Open Forum

View Only

A Christmas Carol

• 1.  A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-28-2018 18:26
    We are considering doing A Christmas Carol sometime in the near future. Does anyone have a version you can recommend? I am looking for something that would suit a smaller cast (8-12) and preferably an easy set--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 06:00
    I did Ed Monk's version from Playscripts and really liked it.  Calls for more
    actors, but a very atmospheric version.

------------------------------
    Jessica Shaw
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Alexandria VA

• 3.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 08:16
    We had a great time with Playscripts "A Seussified Christmas Carol." It's definitely off the wall, but our audiences loved it!

Rebecca Black
    Teacher/Director
    Wayland MI

• 4.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 10:24
    Playscripts has another off-the-wall riff by Ian Mairs, called Eb Scrooge: A Southern Fried Carol.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 5.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 12:22

We recently did a version  by R.Rex Stephenson that is produced by Family Plays- it has more female roles than male roles and you could double a lot of the parts. Check it out - it's a pretty fun show :

Matt Scharff
    Theatre Arts Director
    La Vernia High School
    La Vernia, Tx
    A Christmas Carol
    Dramatic Publishing - Home page

Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Dramatic Publishing - Home page
    Plays and Musical dramas, Comedies, One-Acts, Duet-Scenes, Monologues and Other Theatre Resource Material for Elementary, Jr High, High School, Community and Other Amateur and Professional Theatres.
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >

Matt Scharff
    Theatre Director
    La Vernia TX

• 6.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 12:53
    I have a wonderful version. I had the privilege of directing the first version. It is written by Jimmy Calire, formerly with the band America. Google him.
    You will love it.
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is one of the most beloved and widely-read stories ever published (in English-speaking countries, it’s second in popularity to only the Bible). It has been adapted into every conceivable medium. The highlights of our musical adaptation include fealty to Dickens’ original text, affordability, actor-friendliness, musical excellence, and road-worthiness (it has been produced successfully numerous times).
    In easily downloadable files, we provide everything your school, community theater or professional organization will need to mount a production (script, score, musical parts, sound effects, studio rehearsal tracks, template poster). We invite you to look, listen and enjoy.

Http://www.christmascarolthemusical.com

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 7.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 19:36
    Look at the script by Michael Paller. Licensed by Samuel
    • French.

Floyd Nash
    [Theatre teacher]
    Deerfield Beach High
    Deerfield Beach, FL

• 8.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-29-2018 19:44
    We did A Christmas Carol about 4 years ago, fantastic experience.  Some pictures are available online at Trinity High School Theater
    Flickr remove preview
    Trinity High School Theater
    Explore Trinity High School Theater's 1,818 photos on Flickr!
    View this on Flickr >

Go to pages 5 and 6 for the Carol Pictures

We did it very minimal- istically with period costumes... was a lot of fun

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 9.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-30-2018 07:58
    I used the Romulus Linney version and really liked it. Not a small cast but as I remember, doubling would be possible.

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

• 10.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-30-2018 12:07
    I've done CHRISTMAS CAROL many times over the years and have really favored Brian Way's adaptation.  But I would offer another suggestion--have you thought about creating your own adaptation?  I recently did this with my students for CAROL after a really wonderful experience adapting Carroll's ALICE IN WONDERLAND.  Since CC is in the public domain, you are allowed to adapt it.  We read the novel together and I broke the students up into groups and assigned them each a  Stave.  They all had Chromebooks which meant they were able to work together on a Google Doc during the process.  What's so cool is that they are not writing dialogue, but simply taking what is there in the novel and removing the "he saids" or "Scrooge remarked" etc. and putting those into the character's mouths as lines.  We opted for a chorus to speak some of Dickens' descriptive narratives.  The students have to work together to decide what to keep and what to cut.  I gave each group a page limit and we agreed on a standard format for the script.  The result is an incredibly accurate, very dramatic, and original adaptation.  CC naturally lends itself to staging--Dickens himself loved to do readings in which he acted out all the characters complete with different voices.  By adapting the novel, the students own the work and the author gets heard as he intended.  I highly recommend it.

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton North High School
    Renaissance School for the Arts
    Appleton WI

• 11.  RE: A Christmas Carol

Posted 05-30-2018 23:45
    I own the rights to an original script called "Christmas with Scrooge". It is a full length two hour musical adapted from the book "A Christmas Carol" .
    It has been performed throughout Canada and opened the new Sid Williams Theatre in Courtney B.C. 
    It is a wonderful show that can be easily adapted to a small or large group. 
    An original backing track is available as well as the vocal score of the music. 

Margaret Watt
    Artistic Director
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria BC