Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Portable Set

Posted 08-03-2018 08:36
    Hey All,
     My stage is in the cafeteria and we like to do our fall murder mystery plays on the floor to make it more interactive. In the past we have hauled our large heavy wooden walls up and down every day in order to practice. This, frankly, is a pain and is really hard on our set and actors. 

I'm hoping that someone has experience with building a lightweight easily portable set that we can get ideas from. I'm thinking maybe something with pvc and canvas? Has anyone build something like this for a traveling show or something? 

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-03-2018 09:18
    Muslin on a 1x4 frame should do the trick. You can connect them with lash cleats, coffin locks, or just by screwing them together.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-03-2018 11:03
    There are lots of possible solutions here, but we need more information.

You said your walls are large and heavy. How are they built? If they are built as theatrical flats, then you should be able to move them in small, fairly light sections, like touring shows.

Another question is the walls themselves. Do you have too many walls for your purpose? What does the set look like?

A photo would also help us.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 4.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-05-2018 09:03
    Our walls are wooden frames with canvas stretched across. They were donated to our dept by a local church. We then built a wooden frame behind them so they would stand up on their own. They are in sections and we change up the number of them that we use for each show. 

Here is a picture from our most recent fall play. We used 6 wall panels and 3 door panels. I loved this set and thought it looked pretty great but moving all the pieces up and down everyday is very tough. 

Stephanie Clussman
    Lakeville IN

• 5.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-06-2018 11:05
    Are you allowed to place masking tape on the floor of the rehearsal space that marks where your flats and doors will be for the show? You can do a lot of rehearsing with this method and then bring the set pieces down only near the actual performance. Just measure everything out so the tape accurately represents where the set pieces will be.

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 6.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-06-2018 20:48
    Two thoughts.

As Ann says, maybe you can do without the actual set for most of the rehearsals, especially if you invest in some actual spike tape.  Alternately, you could cut out cardboard strips and daily tape them to the floor where the walls and doors will eventually be.

Second, if those flats have years and years of paint on them, you might consider ordering heavy weight muslin, stripping the current fabric off, and recovering them.  Accumulated paint is heavy!

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 7.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-07-2018 07:29
    One of the shows that I direct is also in a cafeteria.  We rent pipe and drape walls to create a 3 "walls" for a backstage and wings.  However, we don't get those until show day.  Because this is at an Elementary school, my actors need a more visual / 3D representation of where the walls will be than taping would provide.  Every rehearsal, we take 2 school chairs and run yarn between them to create the walls.  It's a quick set up and a favorite job at the end of rehearsal is cutting the yarn and getting to keep it (because they are 2nd - 5th graders).

Janet Cain
    Cincinnati OH

• 8.  RE: Portable Set

Posted 08-07-2018 13:49
    Thanks for your ideas. Yes, we do use spike tape to mark out all our walls and entrances in different colors so we don't have to move our walls until show week. I was still hoping to find something simple to make it easier for my cast members.

Stephanie Clussman
    Lakeville IN