Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Samuel French

Posted 04-19-2018 17:26
    Has anyone had issues getting their deposit/rental fees back when a show has been canceled? We had to cancel our spring musical and even though we never opened the box or rented anything, they are still keeping over 400$ rental fee. I find it a bit excessive, especially when my overall budget is about 200$ and the rest comes out of my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 04-19-2018 18:14
    I'm so sorry you weren't able to proceed with the show as planned! My colleague Sarah and I work just with schools and youth organizations here at Samuel French, and we know how important budgeting and fundraising are to building your program. 

As our materials are printed on demand just for you and your school, we are unable to refund shipping and most of your rental fees after they have been sent to you. Once all materials are returned, we refund your musical materials deposit and as much of your rental fee as possible. 

Below are some resources to answer some questions about music materials, refunds, and more. Please feel free to email us at K12@samuelfrench.com with any questions!

------------------------------
    Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 04-20-2018 06:38
    I will need to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 4.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 04-20-2018 09:36
    Yep, I had to cancel a show with MTI because I didn’t have enough kids audition, and they kept over $800!!! It was devastating. You don’t return scripts for MTI Jr. shows, so the unopened box of scripts sits in my office...judging me.

• 5.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 04-25-2018 18:47
    ​Very unfortunate. I understand supply and demand but I have never run into and issue of not having the supply. There are many other companies out their to get your royalties' and supplies. As far as MTI, that's ridiculous.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 04-26-2018 08:18
    I have never had a problem with any  of the companies mentioned. We canceled Rocky Horror Show and got all of our money back except shipping and perusal charge. Samuel French custom prints your copies and they can't be used by another school. A MTI Jr edition can be used later, can't it?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Samuel French

Posted 05-04-2018 10:38
    As a general rule, performance materials can be used only for the specific production for which they are licensed. Notice I said 'production' - they can certainly be used for personal needs after-the-fact. 

Here's the clause from the boilerplate language of a TRW Agreement (emphasis added):
    The performance materials are the ONLY acting edition authorized by the Author(s) and must be licensed from us as a condition of this License Agreement...The Performance Materials can ONLY be used for the performance of the Play on the dates specified in the Production Terms Rider and cannot be used for any subsequent production, presentation or performance. 
    We also print-on-demand, the difference is that everything is yours to keep. (orchestrations included)

If you should decide to revive the same show in the future, a brand new set of materials would be req'd.  

This applies to our Young@Part titles, too (that's how we brand our 'junior' shows). 

As I recall from my days at MTI (many years ago, so grain of salt!), the elem/middle school all-inclusive rate for Bway Junior/Kids includes the right to perform the show within 1 school year as many times as you like. That's a part of our Y@P terms, too (for elem/middle school's only - and if certain prerequisites are met). Check with MTI to make certain that's still their SOP. After that school year/license term is completed: you'd need to purchase a new set of materials. These are not 'textbooks' that can be passed from one school to another. That would be a violation of the license: TRW's and MTI's (including our Hal Leonard suppliers)! The materials are created so that students may keep them - they serve no purpose being shelved, although I suppose you could use them for scene study. 

Perhaps we are making them too well and they need to fall apart by the end of a rehearsal period?  ;)

(On the subject of refunds: at TRW we no longer have deposits and therefore there's nothing to refund...since you keep all of the materials (preferably each member of the cast/pit/crew keeps their own book as a memento). Applies to ALL of our shows, not just the Y@P shows. No more missing materials fees, deadlines for return, erasing, finding a box, shipping them back to us, etc.)

Commenting on the specifics above re: $800 for a cancelled production, I would make certain my rep was aware of the situation. I'd try to get something in writing (email) with a promise to waive the materials fee in light of the cancelled show if you are able to produce it within the next school year (or other deadline-type date). A short note on school letterhead - perhaps co-signed by principal/headmaster can sometimes have positive results. Case-by-case.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York