Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Radium Glow...Help?

Posted 10-08-2019 13:06
    Hi all!
    I'm producing Melanie Marnich's These Shining Lives, a work of "creative non-fiction" based on events in Chicago and Ottowa, Illinois...where unskilled young women were hired to paint luminous watch dials using radium laced paint. I'm trying to find a way to get the performer's hands to glow without the use of black-light. I have a back-up that is dependent on black-light but it's not all that travel friendly and I was hoping to find something else. Any suggestions? Has anyone else produced this work and if you have, what did you do? I'd love to know!
    Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Minette Perez
    Fine Arts Instructor
    Miami FL

• 2.  RE: Radium Glow...Help?

Posted 10-08-2019 23:30
    I posted about my the glow effect lighting design and collaboration with props and makeup for These Shining Lives, in another forum post here.  Photos are included.  My response is number 3.  We used small battery powered black lights to charge phosphorescent makeup (chargeable makeup, as opposed to fluorescent makeup that only goes while under blacklight).

We bought a few different products including:
    -Glow Powder for props
    -Kryolan Glow in the Dark Cream for makeup (not sure where from)

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Radium Glow...Help?

Posted 10-09-2019 07:37
    My kids literally dipped their hands in glow stick "juice", this is what we used for the "paint".  It doesn't last long  but it gave the effect we wanted. They can wear Dr. gloves to protect their hands.

Rachel Queen
    Drama Director
    Rachel Queen
    Adairsville GA

• 4.  RE: Radium Glow...Help?

Posted 10-10-2019 10:10
    Hello!

We did Radium Girls at our school last year. We used a combination of the Halloween makeup that glows and paint to get our girls to glow and some of our props to glow as well. Break a leg on your performance!

Briana Navarro
    Teacher
    Clover Park School District
    Lakewood WA