Open Forum

View Only

Do Not Audition List

• 1.  Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-05-2019 20:28

You've probably seen the Do Not Sing List videos that go over the songs you should never audition with (my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgAlDGX5Y6g). I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has suffered through the same monologue over and over again (though the past few years I have been very clear with students that there are some monologues they will not perform). Here's my list, and I'd love to see yours, so I can warn my students for future auditions. And I am not necessarily suggesting that the monologues are bad, but only that I have heard them way too many times, and when a student performs one of them, it almost always means they searched for monologues and have not read the play they came from.

"I need detention!" Yeah, the girl's name is Harm, and you spent 30 seconds googling a monologue.

"I don't like to be touched." Let me guess: your name is Harm.

"Neverland 911, what's your emergency?" For one audition, three girls used this. I ranted to every class afterwards that they would never again use a monologue in which the character was talking on the phone.

"I kissed a boy once. At least, I tried to." The first time it was cute. The second time was fine, the tenth time was unbearable. And please see the note about googling a monologue.

"It does not say RSVP on the statue of Liberty." Yeah, that's not from a play. And are you just copying the actress? Oh, you just pronounced "Haitians" correctly, so  you don't even know what this is from.

"Let me tell you something about Janis Ian." I love Mean Girls too (that's why I always wear pink on Wednesdays) but again, that's not from a play. What's worse is when the girl doesn't realize the point of the monologue is to show just how ignorant and stupid Regina George is.

"I ate the divorce papers, Charles." And I'm eating your audition sheet.

"I've always dreamed of being a hero." Nope.

"I'm in line to see William Shatner." Hmm, I'm starting sense a pattern here. And thanks for auditioning. Next! 

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-06-2019 07:13

Ken, are you talking about auditioning for plays or do you use auditions for other purposes (like a club or class or something)? 

Do any of you have students select their audition from outside of the script? If so, why? I can't think of an upside to doing that instead of pulling monologues and scenes from the play itself. 

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 3.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-06-2019 12:50
    Some of these I heard in class and some at auditions. I sometimes ask students to find a monologue that matches the tone of the play they are auditioning for. It's like Van Halen requesting no Brown M&Ms in their green room (a great and true story, if you're not aware of it) - if a student is auditioning for Wit, but does the Neverland 911 monologue, I know immediately that she has not read the play and has not bothered to prepare. 

Casey - if I had a dollar for every time I've heard a Kellie Powell monologue, I could retire!

This is not to say the monologues and plays they come from are bad, just they are way overused, and often suggest that a student was lazy in finding it.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA

Theater kills ignorance

• 4.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-06-2019 07:32
    My painful audition tends to be the one kids perform to get into my program (a magnet-style theatre training program). When I'm doing shows, I usually do cold readings from the script, movement work (if it's something like Mary Zimmerman), or prepared songs for the musical. When they're picking monologues for class, I try to help them find decent material.

My no-fly list for adjudications includes:
    "This morning, a bird woke me up..." from The Fantasticks
    Anything from You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown, especially that coat hanger monologue!
    Anything from ActorPoint.com or by Kellie Powell
    I'm a little tired of Star Spangled Girl, too.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-07-2019 07:50
    "Excuse me Mr. Cornell, ah have tried to be neighborly....."

No more. Please.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 6.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-07-2019 08:18
    Dianne,
    You beat me to it!  
    That made me smile....

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-07-2019 09:30
    I told my students that any student performing the monologue from Star Spangled Girl would fail the quarter in which they performed it.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Retired
    Centreville VA

• 8.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-07-2019 10:09
    Instead of telling them what they can't do, how about giving them a list of pieces they can use, like a list of plays they can pull scenes from. 

I've also seen directors issue a variety of "sides" from the play itself.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 9.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-07-2019 11:57
    "Instead of telling them what they can't do, how about giving them a list of pieces they can use, like a list of plays they can pull scenes from."

But then what I have to complain about?!

For play auditions I often give students a few monologues from the show to perform (or just do sides). For class work or class auditions, I sometimes learn as much about the student by their monologue choice than I do from their performance.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA

Theater kills ignorance

• 10.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-13-2019 14:35
    The problem with giving monologue ideas is that then those are the only ones you see for that show (over and over and over...!)  But I often do give options that are from or similar in style to the show we're doing.  I've also tried to cultivate an environment of being proud to choose their own monologues, so the students who are doing the suggested monologues are usually newer and less experienced, while more experienced students are using it as a guide and find their own similar pieces for auditions.

Regarding DM Larson, I banned his stuff years ago for the reason that a large portion of his material is written as a stand alone monologue.  I am working to instill in my students a sense of context, of researching the play and the character so that, even in that 90 second performance, they are fulfilling the intentions of the playwright.  That becomes very difficult when the 90 second monologue is the entire play.  I didn't feel I was setting my students up for success in the future.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 11.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-10-2019 19:34
    I've started not allowing anything by D.M. Larson or Gabriel Davis, as I've heard all of them multiple times a year. They're not allowed at I.E. anyway, so I'd rather have them honing material that they can also use there.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 12.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-11-2019 11:27
    You're in Washington, right? We do things differently in Iowa for Speech so can I ask why those authors aren't allowed at I.E.? For the record, I like a lot of his stuff and they're free, but I'm getting to the point where I have Larson fatigue! Let's branch out, kiddos! Find something new and unique and INTERESTING! 

(And if I have to coach ONE more trite scene about twisted fairy tales or Shakespeare retold, I'm gonna cry.)
    --

Paige Junge
    English Teacher 
    Head Speech Coach & Thespian Director
    Marion High School

Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.§§2510-2521 and contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you should not review, use, disclose, distribute, copy, or forward this email.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete/destroy any and all copies of the original message.

Please note that any statements or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Marion Independent School District. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late, incomplete, or contain viruses.  Therefore, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Marion Independent District accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Marion Independent School District: 777 S. 15th ST Marion, IA 52302 (319) 377-4469

• 13.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-11-2019 11:38
    Here is the official word we got last year (I edited some of it out that did not pertain to this):

Fellow Thespians,

There has been some confusion across the state as to what is acceptable material for IE competitions.  With this email I hope to add some clarity.  I apologize for its length, but please read through to the end.

The biggest issue is with self-publishing authors.  One specific author, DM Larson is not an acceptable author on the national level.  There are other self-publishing authors that fall in a grey area, which I will address later in the email. The other major issues is the use of Neil Simon material, acapella songs, and gender reversal.

To begin, the following has been available to all teachers/troupe directors since the beginning of the year on the Washington Thespians website:

National Individual Events Guide, 2017-18

From Page 4

5.     Acceptable material for all NIEs events:
    a.     Published scripts written for the theatre ONLY. If the participant is using a piece that is also a movie, the performance must be from the play or musical, not the movie script.
    b.     Songs from a musical that have been written for the theatre (regardless of its previous publication as a classical or popular song - e.g., Forever Plaid, Mamma Mia, etc.).
    c.     It's difficult to address every situation in this document, but fundamentally, the guide is that the piece must either have: i. publisher permission (NOT author-only permission); or ii. available for sale in a libretto, play, vocal selection, or musical score. 

I am a member of the NIES national committee who is charged with reviewing and creating the national guidelines for all events and I can tell you that other states across the nation are facing the same issues that we do in Washington State.  After a very long discussion of the committee this weekend it was determined that the language in the 2017 - 2018 guidelines regarding self-publishing materials was not clear enough and as a result a number of authors will be allowed as acceptable selections for this year.  This was the consensus of the committee but no one was particularly happy with the result.  This will be changed for next year with specific language in the guidelines so that states are not having to make the decisions as to what is appropriate and what is not.

In addition to DM Larson the following partial list of authors will be on next years unacceptable list:

Gabriel Davis
    Floyd Dell
    GL Horton
    Jennifer Maisel
    Kellie Powell

In short, self published = not permitted.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 14.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-12-2019 22:09
    I had a student qualify for nationals with a Gabriel Davis monologue. If this is against the rules, how did she qualify?

Rachel Sparks
    Ches Beach MD

• 15.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-13-2019 11:39
    This was just the information I was given, so I am not sure. Perhaps someone with ITS can chime in here and clarify? @Ginny Butsch ?​

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 16.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 03-13-2019 13:10

We encourage students and teachers to review the National Individual Events Guide thoroughly so they become aware of the rules and regulations. This helps prevent any confusion when presenting at the state or national level.  While we ask for the states to adhere to the guidelines, it is ultimately the responsibility of the students and teachers to verify details to ensure compliance with the I.E. rules and regulations. 

Rachel - I will reach out to you separately so we may discuss further. 

Please find information below from the National Individual Events Guide – Pages 4-5

Acceptable Material / Non-musical NIEs performance events:

1.Selections from full-length or one-act plays and musicals, and published by:

• Broadway Play Publishing
    • Dramatic Publishing
    • Dramatists Play Service
    • Music Theatre International
    • Playscripts, Inc.
    • Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatricals
    • Samuel French, Inc.
    • Smith and Kraus
    • Tams-Witmark
    • The Musical Company
    • Theatrefolk
    • Theatrical Rights Worldwide
    • YouthPLAYS
    • Any public domain play written prior to 1923
    1. The only D.M. Larson selection available for use in NIEs are from the plays listed below. All other D.M. Larson monologues will result in a disqualification.
    • Beauty IS a Beast - ISBN-13: 978-1511495967
    • Big Nose - ISBN-13: 978-1542471077
    • Death of an Insurance Salesman - ISBN-13: 978-1518665547
    • Ebony Scrooge - ISBN-13: 978-1537655239
    • Flowers in the Desert - ISBN-13: 978-1530169085
    • Holka Polka! - ISBN-13: 978-1502445490
    • Operation Redneck - ISBN-13: 978-1540824349
    • Somebody Famous - ISBN-13: 978-1539753483
    • Superhero Support Group - ISBN-13: 978-1540471772
    • My William Shatner Man Crush - ISBN-13: 978-1505910155 To Be A Star - ISBN-13: 978-1541300200
    1. Exceptions can be made for publishing companies not listed above (e.g., foreign publishing houses). Exceptions will need to be submitted nationally by April 1, 2019. Each chapter will have their own requirement for timing for their exceptions, but all exceptions will need to be approved by Events Assistant Manager, Becca Wren. The form can be found in Appendix B (page 29).
    1. The following are unacceptable material for non-musical NIEs performance events:
    • Author-only permission.
    • Any play (or monologue from a musical) not published by one of the publishers listed above or by a pre-approved publishing company.

Thank you!

Jim Curtis
    Events Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 17.  RE: Do Not Audition List

Posted 06-21-2019 01:40
    Why isn’t Pioneer Drama on this list?

Sent from my iPhone