Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Effective Practices for Theatre Educators

Posted 06-24-2018 12:51
      |   view attached
    As I was preparing to facilitate a workshop at ITF this week, entitled "Bring It On:  Dynamite Experiences for the Classroom, Rehearsal Hall, and Thespian Meetings," I read some articles which I had been saving to read in the Summer. One from Edutopia for which I have had the privilege to write a blog last year-look up my name. The Edutopia article was submitted by Todd Finley. I have included excerpts which I think will work for Theatre classes and rehearsals below. I also attached the document. Hope that you find something which you can use. 

Effective Practices for Theatre Educators

Powerful Engagement Activity and Closure Activities for Theatre Classes and Rehearsals

"Tell Me Something Good." A warm up prompt which I learned from attending a conference was to engage the students immediately with the question, "What's good?" Students share, listen, and are engaged. What a way to start a class. This habit becomes a welcome routine in my classroom engagement and the students' willingness to share. On days when I might feel a need to dive in with the lesson, the question arose, "But you didn't ask us what's good?"

Of course, you can put time limits on this experience or employ it on certain days only; I began to realize how much I needed the kick off when a fellow faculty member passed away. I answered the prompt by remembering some of the good things that she taught me about teaching and shared the valuable tips with my students. They need to know that we value what is good, including our fellow teachers and them, the students.

Powerful Closure Activities

Part of Madeline Hunter's Lesson plan model includes a checklist of eight mandatory teaching practices:  anticipatory set, objective, and purpose, input, modeling, checking for understanding, guided practice, independent practice, and closure. I find that we often do not plan time for closure; that we are in a hurry to get to the bell or the end of rehearsal.

So I continue to find ways to include meaningful closures, which end the lesson and create lasting impressions. According to and Edutopia Blog on Closures, teachers use closure to:  check for understanding and inform subsequent instruction; emphasize key information; tie up loose ends; correct misunderstandings. Students find closure helpful for: summarizing, reviewing, and demonstrating their understanding of major points; consolidating and internalizing key information; linking lesson ideas to conceptual framework and/or previously-learned knowledge; transferring ideas to new situations.

Snowstorm:  Students write down what they learned or a question they have about the lesson on a small piece of paper and wad it up. On a signal, all throw the paper snowballs in the air; each learner picks up a nearby snowball and reads it aloud. Students answer any questions or add one idea to the one given on the paper.

Two-Dollar Summary:  Students write a two-dollar (or more) summary of the lesson. Each word is worth ten cents. For extra scaffolding, ask students to include specific words in their statements.

DJ Summary:  learners write one concept they learned in the form of a favorite song. And sing it.

Gallery Walk (a familiar practice):  On paper groups of students write and draw what they learned. After the completed works are attached to the classroom walls, other students affix Stickies to the posters to extend on the ideas, add questions, or offer praise.

Question Stems: Use question stems framed around Bloom's Taxonomy (http://www.teachthought.com/critical-thing/blooms-taxonomy/25-question-stems-framed-around-blooms-taxonomy/) Have students exchange cards and answer the question they have acquired.

So What?:  Students answer the following prompt: What takeaways from the lesson will be important to know three years from now? Gai Jones' tip ask middle and high school students to answer with what life lessons will they remember three years from now.

Find a First-Grade Student:  Have students describe a concept, procedure, or skill in terms so simple that a child in first grade would get it.

Elevator Pitch:  Ask student to summarize the main idea in under 60 seconds to another students acting as a well-known personality who works in your discipline. After summarizing, students should identify why the famous person might find the idea significant.

Exit Ticket Folder:  Ask students to write their name, what they learned, and any lingering questions on a blank card or "ticket." Before they leave class, direct them to deposit their exit tickets in a folder or bin labeled either "Got it," "more Practice, Please," or "I Need Some Help!"-whichever label best represents their relationship to the day's content.

Gai Jones' Tip

End of Rehearsal Action Item-Before anyone leaves have each actor/technical designer/staff member write any action item they need to accomplish before the next rehearsal or by a specific date. Take time to hear each read aloud.

Feel free to alter or blend any opportunity listed above.

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." Dorothea Brand

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 2.  RE: Effective Practices for Theatre Educators

Posted 06-25-2018 11:29
    As always, Gai your posts are so inspirational!  You have always been a mentor to me (whether you wanted to be or not) and your post today has been a good "kick in the pants" for me to remember that I must always 1) look for and publicly praise the good in our world and 2) always provide time for closure!  So important!  Thank you!

Jeff Bengford
    Performing Arts Chair & Theatre Director, Westmont High School
    Campbell, CA
    www.WestmontDrama.com

• 3.  RE: Effective Practices for Theatre Educators

Posted 07-09-2018 16:12
    Thanks for this, Gai. These are such great strategies for use in every classroom, given the relevant adaptation. 

It's really interesting to come from teaching English to teaching Theatre, as once in a while, in the push by educational publishing houses to find new ways of making teachers part with their non-existent extra cash and deliver the 'answer to all your teaching problems,' sometimes some excellent strategies arise that are good in any classroom. Generally, the idea of closure is an excellent one to use in any classroom, but especially in theatre, in classes where often teacher and students are together juggling multiple projects at once and can do with focusing in on 'What is my main action item for next session?' 

Great reminders of really effective strategies. As with any strategy, gotta be driven all the way with! Half-baked implementation can sometimes do more harm than benefit, as I've learned to my own cost! So sometimes you'll need a second or third swing at it, but be persistent/consistent.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Effective Practices for Theatre Educators

Posted 07-11-2018 04:06
    Amazing Gai! Great and inspiring.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School