Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Contemporary Radio Plays or Scenes

Posted 09-13-2021 12:13
    Hi everyone! 

My small intro class this year is particularly interested in radio/voice theater. I have a few old mysteries I have used in the past (Rattle Rattle, Night Owl Radio Mystery Theater, Bryce Beattie plays) but I am looking for newer voices and in particular women and BiPOC playwrights. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any length would be helpful (full scripts, one acts, scenes etc) 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Ellie McIvor-Baker
    Theater Teacher and Director

• 2.  RE: Contemporary Radio Plays or Scenes

Posted 09-14-2021 08:18
    Hi!  I did radio plays with my students for years where I would break them into small groups and they would voice cast and foley for themselves.  I'd set up a mini-stage in the classroom and they'd perform for each other.  I encouraged the kids to listen to the original broadcast (usually through youtube, archive.net, and relicradio.com) and then to use materials in the space to create the sound effects.  I found scripts at simplyscripts.com.  There's also a really cute little video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHn5rTf97Ic) that shows behind the scenes of creating the foley.  Good luck!

Kacy Bishop
    Director of Dramatic Arts
    North Paulding High School

• 3.  RE: Contemporary Radio Plays or Scenes

Posted 09-14-2021 09:13
    Hi!

I'm having this same problem right now. I wanted a good way to introduce new plays to our school//community. My playwright friend who writes radio plays introduced me to a website for scripts of living authors. It's called New Play Exchange. You do have to pay a yearly fee, but it's only $10. This might be a good resource for you!

Good luck,

P.Cook

Penny Cook
    Theatre Teacher
    Corinth High School
    MS

• 4.  RE: Contemporary Radio Plays or Scenes

Posted 09-14-2021 15:57
    Last year, I produced a radio play over Zoom and it was a great way for students to delve into the art form.  We produced "Alien Invasion", based on the War of the Worlds radio broadcast, written by Ryan Neely.  It was really funny and gave the students a little taste of the genre.  It is a musical as well.  You can find it on Pioneer Drama.  They also have other scripts there as well.  Good luck with finding material!

Marilyn Strange
    Teacher
    Newbury Park High School

• 5.  RE: Contemporary Radio Plays or Scenes

Posted 09-15-2021 10:46
    Hi! I've performed both War of the Worlds: The Panic Broadcast and Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play both titles by Joe Landry. My students had a blast creating all the various character voices. We performed these shows for an audience as part of our fall season but they would work well for classroom use too. I found both titles on Playscripts, they have several radio plays worth checking out.
    Good luck!

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School