Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Disney Trip

Posted 09-22-2017 08:45
    This year the Fine Arts department at my school started talking about planning a trip to Disney for the next school year. None of us have ever been on a trip like this with a school group and, after reading in several places that planning it ourselves would be less expensive than going through an agency, we'd like to try this.

So, my question is...has anyone here done this before? What did you do? Any tips will be incredibly helpful. 

THANK YOU!

------------------------------
    Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: Disney Trip

Posted 09-24-2017 15:14
    Yes, I would recommend a Disney trip with your group! Along with the Choir department, we take a big trip every other year. We do not use a travel company for a Disney trip. Really, I promise, it is not difficult to plan and you save your students money!

We always do a workshop with Disney or sing in Disney Springs when we go. This is our educational tie-in. The workshops can be acing, singing or musical theatre. We like the musical one this very best! The kids love performing too!  When you do the workshop or sing at Disney Springs, you can purchase cheaper group rate tickets. We also purchase dining cards per day to cover their meals. 

Other than the parks, we book our own hotel, charter bus company and we hire additional security for the hotel. You can apply for tax-exempt status in Florida and that saves even more money!  

We take the kids because so many of ours would never get to have the experience! We go from 7am to 11pm so the kids are exhausted but it is still worth it!  

If you want more info, please feel free to email me  at laura.roller@sullivank12.net

Laura Roller
    Theatre teacher
    Kingsport, Tennessee

• 3.  RE: Disney Trip

Posted 09-25-2017 07:50
    Just work with the Disney YES program directors and they will walk you through it. I do want to give you the heads up, though. Last year my group was a test group for a couple of programs and I planned a small trip last minute-- in two weeks to be exact.  They got us a good deal for a hotel on Disney property, but I DO NOT recommend staying onsite in their economy hotels. They are small and all of the doors open outside. I had a group of freshman girls put on the other side of the building and it made me a nervous wreck.  Ask about getting a deal with one of the Disney Springs hotels which are a lot nicer and all inside.

Christa Whittaker
    theatre director
    Ft. Walton Beach High School
    Ft Walton Beach FL