Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical for the fall

Posted 06-13-2018 10:28
    We were currently going to do 9 to 5 the musical in the fall.  I had everything set ready to go and the administration states that i need to do something more family friendly.  They have not given me a real reason why I can not produce the show but oh well.  So looking for a show that is compatible and "FAMILY FRIENDLY".  Any suggestion are welcome I have a really good group of females that can sing and dance and a couple of guys.  Looking for simple set and simple dance.

--
    Charles Puetzer
    Math Department
    Stage Manager
    Michigan City High School
    8466 W Pahs Road
    Michigan City, IN 46360
    (219) 873-2044, ext. 4360
    cpuetzer03@mcas.k12.in.us

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer system. There is no waiver of attorney-client or other privilege by the transmission of this message.

• 2.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-13-2018 22:48
    ​Good evening,

I love it when administration believes they know everything. Spelling Bee, Fame or Godspell would all work.

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-14-2018 07:22
    I highly recommend Once Upon A Mattress. You can cast many of the male roles with females too. It's family-friendly, great fun and should serve all your purposes well. I would also suggest you have more of a sit-down with administration about their censorship of your choices for shows. If they are going to set a precedent, than they should give you some very specific guidelines to follow for future production choices. This kind of thing makes me craaazzzy! Leave the show picking to the experts...

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 4.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-14-2018 08:26
    Thank you for the suggestions.  We just did "13 the Musical",  "Once upon a Mattress", "Cinderella", "Oklahoma" and "Godspell" over the last 5 years.  I have done the kid friendly shows for the past 3 years i was looking to do something a little more adult.  The sad thing is that the kids were pumped up to do the show. one more thing I have know clue what my administrator means by family friendly nor will she give me an answer "in writing".

Charles Puetzer
    Stage manager
    Michigan City Area Schools
    Michigan City INStage manager

• 5.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-14-2018 13:45
    I've had similar experiences at my school.  Even "Working" was censored after our opening night.  We did "We Will Rock You" this past spring and it went over really well.  The kids loved it and the admin too.  Or have you considered "All Shook Up"?

Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 6.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-14-2018 18:24
    I heard All Shook Up is a great show. We did Rock of Ages last fall. We did the school edition to clean up language and adult references. It was an absolute hit! The kids loved it, the audience loved the 80’s music! The only problem you may incur is number of males. Depending on how many you have. I will say we did change a role from male to female and it worked just fine.

---------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-14-2018 18:43
    Gotta love the admin vote at the 11th hour!
    Little mermaid? Beauty and the Beast? Wizard of Oz? Spelling Bee? Little Shop (just did it and people loved it, especially when performed around halloween!)

Good Luck!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 8.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-19-2018 18:30
    I produce in a small, conservative community and had no problems with Beauty and the Beast, Bye Bye Birdie, or Cinderella.  If you want something modern, I love Band Geeks, and it's pretty darn non-offensive.  I received a raised eyebrow or two for Footloose and Pajama Game, but they are also really tame!

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 9.  RE: Musical for the fall

Posted 06-20-2018 01:19
    I second both All Shook Up and Godspell. 

What about Peter Pan, The King and I, or Once on this Island?

I'm doing Mamma Mia this year. There isn't really anything too offensive in it unless you just don't like ABBA. 

Jared

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA