Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-16-2017 11:15

We've recently started rehearsals for Urinetown and the further we go the more I think I want to change things for next year.

Instead of alternating blocking, music and choreography rehearsals in the beginning, what I would like to try (for next year) is having students off book – both lines and music - and most choreography done before starting blocking work. So the first month would be all music and choreography, then we would spend the rest of the time with blocking and putting everything together. Also, this would give my tech theater class time to work on the sets so they are mostly done when the staging begins.

Does anyone do things this way? If not, how do you schedule your rehearsals for musicals?

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-16-2017 11:34
    What you describe is how I have structured musical rehearsals since the beginning of time.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 3.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-16-2017 11:58
    We only do a musical every other spring, but we do it somewhat like you are considering. We cast it in December, but don't start formal rehearsals on stage until March. It is understood that in-between that time, the students are to memorize all of their lines/music, and make time to have appointments with the music director to go over their music. By the time we start rehearsals on stage, their music and lines are completely memorized. It makes everything run very smoothly.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-17-2017 11:20
    This year we started with music and choreography rehearsals first for Fiddler on the Roof.  Then I started the blocking rehearsals.  I had never done it this way before and was a bit nervous, but it was a natural progression for putting everything together.  It seemed that the students were able to drop script quicker and I believe the students were more confident with the music and choreography.

Lex Rhoadarmer
    Clearwater High School
    Clearwater KS

• 5.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-17-2017 07:44
    For the most part, I teach music first - especially if the arrangements have complex vocal harmonies. Once music is taught we move to choreography then we string together the scene work and characterization. Transitions are important as well - and with larger shows (Mary Poppins) we had a transition only rehearsal where we practiced what happened at the end of one scene into the next scene.
    That helped tremendously when we had our first tech rehearsal.

Hope Urinetown is a success! Break legs!

---------------------------------
    Anne Kessler

Berlin Borough Board of Education
    Mount Laurel NJ
    ---------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-17-2017 17:29
    Nowadays, we don't start blocking until all of our actors are off-book -- or at least close to it! (I do make an exception for lengthy monologues that are especially tricky to memorize.) It'll make a world of difference! Go for it, and best of luck with Urinetown!

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 7.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-18-2017 12:27
    I have @ 7 weeks to put a show together once rehearsals begin. We do a musical every fall.  If we tried it in the winter or spring, it would conflict with show choir season, and I'd lose my best singers, or it would run into our month long standardized and AP testing season.  My leads are mostly off book when we start.  I cast the show the previous spring, and spend the money for an extra month of rental for the show materials​ so they get their scripts in August.  
    Our music director and choreographer are both professionals from the local community, but don't work at the school.  I can usually get each of them 2 times a week, so learning all the songs and choreo up front before we start blocking just isn't practical.  I usually have the show blocked in the first two weeks.  We work numbers based on size.  The bigger ensemble numbers that tend to be dance heavy are scheduled first, and then the smaller numbers. To make choreo easier, the cast learns the songs first whenever possible.
    A typical week for Little Shop (our current show)  would be:
    Monday 2-4:30 - Acting rehearsal Act I scenes 3 & 4
    Tuesday 2-4:30 Music - Downtown, Don't Feed the Plants
    Wednesday 2-4:30 Music- Review Downtown &  Don't Feed the Plants,  Da Doo
    Thursday 2-4:30 Dance - Downtown
    Friday 2-4:30 Dance - Review Downtown, Don't Feed the Plants
    And, of course, while vocals and dance are going on, I'm back and forth between the rehearsals and overseeing the stage crew.
    As the schedule goes on, I work more acting time into the rotation.   I don't sleep a lot from September through Thanksgiving...

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 8.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-19-2017 16:02
    I've been doing musicals at my high school since 1993...every year. Usually 9-10 weeks
    We always start with vocals followed by choreography. I then finish up with acting, and some blocking, putting it all together. It works well for me.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 9.  RE: Structure of musical rehearsals

Posted 11-20-2017 10:49
    I have the kids learn the music first. It makes the staging and choreography significantly easier. I alternate the choreography and staging rehearsals but always try to have the choreography given before the staging begins. It's a little bit of a headache arranging everything so that can happen, and I go out of order of the show as little as possible (although it happens pretty often), to arrange this. It allows me to get to stumble thrus a lot faster. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ