Open Forum

View Only

Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

• 1.  Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-09-2019 19:09
    Just wrapped callbacks and all of our roles are pretty much squared away except for Ursula. I have it down to 2 girls. One nails the singing everytime and the other nails the acting. Our Ariel is cast and would be taller by a noticeable amount from the one with the solid singing voice and about the same height as the her performer. For the Ursula part, what's more important - acting ability or singing?

------------------------------
    Carla

• 2.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 08:56
    I suggest going with acting over singing.  A good actor can fake their way through songs with their character expressions and movement.  A flat actor doesn't give much more to the part than a pleasant voice.  I choose acting over singing all the time.

[Pam] [Podolner]
    [Speech/Drama Teacher]
    [Lincoln Middle School]
    [Berwyn] [IL]

• 3.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 11:27
    Yes! I agree with this. My gut's telling me the better actor but I second guess myself since this is only my second go at this. Thank you!

Carla

• 4.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 09:00
    If the only song that Ursula sang was Poor Unfortunate souls, then I would say acting because you could get away with speak-singing awkward notes. However, Daddy's Little Angel and it's reprise require a musician. Also, the final note in Poor Unfortunate Souls should be strong as it is the last song in Act 1. You can't alter voice types and it's a long process to teach students to match pitch. I always like to stick to the adage "It's much easier to teach a singer to act, than an actor to sing." 

Ursula can be any height. The acting and staging should suggest that the character is larger than life and owns the stage (again why I would choose a stronger voice). It would be amusing to see a shorter Ursula boss around a taller Ariel.

BIG HUGS

Justin Daniel
    Tuscarora High School, Leesburg VA
    www.stistaywatch.org
    Huskiedrama@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 11:31
    A local musical theatre friend said the same thing about it being easier to teach someone to act than sing. We're doing the Jr. version so we don't have Daddy's Little Girl at the end (unless it's got another name in the Jr. version?). And excellent reminder about height! We did Annie last year with a Rooster that was shorter than both Miss Hannigan and Lily and it played out perfectly. Thank you!

Carla

• 6.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 09:02
    Good acting with not as good vocals is the only way to go.  I am so tired of watching musicals with pretty voices but no action behind the words.  Musical theatre is acting.  It's not singing IMHO.  That is called choir

Scott Russell
    Theatre Teacher
    Fayetteville AR

• 7.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 11:32
    That's what my gut is telling me. The actor's performance during auditions and callbacks has stayed with me but the singing I've forgotten already. Thanks!

Carla

• 8.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 09:19
    That is a tough one! Usually I go with acting over singing but it really depends on the musical, how challenging the music is, etc. In the end, I ALWAYS go with my gut! I am sure it will be fabulous either way. Height does not matter!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 9.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 11:33
    I needed a reminder to trust my gut. This is my 2nd time doing this and the last time was almost 10 months ago so I feel like I'm doing it for the first time. I give you all so much credit who do this year round! Thanks for the input.

Carla

• 10.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 10:34
    How does the rest of the cast balance out? If you've already got a lot of really strong voices with less acting I'd go with the acting and vice versa. It's about balancing out your cast as a whole. If you're already fairly balanced I'd look at which girl is closer to being able to get both elements. Realistically it sounds like you'll have to budget extra time with this character either way you go.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 11.  RE: Casting Ursul: singing vs acting more important?

Posted 12-10-2019 11:35
    I really like this idea of looking at the cast and seeing the bigger picture. I hadn't thought of it. This helps tremendously. Both girls are very talented and I'll be able to use whoever doesn't get the part into another role that will showcase their talent but Ursula feels like a very important decision so I'm overthinking it. Thank you for this!

Carla