Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  YouTube streaming questions

Posted 05-21-2020 12:23
    Hi everyone! I have so enjoyed reading about and watching your streaming productions. We will be streaming our filmed production of The Old Man and The Old Moon on May 29 and 30th. 

Questions:
    1. Do you prefer streaming on YouTube or another platform?
    2. Have you used the live chat feature or comments? 
    3. Has anyone had success with any type of talkback or q&a with the audience?
    4. Have you done multiple performance viewing times? If so, have you set up separate links? (We have the rights for two performances or in our case online viewings). 

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT

• 2.  RE: YouTube streaming questions

Posted 05-21-2020 18:27
    UPDATE: I just found out we will be streaming on a specific platform set up by Broadway Licensing (thanks guys)! I would still love to glean streaming advice from those of you who have walked through it! Thanks.

Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT

• 3.  RE: YouTube streaming questions

Posted 05-22-2020 01:52
    I have no advice, but I know many of my students are looking for plays to watch, so if you can share the link I'll pass it on to some Thespians in Oregon :-)

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: YouTube streaming questions

Posted 05-23-2020 10:33
    1.  So far I have only streamed on YouTube Live and I like that it automatically records and posts my streams after.

2.  I would disable the live chat feature and comments.  You really want your audience to focus on the performance.  I have found that when the chat is enabled, certain people start to focus more on posting and engaging with the chat than watching.  Having the chat enabled is like saying it is ok for the audience to talk and text during a live theatrical performance.

3.  Talkbacks work best when you set up your video conferencing to only allow chat enabled Q&A.  Zoom has this setup when delivering a webinar, where the attendees can not share video or microphone but can post questions to a Q&A section (you would set up yourself and cast members as presenters).  If you allow everyone in the room to have enabled video and microphones, it creates confusion as well as creates more data on the talkback which can lead to video and audio lag.  I would set up a separate link from the stream to join the talkback.  

4.  I have done multiple performance viewing times and separate links were set up.  

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Much love and light.

Scott F. Cooney
    "Lover of Life"
    NJ State Thespian State Board
    CTE Acting/Theatre Instructor
    BCIT Medford Academy of Performing Arts
    Medford, NJ

• 5.  RE: YouTube streaming questions

Posted 07-06-2020 12:05

@Christina Vincent

Christina,

I would love to see your steamed show & hear about what you think worked & didn't.

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ
    StadtFamily@Juno.com
    Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 6.  RE: YouTube streaming questions

Posted 07-06-2020 14:05
    Maria, I just emailed you! Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks for asking.

Christina Vincent
    Director of Theatre
    The Woodhall School
    Bethlehem, CT