Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for Centurion/Roman Soldier Costumes

Posted 09-25-2018 16:22
      |   view attached
    Our school is about to put on a production of Ben Hur (a parody written by Patrick Barlow), and I was curious if any of you had tips on the best place to get some of these costumes. We need a number of centurion/roman soldier costumes, as well as togas, classic Hebrew attire, etc. 

Any advice, guidance, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Fyi, I have uploaded our costume design powerpoint.

------------------------------
    Matthew Eledge
    Omaha NE

Attachment(s)

pptx
    Costume and Set Design.pptx   25.09 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Looking for Centurion/Roman Soldier Costumes

Posted 09-26-2018 10:11
    I would suggest first contacting any big churches or groups that do live nativity shows or passion plays.  Other than that you can get some large amounts of cheap fabrics for the togas as such by repurposing sheets and curtains (I typically go to Goodwill or a store like that) you still build it the same way just not by using a bolt of fabric.  I used to teach at Cape Central High School in Cape Girardeau, MO and we did The Hobbit and the dwarf tunics are similar.  You could try to contact their teacher to rent/borrow.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 3.  RE: Looking for Centurion/Roman Soldier Costumes

Posted 09-26-2018 12:10
    Hi there. Depending on when your school's production is, there may rock-bottom sales on costumes after Halloween. If there's a "pop-up" Halloween costume shop, you may want to look there. On November 1, I've seen costumes as low as 80% off.

Evan Plummer
    Miami FL