely second both These Shining Lives and The Good Fight. Great shows, and they fit well with your theme. You might also want to check out either Triangle or The Triangle Factor Fire Project and Decision Height (about female WASP pilots during WWII).

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-18-2017 13:11
    If you have not yet done it, Radium Girls is a fantastic play that I think fits your needs (I may even be directing it myself next year). It's a full-length play, but there is also a competition one-act version available if you wanted to use it for that. It's available at Dramatic Publishing.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 5.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-18-2017 13:45
    These Shining Lives might be becoming the next most popular once act play, and there's very good reason for it. Solid character driven piece, based on a true story of the radium poisoning of watch painters. Solid choice, I third it. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-18-2017 17:02
    If you're considering anything classical, Antigone is a good one. She stands up against the laws of her King so as to respect the laws of the Gods.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 7.  RE: Resistance/Rights suggestions needed

Posted 04-19-2017 10:49
    There's always Orwell's 1984.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach