Open Forum

View Only

Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

• 1.  Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-20-2017 16:35
    Any suggestions on making the amulets glow in Peter and the Starcatcher?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 2.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 05:55
    I just closed this show! I used a mini keychain LED light. Molly holds the amulet with one hand and lights it with the other hand. Easy and effective.

Denise Johnson
    Director/Choreographer
    Greensboro Day School
    AEA, SAG/AFTRA

• 3.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-22-2017 08:31

As I mentioned before, we created most everything we could in our tech class.  We had two pineapples.  Both were made out of 2 liter soda bottles and thin cardboard.  They cut the cardboard into leaves and small discs to be the texture of the pineapple itself.  For the second one, they made the pineapple in two pieces.  We used large magnets to connect the two pieces.  I had already decided to make that portion of the fight scene slow motion for the humor and it worked perfectly!  Kids come up with great ways to fix a problem!

• 4.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-22-2017 11:09
    these worked quite well. They're cheap...they just needed a different neck chain.
    We bought a lot of them so we would be sure we had 2 working amulets for each show.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Sunnyvale CA

• 5.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-22-2017 11:10
    here's the link for what we used
    Baoqishan 8PCS Colorful LED sparkle plastic necklace and shining pendants (in pentacle star and heart shape)
    Amazon remove preview
    Baoqishan 8PCS Colorful LED sparkle plastic necklace and shining pendants (in pentacle star and heart shape)
    View this on Amazon >

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Sunnyvale CA

• 6.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 06:36
    I'd like to piggy back on that question as we are opening in two weeks--how or what have some of you done for the pineapple that is whacked in half?

Thanks,
    Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 7.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 12:51
    We ordered two fake pineapples from Amazon (but you could also make your own probably) and cut one in half. The cut one was only used in that scene and when it was thrown the blade was swung at the same time (we had the actors pretty close together on stage) so it appeared to slice in half. Up until that moment, it was just held together by the actor. We experimented with magnets and velcro but this seemed to work best in terms of happening quickly and seeming realistic. We cut the pineapple we ordered in half using a hand saw and painted the inside (which was solid white plastic plasterish material) yellow to match the outside.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 8.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 07:36
     Three ideas:
    1. Don't make them glow. The show is all about imagination
    2. Rig a small LED light to a small disk battery. Make a pull tab on one of the connecting sides so it can be controlled buy the actor
    3. CAREFUL - fill the amulet with glow stick fluid

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 9.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 08:05
    I tried to glow the amulet with a small flashlight from behind but didn't like it. In the end, we just focused the lights on the one area around the necklace. The placement was very specific and had to be marked/spiked for the actors. It worked beautifully.

We never figured out the pineapple. we tried to cut one in half and put toothpicks in it. Never worked and very messy. I finally found a prop pineapple on line but I couldn't get it in time. I would say to find some kind fo prop/foam piece and cut that in half and use that industrial strength sticky tack (can't remember the name).

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 10.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-24-2017 08:50
    We used a small led light in the amulet that was easy for actors to turn on and off as needed. We did create our own foam pineapple. It looked and worked great. My props mistress had a great time making it. 

Jill Campbell
    jkc11@scasd.org
    State College Area High School
    ARTsmART(Learning Enrichment/Gifted Support)
    Director State High Thespian Troupe 5029

• 11.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 09:39

Since our production followed the "created by us" tone of the show, we had actors with small finger lights that flashed the plastic gemstones that we used to make the amulets.  

• 12.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 09:52
    For the amulet we had another cast member (crouched down or standing to the side with back to audience) shine a flashlight on her chest. We did the same for Lord Astor's amulet.  

For the pineapple two ideas - carve a shape from blue construction insulation foam board. Use glue and sawdust for texture. Heavy paper for the leaves or some of that ribbon with wire in it. Use a couple of strong magnets to hold the haves together. Split the pineapple in mid air in slo- motion. The "thrown" pineapple is carried through the air by a cast member and split by hand as the sword goes through it.   

The pineapple could also be made from a large Nerf football, Or a Goodwill football cut in half with a GreatStuff foam filler. Using a football is more in the found object character of the play.  
    You may want to have two pineapples- one that splits and one for tossing around and "tasting". 
    Have fun.

Bob Sedoff
    Board member MN chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina High School, MN

• 13.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-22-2017 07:17
    Looking at a fresh pineapple last night... just twist the top off of a fresh pineapple and glue that onto an old football.

Bob Sedoff
    Board member MN chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina High School, MN

• 14.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-21-2017 12:46
    We used a keychain flashlight that was small and then Molly and her father could control them easily by turning them on and off themselves and we painted the outside to resemble a shell at least in color. I realized later that a runners light might have worked even better or something like a kids halloween safety button. These are like little clip on lights that you would wear on your clothes to run at night or kids wear on halloween to be better seen. Again they have a push button to turn them off and on, but they come in different shapes, and often are rounded on the front and flat on the back so could be attached to a bigger piece that resembles a shell or painted around the edges to resemble a shell. All are fairly inexpensive on Amazon. Just my suggestions.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 15.  RE: Peter and the Starcatcher Amulet

Posted 04-25-2017 09:22
    Thank you all for the responses--we are going to experiment and see what works!

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO