Open Forum

View Only

news broadcast ideas

• 1.  news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-08-2020 09:56

Hello everyone!
    I am new here and excited to begin my journey at EdTA!

I have taught Drama, Musical Theater and Stagecraft for many years. This year, because of the restrictions due to the pandemic, I am interested in initiating a news/announcements broadcast. By any chance, do any of you already do this or have any resources you would recommend?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Marta Carvalho
    Theatre Director
    CAISL - Portugal

• 2.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-08-2020 11:48

I do not have any resources to offer, but I just wanted to offer a great big WELCOME to EdTA. There are many great people and resources here. Enjoy!

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 10:01
    Thank you, Dave! 
    Wishing you a great school year!
    Marta

Marta Carvalho
    Sintra

• 4.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 12:03
    Yes, Welcome to the EDTA.  I hope your time here is a good one.

Years ago, I taught Video Production and Radio Production.  We started with a simple announcement broadcast each day and then progressed to producing a half hour cable TV magazine type style current events show once a month.  The thing that caught me off guard then, in my youth, was the time spent editing and working in post on various segments.  It can become quite daunting.  So, I would advise you to keep it simple.  Develop a few features you want to pursue each week--- Today's News, Upcoming Events, Event Spotlight, Senior Spotlight, A Message from School Leadership, that sort of thing  This will allow you to build some requirements or procedures for each segment and perhaps get some of the footage from submissions already completed, so you simply have to cut it into your feed for the day.  I would also think, that a well organized Google Meet could be recorded and then that could serve as your footage for the day. Then, as you develop your team and your potential, focus on one "produced" segment each week and give you and your team plenty of time to work on each segment.

I would, however, start out pretty simply with a recorded Zoom meeting or Google Meet and then build from there.

There are a lot of pretty simple video editing programs out there with the Adobe suite being probably one of the best and a lot of others like Davinci, Movavi and Pinnacle Studios as simple beginning programs

Pixar has an entire series called Pixar in a Box if you want to explore some writing and creating ideas.

I hope that helps

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 06:25
    I am also considering helping my kids to create and share a weekly announcement/news broadcast. Wondering if screencastify would work... we have been Hybrid her in NJ since September 3rd with a good portion of students and teachers working from home. This is such a great community -- Welcome Marta and thanks in advance to all for any suggestions/advice!

Heather Damron

• 6.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 07:51
    Hello there, welcome!

I do video announcements for our HS also. It is a great way to keep my Theatre kids active. We go very simple.  we use XSPLIT/broadcasting (not very expensive), a green screen, and a web camera. then everything is edited in Moviemaker, upload to our video channel (youtube) and the teachers watch in the morning. the whole process takes about 40 minutes to record, edit, and upload. the Kids do it all, and I just supervise. below is a link to our Youtube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChyIWsuNRUrvQTEAHE2QzLg?view_as=subscriber

if the link does not work...search WCATNews on Youtube. 
    Hope this helps
    Damian

Damian Grzeskowiak
    Gorham NY

• 7.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 08:24
    How wonderful! I will show this to my students today in class -- great inspiration for my little class! Despite what you say, this looks like a lot of work to me though -- we are a tiny rural school with no budget for this and not a lot of time (everything is shortened due to the pandemic and we are just not able to work together more than about 2 hours a week total). Love to hear from anyone else who is doing this sort of thing too. 

Thanks again for sharing this amazing work!

Heather Damron
    English, Journalism, and Theatre Teacher
    South Hunterdon Regional High School
    301 Mount Airy- Harbourton Road
    Lambertville NJ 08530

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

• 8.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 10:12
    Thank you so much for sharing! This is great.
    I am thinking of also including current events- maybe even have the AP History students participate with stories.
    Thanks again.
    Marta

Marta Carvalho
    Sintra

• 9.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-09-2020 12:07
    WCAT News is great. Thanks for sharing,

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 10.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-20-2020 13:14
    Can you recommend any alternatives to XSPLIT? I found only this alternatives https://alternativemaster.com/alternatives-to-xsplit

Oliver Mails
    frankfurt

• 11.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-21-2020 07:18
    Would anyone with a mature broadcast journalism program or long-running daily announcement show be willing to connect your students with my students via Zoom/Google Meet so that my kids can get advice and suggestions as we brainstorm ways to start to put together a first-ever broadcast news show? 

Heather Damron
    Troupe 544
    Lambertville NJ

Heather Damron

• 12.  RE: news broadcast ideas

Posted 10-21-2020 07:29
    Hello there...

I have only used Xsplit...due to the ease of it...I know there is OBS (?)....but that seems a little complicated...

Damian

Damian Grzeskowiak
    Gorham NY