Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-11-2018 14:49

Hi All,

I am thinking about "Alice in Wonderland" for next year's school play.  A couple of questions: 1) would you consider it a "drama" or a "comedy" - personally, I don't think it fits into either one very well - so, what would you call it? And, 2) are there particular scripts/versions that you have had success with in the past?  If so, please let me know authors/licensing information.  Thank you!

Mike

Mike Hancey
    Theatre Program Director
    Musical Theatre, Drama & Theatre Guild
    Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Past-President WYACDA

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-11-2018 15:26
    Children's Theatre Play Script - Alice In Wonderland
    Classicsonstage remove preview
    Children's Theatre Play Script - Alice In Wonderland
    Children's Theatre Scripts and Plays, playscripts, Theatre for Young Audiences, plays for children
    View this on Classicsonstage >

This is a fun and accessible version that has lots of casting options. Between 60 and 80 minutes, depending on what you do with the script.

I wouldn't call it a comedy or a drama - I'd call it a children's classic for all ages.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2018 08:01
    We mounted ALICE a few years ago and, based on the recommendation of the theatre department of Cedarville University (Cedarville, Ohio), we went with the Alice Gerstenberg adaptation. The script is in public domain and you can find copies of it online. We added a scene in the flower garden at the top of Act Two to include a few more female actors. We billed the production as a fantasy - neither comedy nor drama.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 4.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-13-2018 10:18

We just finished a production by Jason Pizzarella.  We had a blast.  Our 20 foot Cheshire Cat Puppet was great fun. All the scenic elements were black and white like the illustrations in the original book.

Visit us on facebook for pictures:  https://www.facebook.com/PoteetPiratePlayers

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 5.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2018 08:59
    My high school students just performed the Eva Le Gallienne version which comes with music by Richard Addinsell, where he set most of the long poems to music.  It was very successful.  We created our own "Wonderland" purposefully not following any of the traditional looks of Disney or Tim Burton, or even the original Tenniel drawings (although these were some of the inspiration). We didn't even put Alice in blue.  The students loved being part of the design and creative process.

I agree that it doesn't fully fall into a drama or comedy category, but there are definitely light and funny moments.

Have fun with it!

Justin Indovina
    Director/Dept. Chair
    Brooklyn NY

• 6.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2018 09:55
    We used the Alice's Adventures in Wonderland adapted by Simon Reade version just this past fall. Great for wanting to stick to the original/first book. 

Carolyn Kovar
    McCluer North High School
    Ferguson-Florissant School District
    Florissant MO

• 7.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-12-2018 11:04
    I’m not a huge fan of “Alice in Wonderland” but I found a musical version by Pioneer that I liked very much called “Wonderland”. The night before announcing, it was the front runner on the final short list but alas we went with “Meet Me in St. Louis”. I will now revisit it again each year. Let me know if you find another musical version that you like.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 04-16-2018 11:52
    I just did Alice this fall. I read several scripts (About 7) and found that I liked aspects of each. One script would have the Tweedles and not have the Duchess or not have the Knights etc. So I ended up doing my own adaptation with aspects of Alice in Wonderland and Through the looking glass. It ran about 1hr 45 min with a 15 min intermission. We billed it as a fantasy as well. If you'd like to take a look at the script I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

Shannon Lee
    Director of Theatre
    Brownwood ISD
    Brownwood TX