Open Forum

View Only

Participation/Costume Fee?

• 1.  Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-11-2017 20:28
    I am considering charging a $30-50 free for students cast in our Spring musical. Does anyone else do this and if so, how much? Do students get to keep costumes then? It's a public high school. Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Trinna Pye

Port St. Lucie FL

• 2.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-11-2017 23:43
    I spent so much time dwelling on this question last year. Here's what the National Youth Music Theatre (NYMT) in the UK does (which is what my organization now does as well): They charge a "course fee" to participate in their productions. If a student thinks they'll have a hard time affording the course fee, NYMT tasks them with doing a fundraising event. That can be crowdfunding on a site like GoFundMe or holding a bake sale or playing guitar at a coffee shop for tips. This serves a dual purpose: 1) It teaches them how to fundraise. Almost all of my really successful students have had to self-produce their own work in NYC at one point or another. So learning how to fundraise has been integral to their success. We just started using this system this year, but I wish we'd used it from the beginning; it would have saved me a lot of time providing individual Fundraising 101 lessons at coffee shops to struggling alumni. 2) It generates the money that you need to make your program successful and sustainable. I feel like this system would work especially well for you because anyone can raise $30-50.

And no organization to my knowledge that charges a course fee or a production fee allows the students to keep their costumes. Put the costumes back into storage and let the next student's $30-50 fee pay for alterations, repairs, and additional accessories.

------------------------------
    Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 09:25
    I charge a 30 dollar participation fee. It is very helpful and cuts costs a LITTLE bit for the costumes.  I also work in a public school, and offer a grant to any student that can't pay. It's a very common practice in Utah.

Andrew Hunsaker
    Teacher/Chapter Director
    Spanish Fork High School
    Spanish Fork UT

• 4.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 07:28
    I directed at a school once that did this sort of thing. It was an affluent school and I guess the parents thought of it as the cost of doing business.

Where I teach now I would never charge a costume fee. I am at an urban school with students from a wide range of financial situations. 

We undertake fundraisers throughout the year to help offset the expense of production. Some parents never participate in these fundraisers and some always do. We always say that participation is required but look the other way when parents don't get involved.

I am uncomfortable making theatre a pay-as-you-go situation. I think paying a fee like this limits access to the students who stand to gain the most from their involvement.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 08:05

I teach in a middle school, and my productions are all rehearsed after school. I have a stagecraft class that helps with props and sets in the fall. All rehearsals, etc, are outside class hours and my students are not required to work on the show.

I charge an upfront fee for each production which covers the cost of costume rental if needed (we rent from an outside source, since we have very little storage space) a show Tshirt, our opening night cast/crew pre-show dinner, and cast party. Depending on the shirts, sometimes we make a few bucks and sometimes we cover the difference. This saves me from collecting money all along the way.

I also make it clear that this fee should not stop anyone from participating, and if they are concerned about it, they need to speak with me. I have waived the fee many times over the years. It has never been a problem (to my knowledge) but my district is relatively affluent. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 08:18
    90% of the costs of our shows are paid for by our Parent Boosters, and they raise most of their money through their HUGE fundraising event (crab feast), and then they also keep the ticket sales from our shows. However, we also offer our families 3 choices of "Production Packages" to cover things like show shirts, photo packages, tech week food, etc. They can pay $50, $30 or $0. The only difference is that the $30 and $0 don't get the photo package. Often, those who CAN pay the $50, will pay more to cover those who have to pay the $0. In the time that I've been here, I've never seen anyone take advantage of the lower choices if they could afford the higher.

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 7.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 08:33
    I have a $50 participation fee for the musical (and $30 for the plays) which includes a cast t-shirt. I have never removed/not cast a student because they couldn't pay. I'll often ask for them to bring in whatever they can to help pay for the shirts, but I don't make a big deal out of it, and don't remind them about it. We make enough on ticket sales and parent boosters to be self-sustaining, so a few kids not paying the fee doesn't hurt the budget.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 08:33
    I have begun collecting a $20 fee from each student to cover the cost of t-shirts and water bottles and snacks for late night rehearsals.  I've had no kick-back, as parents know that other activities (football, cheerleading, band) can be very expensive.
    I tell them that if the cost is prohibitive, they can see me to find a way to earn the money through extra work in the costume or prop closet.

Hope this helps.

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!

• 9.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 09:36
    We have no participation fees for our performances. We also have a wide variety of financial situations in our school. Our costumes are usually purchased (can designed and sewn) by one of our sponsors. It's been a really effective way to offset costs.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 10:04
    I charge around $50 for the stage crew and $85 for the cast.  This fee covers tech week meals/supplies, dry cleaning and production expenses.   Have never had a parent complain, since their kid is learning amazing things AND sometimes I have a family who can't afford it and a guardian angel steps in, to pay.

Ms. Valerie O'Riordan Drama Director
    , Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    175 Phelan Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94112

AUDITIONS FOR OUR SPRING MUSICAL!
    December 11-13 after school in theatre
    (must be present at all three days to be considered for a part)
    Pit Orchestra Auditions December 14 @ 12:15 after finals
    How To Succeed in Business...without really trying

• 11.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 10:59
    I do not charge students fees to participate in the shows because, quite frankly, I do not believe in a pay to play kind of system. We have no boosters, and are self-sufficient. We make all of our money from ticket sales, and other fundraisers we do throughout the year. The only thing I've ever required for a show was last year, for our musical, I required everyone in the cast and crew to purchase the show t-shirt, for which we made a small profit. I think it was like $15. I also ask students in the show to sell ads for our program, but I do not require it (I know some schools do). Students do have to pay their way to go to events like festivals, I.E., the Oregon Shakespeare festival, etc., but those costs sometimes get off-set by fundraisers the kids do.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 12.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 11:34
    It's illegal in California.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 13.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 09:22
    It's only illegal if a student is not given equal access, and I know there was an issue about fundraising to individual "accounts" for students for trips and things- it all has to go into a fund to make the EVENT less expensive overall and then the fee is divide equally. But the fee can only be REQUESTED, it can't be REQUIRED.

https://education-law.lawyers.com/school-law/pay-to-play-at-schools-has-some-crying-foul.html

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 14.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 20:48
    To clarify my earlier point:
    A ruling was made about four years ago in California that was the result of an ACLU lawsuit brought on behalf of parents that were being asked to pay hundreds of dollars for students to be involved in sports, band, cheerleading, lab fees, etc. Different school districts in the state have interpreted this in different ways, but the bottom line is, students in California public schools shouldn't be charged for anything that is part of their education.
    Here's a link to an article about how it has been implemented: 
    https://www.scpr.org/blogs/education/2014/05/28/16713/seven-things-california-public-schools-can-t-charg/

I've been teaching High School Theatre  for 38 years, often in seriously underfunded situations, but I've never charged students for participation. I don't think it's fair or right.

Billy Houck

Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 15.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 11:56
    I have always charged to offset costume fees, accessories, and special cleaning of the costumes.  My fee is generally $25 for one costume change and $35 for two or more costume changes.  I recently directed Beauty and the Beast and I raised the costume fee from $35 for basic characters (villagers/enchantress/maurice, etc.) to $45 for the enchanted characters.  Everyone was responsible for their hosiery, socks and shoes.

--
    KáRon Branch, Theatre & Stagecraft Instructor, AP Coordinator
    Sylvan Hills High School
    484 Bear Paw Rd.
    Sherwood, AR 72120
    kbranch7349@pcssd.org
    Phone: 501.833.1100
    Fax: 501.833.1104

• 16.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 12:30
    I don't charge anything to my students for many of the reasons other people have said. We live by our box office, and the profits from the previous show pay for the next one. We borrow costumes and repurpose sets from the community theatres with which we have partnerships. Parent volunteers provide the double-tech meal and I give them the option to buy ads in the program. Some students choose to sell ads, but it isn't required. The money in the theatre fund covers all other expenses (materials, rental/royalties, dry cleaning, etc.).

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 17.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-12-2017 16:09
    My school doesn't have a theater booster club, and we are not permitted to keep any of the box office sales, so I do charge a $40 costuming fee per student, per show. The students don't get to keep their costumes, but the fee covers repairs, dry cleaning, makeup, and meals for our dress rehearsals. I would never turn a student away for not being able to pay. The students also fund-raise by running a week-long children's theater camp. So far, I have never had a complaint about the fee and the money comes in handy as we frequently need to dry clean, repair costumes, and replenish the makeup.

Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 18.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 07:32
    I never charge anything. The only activities I charge for are fieldtrips and out District & State festivals. My students come from a wide range of financial situations and I don't want to hinder anyone form participating. I went to a high school that charged a pay-to-play fee and it almost kept me out of a couple of productions (I had 2 other siblings at school and all 3 of us were in marching band; it got expensive). We just do fundraising and I have to really watch my budget. We also borrow a lot of costumes and stuff to help offset costs.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 19.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 10:29
    I charge $30 for all cast and crew.  This fee covers food at the end of production celebration (a small party after striking), t-shirt, and helps with some production costs.  We also have some financial aid for students who need it, so that everyone can participate if they would like to.  Sports cost $100 at my school, so parents are very understanding of cost of supplies.  They also appreciate that the t-shirt cost included.  This is also easier for me because I only have to collect money once.

Theresa Velazquez
    Spanish Teacher
    Theater Director and Speech Team Coach
    Duchesne High School
    St. Charles, MO

• 20.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-14-2017 11:51
    Something which my Thespian officers came up with-every four to six weeks, we present Dramathon with WIP (Works in Progress). And evening event for which as many of Theatre students who want to raise money for various activities, such as fees to attend festivals (Local, State, ITF)new technical equipment, ticket prices to attend a professional show; you get the idea. Each hour a class presents what they are working on, such as mimes to music, improvisations, our touring children’s theatre, original scenes, tech kids share something which they designed or built, upcoming festival. It is somewhat of a Show and Share Evening.
    We ask for $5.00 per hour donation; the important aspect is that the Thespian secretary and treasurer work the box office and keep records about to whom the audience member would like to credit the $ donation. Each month the Theatre student gets a statement as to how much is in his/her account. Then when an event comes up, I pay for students’ attendance. The student’s account method is really an internal working document.
    There is also a method for a student who has healthy accounts to transfer some funds to anyone who is in need. Also the Thespian Parent Booster (TPB) covers and often matches any money raised.
    There are several benefits for the Dramathon: a student can donate whatever he/she can and attend as an audience member to watch several hours of Dramathon, with the donated money to go into his account. Another is that any student who wishes to do “extra credit” attends as many hours as he/she wishes and fills out Assessment Sheets. Also the Festival students get to do their festival scenes several times for feedback; they seem to work more productively if they have a Dramathon public performance. The parents of the students who may not be in a Main Stage play get to see their kids perform periodically. Plus they do get points for initiated Thespians and Thespian Apprentices.
    No real work on my part except to unlock the Theater, supply some performance chairs, and turn on the lights.
    The dates of these events are scheduled around school events and published for each parent as part of the course requirements.
    If you have questions about the above, let me know.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 21.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 10:39
    Personally, I think it comes down to equity.  If you charge a fee you are limiting access immediately.  To many students, especially in difficult financial situations, having to discuss that situation with an adult in order to get access to something they want to do is prohibitive.  Many just avoid the situation so they don't have to be embarrassed.  

We have local schools/theatres in our area that do this, but we as a school decided that we need to be completely self-sufficient and we don't believe in pay-to-play.  Our ticket sales pay for everything, and if we don't have enough we have to downgrade the show.  The only item our students pay for is the T-Shirt ($15), but the t-shirt is optional and only comes after casting.  Only about half of our students can even afford that.

Keenan Shionalyn
    Math Instructor/Drama Advisor
    Kingston WA

• 22.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 10:49
    After reading all of your comments, I have come to the conclusion that I think you are all wonderful directors! It sounds like each director is doing what he or she believes is right for his or her particular group of students. I think that each program and each school has its own unique set of circumstances and that you should decide what to do based on your particular circumstances. I have chosen to go with a (recommended but not required) fee because I don't have a self-sustaining program or parent booster and am not allowed to keep my ticket sales. Other schools have other means of keeping their programs funded, or have students that can't afford a fee. You will make the right decision, and whatever you decide, you can always change your mind after a year or so if it doesn't work. :-)

Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 23.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-13-2017 17:29
    Thank you everybody for your input. I think I am going to go with just a $15 fee. I won't turn anyone away if they can't afford it. They will be asked to supply part of their costume. We are doing Emma! A pop musical. So they are in school uniforms mostly. I will use the $15 to buy the girls matching skirts and the boys matching ties. Then I will ask them to supply their own shoes socks pants shirts Etc. I will definitely stress that they can purchase most of these things at Walmart or Goodwill. Thanks again for the great responses.

Trinna Pye

Port St. Lucie FL

• 24.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-14-2017 10:44
    At the North Carolina urban school where I have taught for 18 years, I would not be allowed to charge a fee, even if I wanted to.  But I never charged a fee in schools where I could have.  I was one of those kids who couldn't have been in the band if I hadn't played a school-owned instrument, and I would be a very different person if I hadn't had that experience to learn the importance of individual and collaborative effort in achieving an artistic goal.  

I make a lot of our costumes, sometimes with help from students and occasionally a parent.  I also buy clothes at Goodwill and alter them to fit various time periods.  I've accumulated a large stock of shoes, particularly male dress shoes in sizes up to 15--all purchased from Goodwill.

Having a stock of costumes to pull from requires room for storage.  I think that is definitely worth fighting for from an equity standpoint.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 25.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-14-2017 12:02
    We charge a $30 production fee to help cover some of the costuming/set costs. We also have an opportunity for students experiencing financial difficulty to get assistance with the fee through a scholarship from our theatre boosters.Often parents will pay their fee and an additional as well.

Linda Gallant
    Theatre Teacher
    Lanexa VA

• 26.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-15-2017 13:30
    Yeah. I get wanting to under-right the cost of production but I am not on-board at all with charging a costume fee or any other pay-to-play situation.

Instead, I ask parents who can afford it to be a patron and gratefully accept and acknowledge their donation. This helps to keep our ticket prices low and gives more access to all students.

I firmly believe that charging a fee like this turns under-privileged kids away at the door. Of course, waiving the fee for them is an option but even then I would wonder how many kids don't even ask because they don't want to have the conversation with me or with their parents about it.

I have spoken with some of my students about this particular issue and they agree with me: a lot of kids would not even think about getting involved once they knew there was a costume or other fee involved.

I do not envy directors who work in districts with an actual pay-to-play system for extra-curricular activities. I cannot imagine how hard it would be to get a good crew if I needed to charge them $300-$400 for the privilege.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 27.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-16-2017 07:52
    I don't charge any mandatory fees for productions.  I have an order form for each show where students can buy a show shirt (not mandatory), a makeup kit ($20 and mandatory for actors who don't have one, lose theirs, or have used theirs up), and access to our cast party after strike ($7.50--we have a great local pizza place that loves our schools).

I collect the money a few weeks into the production.  I always tell people if money is an issue to see me and we'll work something out.  Mostly this means I'll cover their costs with our theatre funds.

I save the charging of money for our conferences.  State runs about $175 for the weekend and ITF around $900.  Of course, I earmark $1 of each paid ticket and the sales of our wooden roses to our conference fund, and we have an upcoming improv nights benefit to help fund for ITF.  At this point, students attending State will only pay $90-$100.  And we have about $300 per person raised for ITF it we take about 10 students.

We have a really strong speech team, and that does cost several hundred dollars (and that's after some really strong fundraising).  As I am trying to build the stature of our Thespian program, charging much would turn people away, let alone those who might be too proud to come ask for help in paying.  

So we rely on our box office and concession sales, along with our patron program.  This year patrons brought in about $3000.  Of that, 25% went to our conference fund, with the remaining 75% going to the general theatre fund.  

Like others, we repurpose everything!  This year and last (my first two years at this school), I have had to make some decent investments in things like storage containers, tools, and the like.  I'm hoping by next year things will be a bit quieter on the capital investment front, and I can build up my funds a little bit more.

Great conversation!  I love hearing everyone's stories!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 28.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-16-2017 15:46
    When my wife Marti and I were still teaching, we each had great success with an "Adopt a Costume" program.  Parents and patrons could "adopt" a costume for the show for the cost of a head to toe costume rental.  We listed (alphabetically) the supporters on a dedicated page in the program.  We found that the parents and patrons were more likely to make donations when they knew  their money was going to something tangible, like a costume.  We  had local businesses, PTAs from the sub-district elementary schools, and office support staff chipping in to adopt costumes.
          I usually used the "Adopt a Costume" program for the Fall or Winter production (whichever was costume heavy), and then did a "Friends of Theatre" program for the musical.  Our district wouldn't allow us to sell ads in the program, but it was ok to list people who donated money at different levels.   Donors were listed according to levels of donations (Angels, Patrons, Directors, Designers, etc).  We ended up needing 2-3 pages in the program to list all the people who wanted to donate to the "Friends" program.  We then listed exactly where the donations were spent to show transparency.  We listed where donations for the last several shows were spent, to show even more transparency.
          If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Bob Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MORobertRobertRobert

• 29.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-19-2017 03:29

What Mark said, and for all of the reasons he said it.

Participation fees would seem to present yet another barrier for the kids who may need theatre the most, and even if they can apply for a waiver/scholarship/whatever you want to call it and actually do, I'd worry that it would--not necessarily intentionally--create a sense of inequality among the group based on their ability to pay. The kids in the lower tier, I fear, contend with that fairly regularly already, and I would hope theatre could be a place where they don't have to worry about that.

I'd try to avail yourself of some of the other options that have been suggested on this thread.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 30.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-17-2017 06:31
    If, when I was a student in public school, involved with plays and the theater department, and I was informed I would have to pay $30 to be involved.  I would never have participated in any plays or have been involved in any productions.    Have been making my livelihood in the Entertainment world since the 1970's.   Have received notes from theater teachers in the last few years that saw me perform when they where children, telling me, seeing me perform is the reason they went into to theater.    Yes a $30 fee to participate  in a Public School theater production when I was a young student would have stopped all that.

[Stanley Allan] [Sherman] [Custom theater mask making, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops]
    [Mask Maker, Commedia dell'Arte expert, Teacher, Mime, Movement, Actor, Director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.]
    [Mask Arts Company www.maskart.com]
    [New York] [NY][stanley@maskarts.com[212-255-2882][il-dottore@commediau.com][New York][NY][Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) ]

• 31.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-18-2017 08:33
    Hi!

I don't charge a participation/costume fee. 

I do, however, ask all students to participate in fundraising with the goal of reaching a certain amount per student to cover their costume and competition costs, as well as a portion of the playbill production cost (they like nice looking programs and that costs more money).  This number varies by performance...I crunch the numbers and give the details to the parents at a parent meeting so I can explain the breakdown.  I provide the students with the playbill advertisement fundraiser, as well as two or three other options (Applebee's flapjack fundraiser, dining to donate, bagging at Shoprite, Smens/Smencils sales, etc). I try to vary the fundraising opportunities so we can incorporate the high school and local community so the burden doesn't fall only on their parents/family members. 

Most of the time, everyone participates and brings in something.  Something is better than nothing.  Generally speaking, those who raise more cover those who raise less.

I should also explain that I have a relatively small theater (holds 376) and only three performances to cover our costs.  Our ticket sales barely cover royalties, set supplies, prop supplies, and the lighting rental...and yes, we recycle as much as we can in terms of set and props.  

Hope this helps,
    Kasi

KasiAnn Sweeney
    Teacher
    Colts Neck NJ

• 32.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-18-2017 13:40
    We have never charged kids any fees for shows. We plan our budget, look at other funding sources, and always cover all student costs. I teach in a very low income community, so most  festival trips, hotels, entry fees, costumes, are paid from our ASB account,. But I always use "other peoples money" where I can, such as Dept, or CTE money, Perkins Grants. costumes are on us....I liken it to textbooks!

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 33.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-18-2017 09:25
    I think this is a budgeting question.

If you need additional revenue for costumes, you have two options
    1. Lower spending in other areas
    2. Find additional funding sources
    It sounds like you have chosen the second option. I think that would be true for most theatre programs. Costs keep rising each year with inflation, and you have to keep your eye on your revenue. There are lots of ways to raise funding for a program.
    1. Ask your school or district administrators
    2. Apply for grants
    3. Raise ticket prices
    4. Fundraise
    5. Or charge a participation fee.
    There are probably other ways, but I think most funding will fall under one of the above five categories. I don't think this is a right or wrong question, however, it probably is a political question for you, your school, your community, and possibly your state. It is clear that people feel strongly about participation fees. Our school doesn't charge the students anything to be in a show, but there are a lot of pay to play programs in my city.

Basically, I think you need to start with a really solid budget. Figure out how much money you will need to fund your show, or your season of shows. And then figure out a play to fund that need based on the objectives of your students, program, school, and community.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 34.  RE: Participation/Costume Fee?

Posted 12-19-2017 08:17
    Good Morning All,

We charge a participation fee for our 2 musicals. The fee covers the students first 5 tickets, a show t-shirt, 3 tech week dinners, their closing night cast party, and costume rentals/accessories. We also ask for parent volunteers to help at the dinners, backstage during tech week and performances, plus helping with costumes (ie. ironing, stitching, construction, etc.). To my knowledge, parents have be supportive of the one time fee that is all inclusive and paid upfront. They appreciate the private ticketing event where the company selects their seats before the ticket booth opens. We have also heard that the parents appreciate that dinner is provided during tech week (we eat at 4:15) , especially for those students that are involved in other activities and arriving closer to call time at 5:30.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA