Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scripts for Visually Impaired Students

Posted 10-19-2017 13:33
    Had anyone had any experience with visually impaired students in their classes? I have a young lady in one of my theatre 1 classes that reads braille, has an electric reader, etc. We've been okay so far this year because I've been able to e-mail her all of our powerpoints and word documents and she's been able to use her reader for it. However, we're going to be doing some script work soon, and I was wondering what you guys recommend? When we read 'Oedipus Rex, I was able to find the same version online and had a braille book made for her. But the next unit involves newer scripts that I only have hard copies of. Do you know of  a program that will turn scanned documents into word documents? Or anything like that? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Scripts for Visually Impaired Students

Posted 10-20-2017 08:22
    If you are trying to build skills for her that she can use forever for memorization, I might try to circumvent the translation of the scripts to braille as the sole coping mechanism, which would costly to her personally as a working or amateur actress and might be a hurdle to her lifelong participation in theater. That said, I think they are easy workarounds which will be accessible to her and cheap. 
    Learn her lines through her ears---Scene Partner allows you to scan word documents and make it your own script.  She can learn her lines aurally.  

And for rehearsal, have her try the technique championed by Shakespeare & Co of "feeding in"  
    explained here in "Teaching Shakespeare to ELLs to Develop Fluency" by Mary Beth Pickett
    [Adapting the Feeding-In Techniques
    Feeding-In, a core technique used throughout the program, requires actors to be given
    their lines by a feeder who stands behind them with the text. It has many applications for other
    activities in the classroom, and it is particularly useful for ELLs because it allows practice of
    listening perception and speaking skills. It also gives them the opportunity to practice new
    vocabulary learned as they express with their body the meaning of words.
    While in the native English speaking class Feeding-In allows twice as many students to
    be involved in a scene (for each actor there is a feeder), this method can be adapted for ELLs by
    having native L1 English speakers (I enlisted volunteer students from other classes) to serve as
    feeders. ELLs also work with heavily cut (shortened) scripts.
    The feeders speak the line(s) of text clearly and without interpretive inflection to the
    ELLs who listened and then repeated the line(s) to the audience with their own interpretive
    inflections of meaning. The teacher reminds them that the exercise is not about "getting it right."
    The point of the activity is to "bring the words alive" (Shakespeare & Company, 2005). This
    allows them to speak lines in a way that does not become rote-like because they are acting out
    language with emotional responses that are encouraged to be spontaneous and "in the moment,"
    that is, authentic acts of communication. The ELLs find this especially attractive because they do
    not have to memorize their lines, and it allows them to use eye contact and full body movement
    without being encumbered by scripts.]

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Hope Love

• 3.  RE: Scripts for Visually Impaired Students

Posted 10-20-2017 08:57
    It is amazing how many connections we all share - one of my "to-do" list items for today was to contact MTI about the possibility of getting a Large Print script for the musical we've chosen for the spring.

I have a student whose albinism has affected his eyesight - and he just needs things to be printed in a larger font.  We were thrilled to see that Samuel French offered a large print script for our current play, And Then There Were None.

But for the spring - reading sheet music and lines in a smaller booklet has been problematic. With the limitations on copying materials, we want to ask questions up front to see how we can accommodate this student's needs.

A little twist on the original question, but throwing it out there for suggestions while we're on the topic... Thanks!

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 4.  RE: Scripts for Visually Impaired Students

Posted 10-20-2017 10:08
    Hope, I LOVE the feed-in idea. When they start doing some scene work, I may have my TA 1st period do that with her. That idea never really crossed my mind.

Thanks!

I'll also look into that program you mentioned.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 5.  RE: Scripts for Visually Impaired Students

Posted 10-25-2017 12:16

I have a student who is completely blind in my Theatre II class.  This is my second year to have him.  Many times, I e-mail him scripts so that he can have his computer programs, or phone apps, to read aloud what he needs.  He also has something that the district has provided for him called a Braille Sense.  It is a device that is used to read without having individual pages of script printed in Braille.  The SPED department Paraprofessional also came up with using his geometry tool to help him visualize the set for a play that he had to study for class.  It is an apparatus that uses something close to wax paper, and when you press down on it, the line actually lifts up on the paper so the box drawn on the paper now becomes more dimensional than just a drawing.  I do many aural things with him, for the play it was read aloud to him and he took notes on his phone...or the para or I acted as a scribe for him.   Check to see if there is a state library for the blind.  You can ask for boxes to be recorded at each library for the blind.  

I also cast him as Egeus last spring in A Midsummer Night's Dream.  He won the part with his callback.  His voice was so powerful, I had to use him!   We used the geometry tool again so he would be able to visualize the ground plan for the set.  I cast a second person to be his servant.  They helped him managed the blocking.  In addition, the servant was there to serve any way they could.  

In class this year, I had him record his lines on his phone (any recording device would work) by recording two classmates reading the scene.  I also sent a copy to him in email so his braille sense could be used.  

It is very intimidating to work with the visually impaired and I have had to get very creative.  My mother is legally blind and has been since I was 5.  I have had a whole lifetime to prepare me for a theatre student who is visually impaired, but it was daunting to think about.  We as teachers have a duty to monitor and adjust.  My student is still required to participate in live theatre-to attend at least one performance a semester.  The sound aspect is still just as important.  I ask him to think about how characters are formed through voice--what sets them apart--also about the sound designs, how the movement sounds on the stage.  It throws you for a loop but keep being proactive and ask for help, I find that thinking outside of the box and stopping to ask questions has worked and made my student demand to take my class again.  

Hopefully this helps some.  And please know you can reach out to me any time you want!

Graci Johnson
    Theatre Director
    Benonville West High School
    CENTERTON, AR