Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-27-2017 14:32
    Dear hive mind,
    I was just called on the carpet by admin. because a parent complained about a group grade for the dress rehearsal prior to classroom performance where we invite other classes to watch. I feel that this is a group grade e.g. can you rescue a fellow cast member who forgets the line, can you improvise your way through a problem, do you function as a cast and care for each other to make the whole thing work. I was quoted district policy that says every group member has to be graded individually on their individual effort. The parent who is on the warpath has a top ten child whose GPA is really hurt by anything less than a 100 in a regular class. Her position is that her child knew her lines and had her costume...why should she be penalized because others were not as prepared. I tried to explain that when presenting a play that is not all there is to it, and they just don't get it. So now I have to figure out an individual grade for each person. Do any of you have a rubric for a classroom play that includes all the factors that stretch way beyond, "Well, I had all my lines memorized, the rest of my group just doesn't care!"

Thank you in advance for wonderful answers!!!
    Vici Anderson
    Theatre Director
    Coronado High School
    El Paso, TX

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 04:18
    I'm not sure if anyone has anything ready made, but I was thinking about similar concerns and drafted an idea that might help.  The standards in Texas are different from those in Washington, but it seems like you have a particular standard you can use for giving and individual grade on a group presentation.  Feedback from anyone would certainly be beneficial.

Texas Standard (c)(2)(E):  Collaborate to create original works of art

Basic:  Does not contribute to performance or detracts from group dynamic

Critical attributes:

Argumentative when other participants explore alternate interpretations

Does not contribute to group design

Efforts do not support group success (e.g., fails to memorize lines or care for costume and properties.)

Approaching:  Marginal contribution to performance and group dynamic

Critical attributes:

Unresponsive to changes made by other artists during creative exploration

Contributes to group design only when requested

Efforts focused solely on personal contributions

Meeting:  Demonstrates commitment to group success

Critical attributes:

Explores various interpretations and artistic presentations of personal contributions during rehearsal

Adjusts personal performance elements to support a unified design

Supports artistic contributions of group members

Exceeding:  Facilitates artistic expression from entire group

Critical attributes:

Initiates exploration of alternate presentations with group members

Actively elicits design elements and artistic choices from other group members

Provides constructive feedback to group members on contributions

Integrates artistic contributions of group members

------------------------------
    Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 3.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 09:42
    I teach middle school drama and have to grade individually on group acting projects.  Here is my rubric.  You can expand "Team Member Work Ethic" to your needs.  Hope this helps.
    Debby Shellard
    Middle School Drama Teacher
    Glenview, IL

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 4.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 10:06
    For all of the big group performances, I offer two grades of equal weight. One is shared by the whole group based on the overall quality of the performance. This is the one you are already doing. Ensemble work, covering, character relationships, moving the story forward, etc.  I haven't used a rubric for this in the past, but I have been asked to do so for next year.
    The other grade is individual. I watch the group dynamic.  I know who the hard workers are. I also ask them to evaluate the members of their group, what grade does each individual deserve and why.  No one sees this but me so everyone has a chance to be honest.  Sometimes there's a surprise in there, but usually it's right along with what I observed. They also have to evaluate themselves.  Many of those willing to let others do the work are surprisingly honest here.  This also reveals the student willing to take credit for the work of others.  
    So if one grade was 45 out of 50 for the overall performance, and the individual is 50 out of 50 for being the hard worker in the group, this usually balances out.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 11:04
      |   view attached
    I make everything an individual grade.  My basic rubric works along the following lines:

Memorization: 25 points
    Projection: 25 points
    Physical Acting: 25 points
    Vocal Acting: 25 points

Each section has some sub categories that total up to the category.  I you want, add ensemble.  I make my rubric fairly detailed, fill it out for each performance, and make it available on the website.

Hopefully this will help parents understand things a little easier for you!  Good luck!

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 13:27
    For large group performances, I always have students do individual grade self-evaluations. I have a form that everyone fills out. Do they think they deserve 100%? They'll need to write a few paragraphs detailing what they contributed to the performance.
    Last week I had a student ask me why she got 80% on her semester-end performance. I asked her how she ranked herself (1-10) on her self evaluation form. She told me she gave herself an 8.
    "It sounds to me like we are in perfect agreement."
    "You mean I graded myself?"
    "Sure. I read everyone's evaluation. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree, but mostly I agree."
    "oh..."
    She walked away, looking puzzled.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Sunnyvale CA

• 7.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-28-2017 14:59
    I always give individual grades. I teach educational theater. Many kids in my classes did not choose to be there. Some enjoy it and totally buy in. Others hate it and make their position well known. In the past, I have even had kids purposefully sabotage their group's work by not showing up on performance day, destroying props, "losing" their scripts, etc. I want to support my kids who work hard and/or step up in a difficult situation. 

I have worked with professional productions where actors and technicians don't carry their weight. Results are clearly in the critical reviews and responses from the audience! If critics and audience-goers can identify specific flaws and triumphs, I believe it is my duty as an educator to do the same for the students in my classes. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 8.  RE: Classroom Play Grading

Posted 05-29-2017 09:50
    Here is a self-evaluation rubric I used for a performance class.

DRMA 272 Rehearsal and Performance: Comedy

Self-Assessment

Instructions:

• Type in Name
    • Highlight (bold or color) the level of your work in each area.
    • Comment on any mitigating circumstances that explains why you may have a lower score.
    • This self-assessment will be a significant portion of how you are graded.
    • Please return via email

Name: _____________________________________________________

Rehearsal/Performance Courtesy
    1. Always on time, without missing a rehearsal or creating disruptions
    2. Mostly on time, few absences, and/or few disruptions; occasionally did not anticipate upcoming scene and had to be sought out.
    3. Frequently late, multiple absences and/or frequent disruptions. Occasional missed entrances.
    4. Often late and/or left early. Missed entrances during performance

Comments:

Commitment level

1. Fully committed from beginning
    2. Became more committed as rehearsals progressed
    3. Only became fully committed as performances approached
    4. Never really committed to production

Comments:

Memorization

1. Met deadlines for off-book and off-prompt
    2. Struggled with memorization, did not meet deadline
    3. Memorization still an issue as we transitioned into dress rehearsals
    4. Not memorized by performance

Comments:

Characterization/follow direction

• Continually explored character and followed direction to improve character
    • Struggled with characterization, tried to follow direction, but left character development until late in process
    • Followed direction, but did not find a strong character
    • Delivered lines as self without developing character

Comments:

Assignments

• Followed through on all assignments given
    • Followed through on some assignments
    • Follow through minimal
    • Did not accept assignments/role when asked

Comments:

Bonus

• Did extra work outside class, including working on set, marketing, poster deployment, etc. Please explain below what you did and the number of hours you put in.

Comments: 

Hours: __________

Progress

How do feel this class and production helped you develop as an actor/technician? Please identify any improvement that you saw in your skills. Answer in the space below.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA