Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Sound of Music German military and nun costumes

Posted 09-13-2017 14:31
    Hello,

I am directing The Sound of Music fall and am wondering if anyone near East Central Indiana has done this show and has any German military uniforms I could rent or borrow or might know where I could rent them.  The show calls for one S.S. uniform for Rolf, a German admiral uniform for Von Schreiber, a uniform for Zeller, and a German navy uniform for Captain von Trapp.  Also, I could use suggestions for sources for nun and postulant costumes as well.  I am located in Selma about five miles east of Muncie.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ken Robinson

------------------------------
    Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 2.  RE: The Sound of Music German military and nun costumes

Posted 09-14-2017 22:37
    When I did it two years ago I just used black pant, black shirts and black ties with swastika armbands for the soldiers. For the nuns you can use grad gowns if you have them (band the sleeves in and get black fabric for veils and surplices). I was lucky enough to have a local theater to supply them.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 3.  RE: The Sound of Music German military and nun costumes

Posted 09-15-2017 00:36
    I love this question.....
    if I were doing this show, I would use older military or suit jackets and add the patches to them.   Many military stores carry them. That way you could use as many or as few to show rank.  There are several
    Military stores here in NYC that carry them.  
    As for the nuns and the priest costumes, I have them because I have the entire Sister Act set for rent .  And I am sure many other costume places have them for rent as well.  It really depends on how many nuns you have on stage.   If you are wanting to buy nuns costumes I have resource that makes them as well and they are amazing.   Just letting you know what I would do, and I have costumed this show 3 times.   
    Good kuck!  If you need help with the patches or the nuns habits let me know.  

Best 
    Shirlee Idzakovich

Shirlee Idzakovich
    Costumer.shirlee@yahoo.com
    NYC

• 4.  RE: The Sound of Music German military and nun costumes

Posted 09-16-2017 21:21
    When I directed The Sound of Music three years ago I called around and eventually got ahold of the local police academy who was in the process of updating their cadet uniform design. They donated seventy button down khaki shirts with epaulets and matching pants in various sizes on the condition that we removed all the police patches and sent them back.

Those uniforms with black belt, tie, shoes and a red swastika armband looked exactly like the brown shirts from the era. Try calling around and see what you end up with. We still use all the xxl shirts as painting shirts for set construction.

The admiral was actually an American navy jacket we found at a surpluss store and modified with new patches and a different cut. Just use what,you can find.

Kevin T. Pace
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Thespian Troupe 3507
    Osceola Fundamental High School
    Seminole, FL