Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-05-2019 08:39

Hey guys!

Our Spring Musical this year is R and H's Cinderella. When we did this show in the early 2000's, the magic of the Broadway reboot had not hit audiences yet. There wasn't so much pressure to wow audiences with the costumes.  But this time around I'm feeling the pressure to put some wow factor costumes on stage. But, my strongest seamstress parents have graduated, and our budget is tight this year. So, if anyone has some tricks to share on inexpensive and easy to build Cinderella costume magic, I'm all  ears!!!

Thanks

Cherie Ducote Firmin
    Mandeville High School Talented Theatre I/III Teacher
    MHS Drama Club Sponsor
    La. State Thespian Board Member/STO Adviser

Incoming La.  Thespian Co-Chapter Director

St. Tammany Parish Public School System

www.stpsb.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

#WeWillSTPPS

STPPS adhere to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

STPPS adheres to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 2.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-06-2019 06:32

Hi,

We did the R&H Cinderella (Enchanted Edition) last year and I made the decision to base the "transformation" dress on the dress that the Cinderella repurposes to go to the ball (her mother's dress that she finds in the trunk).  The script calls for Cinderella to come out in the dress she's fixed up....the steps ruin it by ripping things off of it....and then Cinderella is supposed to take that dress OFF and get back into her rags (the transformation version) ON STAGE<g class="gr_ gr_729 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" id="729" data-gr-id="729">....</g>OR run off stage after she puts her rags back on and <g class="gr_ gr_909 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="909" data-gr-id="909">have</g> the fastest quick change EVER to get int the transformation version of her rags costume.

It worked out really well how we did it.  The step-mother ripped off the overskirt.  Each step-sister ripped off a sleeve.  That left Cinderella in the bodice of the ruined dress with the "underskirt" and panniers.  This is what the ball gown was hidden in.  The shoulders of the bodice on the ruined had velcro on them and down each side seam. So, when Cinderella spun around as the Fairy Godmother worked her magic, the actress crossed her arms in front of her <g class="gr_ gr_1951 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="1951" data-gr-id="1951">then</g> when her back was to the audience, she pulled the front of the bodice down.  It was attached to the UNDER side of the skirt of the magic ballgown, so as she spun and the magic ballgown skirt unfolded, the old bodice disappeared under the magic dress.  We bought 2 of the final ballgown dress.  One to make into the transformation dress and the second one the actress changed into during intermission so we could add more crinoline under the skirt to make <g class="gr_ gr_3974 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="3974" data-gr-id="3974">if</g> fuller (and so old bodice hiding under the skirt wasn't accidentally seen as she twirled and waltzed).

The mice and cat came out to comfort Cinderella during the little reprise and tried to help "fix it" before they ran off stage to go to mother's tree. FG gave Cindy the shoes and a shoulder "shrug" that came out in the carriage.  The shoulder shrug was because the bare shoulder in the ball scene didn't look quite right with all of the other costumes, so we added a shoulder shrug to the act 2 version of the ball gown.

This is the video I showed my seamstress to help her out.  She didn't like the front release, so devised the rip away shoulders and sides.  Personally, I thought the video made it look pretty easy to do the way it shows....but I'm not a sewer....so, what do I know!  In any case, it ended up great and got "Oh! Wow!" every night.

How to make a transforming Cinderella dress - easy! (Prototype)

Can't believe I never got a video of our dress!  But I do have a few pictures.
    IMG_3807.jpg

Google Docs remove preview
    IMG_3807.jpg
    View this on Google Docs >

IMG_3660.jpg

Google Docs remove preview
    IMG_3660.jpg
    View this on Google Docs >

------------------------------
    Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 3.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-06-2019 06:52
    Oh! and regarding budget!  This is one of the things we "splurged" on.  The Cindy's act 2 ball gown was an inexpensive Quinceañera from Amazon.  Searching for that type of dress got me way more options of the style I was looking for.  I want to say it was just around $100...so $200 total since we bought two of them.  We had a blue "80's" style prom dress in costume storage that we turned into Cinderella's mother's dress that she "finds" and was used as the transformation dress.  The one Cindy pulls from the trunk along with some spare fabric was another, very similar blue dress....just used as s prop for that scene...never actually worn.

The other "splurge" we did was the carriage. Per someone else's post on this discussion board, found a youth canopy bed that <g class="gr_ gr_2088 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="2088" data-gr-id="2088">look</g> like a pumpkin.  Fancied it up with twinkling LED lights and some orange tulle....put it on a wagon/platform for the "horses" to pull. It worked out perfectly and looked great dead center stage at the end of act 1 with the lights faded as it sat there twinkling with the FG standing next to it and the curtains closing.   We then raffled the bed off at intermission of the last show (not necessary to be present to win).  Charged $5 per ticket...so, basically covered the cost of the things used to create the carriage plus a little extra.  So, a little fundraiser there.

Another thing we did was sell "hugs & kisses" during intermission.  These are little packets of  4 Hershey's kisses that people can buy, put a little note on and send back to the cast & crew.  A parent also had a great idea to sell little key chain trinkets that were based on the theme of the show.  We found very inexpensive bulk charms for a pumpkin carriage, a "glass" slipper (clear plastic, of course), a crown, a magic wand. I think there were a cat and mouse charms, too.

The parent was a bit crafty and had jewelry stuff, so she'd "make" the key chains to order (the cast & crew ATE them up...she let them buy ahead of time).  $5 got you a key chain with 1 charm...if you wanted more charms, it was $1 per additional charm.  I think she also did necklaces on an inexpensive cord.  But pretty sure you can find keychains with all of those types of charms on them on Amazon in bulk for cheap and wouldn't have to do the "to order" thing.  We spent around $300 for those supplies BUT then made $300 when all said and done...so, covered the cost of the supplies and then pretty much what we spent on Cinderella's ballgown and transformation dress.

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 4.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-06-2019 09:19
    When is your show? We rent out our transformation dresses that we made!

Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN

• 5.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-08-2019 08:37
    Thank you! Our show is in early April, but we are looking to build our own:)

[Cherie Ducote Firmin
    MHS Drama Club Sponsor
    985.626.5225]

• 6.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-06-2019 16:07
    Hi Cherie,

We performed R&H’s Cinderella last Spring, and it was fabulous- and beautiful.

I am very particular about costuming, and we used softer spring colors for ensemble in the image scene, with the stepmother and step sisters in bolds- Gold, orange and teal. Boys wore shirts with collars removed and khaki, black, navy and olive pants. We did the same for the ball, ensemble in pink and purple ballgowns, with Cinderella in a blue ballgown we rented locally for under $50, Stepmother in black and pink, and Stepsisters in deep mustard velvet and olive shantung. We were lucky to find black tail coats for all the boys, and I made them ascots out of a material from Walmart for under $8.00

We borrowed our costumes from a few local companies that loan/rent for a very small fee. We bought a wedding dress from Goodwill that we tea-stained for Cinderella’s “Mother’s ballgown” and put a velcro strip in the back for the quick-change on stage being the carriage. She wore the blue ballgown underneath and we tucked gloved under the bench of the carriage. Our footman changed her, and had her crown, so she twirled in her rags, circle the carriage, and viola! Beautiful Cinderella!!

Best of luck with our production!

Jennifer Stover
    Director, Souhegan HS Drama

• 7.  RE: Cinderella Costumes

Posted 02-08-2019 08:36
    Thanks Jennifer. Great advice!

[Cherie Ducote Firmin
    MHS Drama Club Sponsor