Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creative staging for formal dining table

Posted 11-13-2018 08:53
    I'm doing Sense and Sensibility this winter, and there are several scenes set at a formal dining table with about eight guests. Does anyone have interesting staging ideas to avoid having either the worlds longest tables or having half the actors with their backs to the audience? I probably can't build anything too elaborate because I don't have a technical director. I'm also interested in suggestions that convey the idea without necessarily using a real table. This is the Kate Hamill version, so there's room for creativity.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Creative staging for formal dining table

Posted 11-14-2018 08:23
    I'm not sure how well it would transfer to a proscenium stage, but Bedlam did Hamill's version in the traverse where everything was on wheels. The dinner table rotated by either the seated actors moving their feet under the table or by the seated actors holding the table while other actors moved their chairs... it's hard to explain but you can see some of it in the video from the American Repertory Theater: A.R.T. - American Repertory Theater | Bedlam's Sense & Sensibility 

Again, might not work as well in a proscenium and it might be a challenge for younger actors. I also just did a show with every set piece on wheels for fast transitions and it can be a bit of a building challenge. But I loved this production and thought it might at least inspire some other thoughts/ideas :) 

Review: At ART, 'Bedlam's Sense and Sensibility' is on a roll - The Boston Globe

Rebecca Curran
    Drama Director
    Sanford FL

• 3.  RE: Creative staging for formal dining table

Posted 11-14-2018 19:56
    If it's a dinner party why not try several tables for four? 
    It might be a challenge to plan but fun to allow actors to circulate.

Nell] [Lynch]
    Timonium MDMaggie