Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Honors

Posted 01-30-2020 15:57

Hello Everyone

I finally got my admin to agree to offer a theatre honors program for my students at graduation. At this time our school only offers three drama classes and one theatre tech class. What types of criterion do you have in place for students to work toward in order to get a theatre honors?

Thank you so much,

Kelly Lovall
    PAHS Drama Teacher/Thespian Director

• 2.  RE: Theatre Honors

Posted 01-30-2020 16:45
    All of our graduation honors go through our ITS troupe. They earn points as they work, perform and see shows and those points determine the honors they walk with at graduation. I can send you the specifics if you want

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Theatre Honors

Posted 01-30-2020 17:50

We pay for the "bling" for our students each year.  It can get pricey.  We provide honors based on GPA's (the guidelines are in the descriptions of the items) and we also acknowledge honors based on hours.  So our Seniors who started in 7th grade and participated in every show would have the higher honors.  

There are many different items to buy and award and it's easy to get carried away.  I would look at the "store" under High School Honors to see what's available.  

Chuck Yarmey
    Advisor/Technical Director
    Wyoming Area Drama Club
    Thespian Troupe 4795
    Exeter PA

• 4.  RE: Theatre Honors

Posted 02-02-2020 01:22
    In order to wear an honor cord at graduation (we use the yellow & blue twisted honor cords from ITS), students must have earned at least 60 points, be an inducted Thespian, have a gpa of 2.5 or higher, and be an active Thespian as of May 23rd-ish of their Senior year.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: Theatre Honors

Posted 02-03-2020 09:11
    When I was in High School it came as a shock to me that there were no honors or awards for the theater or the arts as there were for sports. It seems like honors and awards are essential for two reasons. 1. Because it is something very special for the student. Something they will remember for a lifetime and can have long lasting postive effects.  2. When applying to colleges and universities, student involvement, honors, and awards can be an important piece of information when assessing the student for acceptance into an Institute of higher education, whether they go into theater or science, etc.

[Stanley Allan] [Sherman] [Custom theater mask making, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops. NYC winter holiday workshops and summer workshops]
    [Mask Maker, Commedia dell'Arte expert, Teacher, Mime, Movement, Actor, Director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.]
    [Mask Arts Company www.maskart.com]
    [New York] [NY][stanley@maskarts.com[212-255-2882][il-dottore@commediau.com][New York][NY][Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) ]

• 6.  RE: Theatre Honors

Posted 02-04-2020 00:52
    At the school from which I retired last June, all active ITS members get to wear the honor cords for graduation.  Our bylaws stipulate that students must participate in every show in some capacity and attend meetings regularly in order to remain on active status, so those students who earned enough points to be inducted then stopped participating never wore cords and were not labeled as ITS members in the graduation program.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC