Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wizard of Oz costumes

Posted 01-14-2020 09:42
    I'm looking for Munchkin, Winkie and Flying Monkey costumes. The Munchkins are mostly elementary and middle schoolers with a few HS kids mixed in. The Winkies and Flying Monkeys will be for high schoolers. I'm in the Metro Detroit area, but am not afraid to drive. :) Our show opens at the end of April. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Dawn

------------------------------
    Dawn Lichty
    Technical Director/Teacher
    Auburn Hills MI

• 2.  RE: Wizard of Oz costumes

Posted 01-16-2020 13:06
    If you can't find places to rent them...The Wizard of Oz was one of my favorite experiences from high school because we made our own costumes in class! It was incredibly fun and they turned out so great, especially the Munchkins because of these creative paper wigs. We used a cheap chef's hat for the base, then cut out and attached strips of colorful paper and curled it, folded it, etc. to make these fun creations. Here's a similar kind of tutorial I found:
    https://www.marthastewart.com/265515/paper-wigs

For the Monkeys, we bought our own black pants, black long sleeve shirt, black shoes. We made a red vest (these were simple sewing projects, I think we used red felt), and a red Fez hat (I think these were empty butter containers we either spray painted or covered in felt, secured with a thin elastic band around our chins). We glued gold piping around the vest and hat. Then there were the black gloves-just the cheap ones you can buy for $1 at Wal-Mart or a dollar store. We hot glued sparkly gold pipe cleaners to the fingertips and curled them to look scary and fantastical. The wings were cut out of cardboard, spray painted gold, slipped over our shoulders with elastic. Add some monkey make-up and physicality and voila! 

I don't remember the Winkies because I was an "Emerald City Citizen" instead, but I know it was a similar kind of project. 

You still have plenty of time, I'd give your students a chance to take this off your plate!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Wizard of Oz costumes

Posted 01-22-2020 15:53
    Use band uniforms for the winkies
    we made their sticks from bamboo

Tammy Smith