Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scholarship auditions

Posted 01-28-2017 19:22
    Does anyone know what exactly happens with the state level scholarship auditions? This is our first year, and I want to help my one junior who is interested feel confident and do well. I have no idea what the judges will ask her to do or how to help her prepare.
    --
    Sheryl Davis M.Ed
    Secondary Teacher
    Drama Director
    Lee Christian School

• 2.  RE: Scholarship auditions

Posted 02-01-2017 13:10
    For NC we only allow seniors to do scholarship interviews. For the scholarship interviews they will be held by a board member and usually the EdTA representative plus chapter director if I don't have any students involved.  It is just an interview as our scholarships are not divided into a performance or technical or educational set. For juniors we do have college auditions.  Technical students have 5 minutes to present portfolios and performance students have 2 minutes to show off their best work.  Either two monologues or a monologue and a musical theatre song.   

------------------------------
    [Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 3.  RE: Scholarship auditions

Posted 02-04-2017 07:19
    Thank you all for the information. Chris, when you say college audition, I assume you mean for acceptance into a performing arts college. Is that so? 

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 4.  RE: Scholarship auditions

Posted 02-02-2017 09:39
    I'd contact your state board and ask for the specifics for your state. You might even be able to arrange to have an alumni (from another school) come by and chat with you/your kids on personal experiences. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Scholarship auditions

Posted 02-03-2017 09:24
    Hello,

I have chaired the International Thespian Scholarships for the last two decades at the annual summer festival. There is good information about auditioning on the website. There is good scholarship money available for students there and I would encourage your talented seniors to apply. The Thespian Scholarships at the International Summer Festival in Lincoln are for the students who are seniors this year and the money is icing on the cake for recipients. 

Students who are juniors audition for the college scholarships there.

Break a leg!

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN