Open Forum

View Only

You Can't Live Without _________

• 1.  You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-08-2017 14:02
    I am was hired to start the drama department at a K-12 school. We have very little funding/budget as well as currently no performance space. For the productions we have done this year we have brought a small platform stage into the lunchroom. Our hope would be to have a performance space in the not too crazy far off future. With all of that being said the school did a huge fun-run to raise money for the Fine Arts Departments. From that we have already purchased a small sound system and some microphones. I have a nice chuck of change left over that I am trying to decide what I should purchase/need under our current circumstances. 

In my head that list goes on and in lots of different directions, so I am interested in what you think you cannot live without in your departments/programs. Whether it is something you always find yourself using or it really helps you in your productions.

------------------------------
    Shelby English
    Macon, GA

• 2.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-09-2017 08:24
    I highly recommend you get some of the Ludlam Dramatics classroom theatre posters. There are some that cover the basics that are perfect  for Elementary Creative Dramatics classes and others that help out with some of the deeper concepts that you will work on with you High School students. Check them out!

Matt
    Instructor
    Flower Mound TX

• 3.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-09-2017 09:31
    I started a theatre department under conditions almost identical to yours! We started with $0, earned $2500 after our first show, and each year since have added about $750-$1000 to our annual budget. So, still a very small budget compared to some schools, but enough to work with if you avoid major musicals that require multiple backdrops and complicated scene changes/costuming/music. We'll eventually get there, but it takes a lot more money to do those than a straight play.

Primarily, we have used our money to invest in supplies to make stellar sets--wood, paint, etc. Then we upgraded our costuming supplies to make many of our costumes in-house. We started with a manageable number of lighting instruments and since those are very expensive, we're making do with them rather than buy a lot of those, but if you don't have a lighting system at all, you might want to start there. I'd say invest in anything that makes your program more impressive from year-to--year. By improving quality, you'll start making an argument for a permanent performance space. Good luck! You're at a frustrating--but super exciting--stage!

Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 4.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-09-2017 10:29
    In a way I envy you! Being hired to start a new program and being at a school that wants you to build the program! Wow! How often does that happen
    I would recommend, since you are in a "found" space, go to a reputable stage lighting company and build a good LED lighting system. You won't need additional power and it can be portable. It will cost more than incandescent. 
    You might start by asking for assistance from a regional theatre or college/university theatre program. 

While set material is needed, too, I think you might get a lot of that donated from parents who you put out the call that you are in need. 

Good Luck!!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-09-2017 12:34
    Like you, ten years ago I was asked to start a Drama program, 6-12. (Our district still does not offer elementary drama.) A decade on, we still have no performance space and I rehearse in my English classroom which, luckily, is the largest in secondary. Given a lack of funding, my solution has been to find local venues willing to host a drama production for free. In particular, several local restaurants have been willing to do this; variations on "dinner theater." All that being said, it is lighting equipment that I can't do without. In Seattle (80 miles and a ferry ride away), renting is cheap; purchasing is expensive, so I rent and take a day to drive each way for lights.  If I had funding, I would own a simple lighting set-up that I could take with me wherever I go, or even set up to create a flexible performance space in school sometime. I think the music staff and others would want to use it, and the powers that be might begin to understand the lack of facilities and how creative drama folks are and have to be in order to do what you are undertaking. But if you have "two planks and a passion" - as clearly you do - you will have fun and kids will learn. Everything else is gravy.

Richard Carter
    Author/Director: Community Shakespeare Company;
    MS/HS Teacher, Lopez Schools
    Lopez Island, WA

• 6.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-09-2017 12:52
    Here's a response from a guy who's not a teacher, but a full-time set designer.  :-)

What I couldn't do without is good stories and good actors to show me those stories. And, of course, an audience to watch those stories.

Some lighting equipment is fine if you're in a space with bad lighting. Good sound-reinforcing equipment is great if your space is big and/or the acoustics are bad. But those are there just to help the audience see what we want them to see: actors showing a story. Believe it or not, the same is true of Broadway.

There are lots of plays -- good plays -- out there that require little to no tech support in the sense of fancy lighting, costumes, or sets. A few pieces of furniture, a few props, and a cast that can shake the audience with a good story will take you farther than two 53' trailers full of scenery and lights. And the kids will realize that theatre is about the stories, not about the frosting on the cake.

I just did a post on my blog (below) about flats, and, more generally, about sets. It's titled "Flats are over-rated," and it is totally based on my experience watching good theatre and bad theatre over the past thir%*%$-odd years.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 7.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-10-2017 10:42
    I am going to agree with George that telling great stories is the most important thing.  There are two critical parts of our high school Theatre program that underpin everything we do: independent play reading and playwriting.

I maintain a classroom collection of scripts, about 500 titles, mainly acting editions, although I have a few trade paperbacks.  At 3 week intervals, students submit written play reports following a specific 5-part format and do oral reviews for their classmates, being careful not to give away too much of the plot.  If I forget that it is play report day, because I am crazed by production details, I am reminded by students putting our chairs in a circle.  I spend $200 to $300 a year buying new scripts--new titles and replacements for ones that have worn out.  Many plays on the shelf cannot (or should not) be produced in high school--Streetcar, Suburbia, etc.--but that doesn't mean individual kids can't really enjoy them.  Lisa Loomis' Distracted has gone hand to hand since I put it in the bookshelf in January.

Most of my Theatre I students are terrified by the idea of playwriting, until they write their objective-driven monologue inspired by conflict in their own lives.  The other levels eagerly anticipate the playwriting unit that begins a couple of days after strike.  I was a terrible playwriting instructor until I received training about a decade ago from Young Playwrights, Inc., in New York.  I had attended lots of playwriting workshops, but learning tools to inspire and respond to writing was essential for me.  Now about half of what we do each year is student-written.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-10-2017 08:15
    If you have the money to spend and your sound system is taken care of... lighting. If you have any storage space, spend some money to get it outfitted so it can be used most efficiently - shelves, lumber storage, paint storage, tool storage, prop storage, etc... Get some Z-racks and dustcovers for costumes.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 9.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-10-2017 15:46
    Congrats on your new posting!  It's very exciting to me be able to build a program from the ground up.  I expect your stage will soon grow into a theatre, and when it does you'll probably find that other groups want to use it, and then you'll find that you've stepped into the role of managing all the uses of the space.  I wanted to let you know that the next session of the Theatre Management Training online course is starting in June.  Please contact me if you are interested in getting a head start on next year's challenges.  Again, congratulations!

Beth Rand

High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training online course: Summer Session starts June 12. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations"

www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 10.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-11-2017 08:16
    I agree with many of these posts, and I definetly agree that making your program look better and better each year in order to prove you can do this and have them keep giving you resources is a great idea, but I also caution that at times this can backfire. I have seen/been part of of situations where they come back at you and say, well you seem to be making it great without more funding so why do you need more... not a great situation to be in.  
    As I think through things I might buy, If I am going for wow factor would be projectors. You can use them to create detailed backdrops without spending hours painting. Yes, you might have to start out by projecting through your actors, unless you have good room to do so around them, but it could be fun. 
    I think one of the better things to get would be items to define your theater space and really make it more special. Things like pipe and drape to curtain off the sides and back and make a backstage area. Things that will make your students feel better about having a makeshift space for a while. I think investing in this type of stuff would really help define your look. 
    Set pieces are great, but like someone said, parents might help with those things, and really you can start with basics, like blocks and benches that don't cost much, and borrowing set pieces from other schools usually works. 
    I think lighting is a great idea too, but one expensive, and two, if its that basic already, lighting is great, but not essential. The room has lights I assume, so use those till you can really spend the money. The likely hood of getting more than like 2 lights on tiny budget is low, so its not going to be worth it, but the controller for the lights. 
    If you do want lighting, get some LEDs. easy to add numerous ones to normal wall outlets, and amazon has some pretty decent generic brands for cheap. I have bought some actually pretty strong ones for like $30s a piece  and they were not half bad. 
    Overall, whatever you buy will only enhance what you have already done. But most importantly, invest in things that can be used over and over. I often follow that rule to get specialty equipment, as long as I can prove I will use it again, I usually get the money for it.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 11.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-11-2017 09:27
    In the beginning, I'd say some rehearsal cubes, and other flexible set items like a wall with a door, maybe another few walls, a couple of small platforms, ... This gives students a chance to manipulate a set even though you may not have the budget, space, or resources to do a lot of full scale set items. You can build these, or purchase them from companies that sell stock set pieces or even portable staging companies. Durability and quality come in to play (which is why I build my own, cheap and strong). When I started my program eleven years ago, this is what we started with and we did "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," "Secrets Every Smart Traveler Should Know," "Romeo and Juliet," and other shows with flexible setting options with all the same platforms and rehearsal cubes that we painted according to the show. The kids got to rehearse with them right off the bat, and made more use of manipulating them in unique ways by having them early on and using them often. Lighting, and sound are fun, but may be outside of your budget and unnecessary in a cafetorium, but stuff to play on and play with will help your students in their storytelling and help you to offer technical roles and responsibilities that any interested student can take on (designing, painting, stagehands,...).

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 12.  RE: You Can't Live Without _________

Posted 04-11-2017 11:37
    Congrats! I had to rebuild my department from the ground up (mostly) when I came to my school. While it is a lot of work the payoff is incredible! One thing I did was look for plays with a lot of name recognition so I'd draw an audience in while ensuring it was something that could be done with a minimalist set (excluding Diary of Anne Frank). This allowed me to build up funds pretty quickly. I also hit up local stores like Home Depot and Lowes and asked for cull wood. I was able to get that free of charge (since it was being used in a school) and was able to build basic pieces I needed (although I was sometime pretty creative in how that happened). 

I'd start with the basics you need to produce shows:
    - stage boxes
    - door (on castors)
    - basic costume pieces
    - table and chair
    - couch or loveseat

I'd also ask for donations from your fellow teachers. I've gotten a lot of the furniture I use through donations when other people on campus are redecorating. You can also check with local religious institutions to see if they have anything. 

If you do end up building pieces I HIGHLY recommend spending a little more money on the product now to save in the future. I built a full 8x8 platform (w/ matching staircase) my first year at my current school and I am still reusing it in my productions. I spent more on non green wood but, nearly 10 years later, I still haven't had to replace it. 

Sorry. I can get a little long winded. ;)

Final note... make a list of everything you think you want to make your space as usable as possible. Then pare it down to what you actually need. Get what you need (hopefully with 1 or 2 of the wants) and then try to slowly check off the wants list over the next 5+ years. It's a long process... but it's doable!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ