Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Smoke Machines

Posted 04-02-2018 11:51
    Hello Beloved fellow Theatre Artists,

I am in search of a smoke effect where I can create a sudden burst of LOTS of smoke. Smoke/Fire alarms are not a barrier.

Any ideas? Any knowledge on which smoke machines should/should not be used?

Cheers,
    David Roby
    Nathan Hale High School
    Seattle, WA

------------------------------
    David Roby
    Drama/LA Teacher
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: Smoke Machines

Posted 04-03-2018 08:24
    There are many options for you from Smoke of different sizes based on your needs to dry ice machines and low lying fog.

If you are not going to be using it a lot in the future, I recommend renting a machine to meet your needs, we see many units that are used 1 time then sit and don't work for the next, due to not being properly stored.

You exact machine would be based on your wants.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Smoke Machines

Posted 04-03-2018 09:04
    I agree about renting. Unless you see using it again, spend the money on something more powerful to rent rather than a cheaper purchase. But if you want to purchase I still think it depends on a little more detail on the effect. Are you looking for straight up into the air? Does it have to last or do you want it to dissipate quickly? Could you use a CO2 cannon for instance or do you want the smoke to stay there. They do make DJ style smoke machines that shoot the fog straight into the air. Chauvet also makes I believe the Hurricane 1800 Flex. I used to have one personally and I loved it, but it wasn't DMX.  But because the end was flexible you could aim it straight or up or at an angle. Lots of choices depending on your needs. We are about to rent a Nimbus Dry Ice machine and thats a lot of ground fog really quickly.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 4.  RE: Smoke Machines

Posted 04-03-2018 20:26
    I agree with renting. They are so expensive to buy and many are not DMX controlled.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Smoke Machines

Posted 04-05-2018 07:33
    ​Hey David,

I had another thought. We use the Chauvet Geyser units for some really cool effects. It disperses a lot of smoke with color or without, using bright LEDs. It has a nice wireless remote or can be fired through DMX. The link is below. We used to rent them but just ended up buying two. Although you can't use them in every show, we have let the school use them for football and basketball games when the teams come on to the floor.

https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/geyser-p7/

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School