Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-15-2018 16:50

We are looking for new cyc lights.  Anyone got something to brag about and recommend?   Let me know.

Thanks, and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 2.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-16-2018 10:17
    ​I just bought LED strip lights. They are pretty awesome - change color at the flip of a switch, can be daisy chain connected so you don't use as many circuits, produce less heat. Downside is that the cheaper ones like I got cannot be dimmed.

------------------------------
    Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 3.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-16-2018 14:18
    ETC Source Four LED luminaries have different lens tubes to be ellipsoidal, freshnel, or cyc lights.  I don't have direct experience with them, but it would be the direction I would lean for this flexibility.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 4.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-17-2018 06:31
    It all comes down to budget and performance:

ETC has a Cyc adapter for their LED fixture, it is a very good unit but is at the upper end of the price scale.

Altman has the Spectra Cyc it is ...can be more cost effective

Blizzard Lighting has the Cyc Out, I prefer this over the others for brightness

Please keep in mind you are looking at a 10 to 15 year investment in these fixtures and will need to replace them in the future, compared to a quartz cyc fixture, please let your facility know that a replacement budget should be set with a minimum of what you pay now for replacement, as these units do not typically get cheaper but get replaced by equal or greater cost fixtures, just like computers

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-17-2018 12:42
    Something else to consider. 

I've had a couple of distributor reps come in to look at my facility, and I've been told that we will have to upgrade to an Element light board, from our ETC Express 24/48, when we add LED cyc lights. 

I LOVE the Express in our Arts Theatre, and I don't find the Element we have in our Auditorium to be nearly as user friendly for students just learning about lights.

So I'm in a quandary and still investigating types of cyc lights.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-17-2018 14:27
    Hi,

We have been very pleased with our Spectra Cyc 200's (RGBA). As Jerry said, you will need to plan on replacement at some point and likely, they will be no less expensive. You may also be looking at slight infrastructure upgrades to accommodate a an additional data run.

One recommendation I would make is to contact your lighting supplier (assuming you have one) and ask them to bring several varieties from their rental/demo stock so you can do a side by side comparison. We did this and chose the Altman fixtures over six others. With so many choices, this method made us feel more confident in our choice.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 7.  RE: LED Cyc Lights

Posted 05-17-2018 14:32
    Sorry for the double post.

Hi,

We have been very pleased with our Spectra Cyc 200's (RGBA). As Jerry said, you will need to plan on replacement at some point and likely, they will be no less expensive. You may also be looking at slight infrastructure upgrades to accommodate a an additional data run.

One recommendation I would make is to contact your lighting supplier (assuming you have one) and ask them to bring several varieties from their rental/demo stock so you can do a side by side comparison. We did this and chose the Altman fixtures over six others. With so many choices, this method made us feel more confident in our choice.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN