Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  10 women 4 men play recommendations

Posted 11-08-2017 08:08
    I am looking for a play, drama, comedy for a cast of 10 women 4 men for our  US High School program here in London. Any thoughts? It can be a new play, edgy material or tame. We are open to any suggestions one might have. Many thanks as always. Best, Buck Herron, director.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In accordance with The Companies (Registrar, Languages and Trading Disclosures) Regulations 2006: * Registered name: The American School in London Educational Trust Limited * Registered number: 784923 * Place of registration: England * Registered office address: One Waverley Place, London, NW8 0NP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: 10 women 4 men play recommendations

Posted 11-09-2017 08:34
    How about "The Women of Troy," A very dramatic Greek One Act with modern language. "A Little Princess" is also a strong story with many ladies, some would just have to play younger Teenagers. I can't remember e3xactly how mnay women, but also look at "Little Women." I know there are other ladies in that one besides the 4 sisters and the Marmie, and Aunt Marge. 
    Hope you find one!

------------------------------
    Suzanne "Mama" Craig
    MS/HS Theatre/Speech
    Lipscomb Academy
    Nashville, TN

• 3.  RE: 10 women 4 men play recommendations

Posted 11-09-2017 09:20
    ​I'm pretty sure we had breakdowns similar to that for Triangle and Metamorphoses. Actually, I think any of Mary Zimmerman's plays would work because you can double, expand, and cross-gender cast. We had a bigger cast than that for the RSC version of Arabian Nights, but you could totally do it with 14.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: 10 women 4 men play recommendations

Posted 11-11-2017 12:22
    Thanks to both of you! Very helpful...

Best,

Buck Herron
    London, UK

• 5.  RE: 10 women 4 men play recommendations

Posted 11-15-2017 04:27
    I'd suggest you look at three shows:
    Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham.  Lots of female roles and several for males.  It is written as reader's theatre, but don't let that hold you back.  I have fully staged the production twice now.  Full blocking, costumes, music, etc.  

It covers the roles of women (as soldiers, mothers, wives, sisters, etc.) from World War I to the Iraqi Conflict.  Beautiful messages.  

Samuel French carries both the full reader's theatre script and the one-act with full blocking.

The Hope and Heartache Diner  by Lindsay Price - the one-act version has a cast of 16 and can be primarily female.  Carried by Theatrefolk.  A wonderful play with heart.  The full length has more characters, but could be double cast.  We even went so far as to double cast the grandparents and other people in the diner.  Grandma also played Mom, etc.  Lots of fun characters.  Not necessarily edgy, but fun character development and heartwarming.  

Cobweb Dreams also by Lindsay Price, - a wide variety of characters and lots of fun, but also heartwarming - not edgy.  This play is a parallel story to A Midsummer Night's Dream.  Interesting and quirky.  

I wish you all the best!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    The Kentucky Thespian Society
    Owensboro KY