Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Facility Management

Posted 01-12-2018 18:25
    Greetings! I am asking for some references and advice! Our school wants to implement a facility management plan for people and groups that want to rent our space for events and performances and I am one of the ones that will be in charge of the meetings and over seeing the rentals. So my job will be checking the equipment in and out and setup and managing monies. So I need advice in any systems you recommend or prices to charge for use of equipment and hiring operators. Suggestions on applications and handbooks, basically anything. We've never really had any system like this before (until recently no one has really been using the space but now we are starting to see more request. So ANY advice from application to booking to checking out, etc. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Joseph Ellison
    Theatre Director
    Rio Rico AZ

• 2.  RE: Facility Management

Posted 01-12-2018 23:43
    I don't have any specific advice, but if you go to controlbooth.com and search for facility rentals and riders, you might find some good advice. Below are two posts that might be of use. And you could also post the question on the board. I Controlbooth.com has been enormously helpful in answering some of my questions.

Guide for New Renters
    Client/Rental Questionnaire

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Facility Management

Posted 01-13-2018 13:07

Congrats! The job of a High School Theatre Manager is a rare hybrid job that combines education and business management and a theatre background.

More and more high school are managing to raise the money for capital projects to build a theatre facility, but once the keys are handed over there is no money budgeted to operate these facilities. This typically leaves the high school with a state-of-the-art theatre facility and no one to properly staff it so that it is appropriate and optimal for educational purposes and suitable for practical and safe operational use. So kudos to your district for realizing that highly qualified management and staff is needed in order to set up the operating systems, create a safety program, maximize student learning, and optimize building usage!

Finding training and advice about this growing field can be difficult. One subject that is not often taught in university theatre programs is Theatre Management. This differs from Stage Management in that Stage Management is the management of the actual show or event that comes into a theatre, while Theatre Management is the management of the theatre into which the shows and events come. So, like you, most people fall into Theatre Management from one of the other specialties – design, stage management, technical crew, directing, acting or teaching. However with so many high schools building theatres on their campuses these days, I predict that High School Theatre Management is going to become an essential specialty.

That said, a High School Theatre Manager does not need to be able to run all the aspects of a theatre by themselves, and in fact they should not be running everything themselves – remember, the hospital administrator doesn't perform the surgeries – however a Theatre Manager should have an understanding of the needs of all of the specialties within a theatre facility, without which management decisions cannot be competently made.

Please let me know if I can be of any help! 

All the best!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (limited to 8 students - some spots still open, you can join in this session for up to 2 weeks).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 4.  RE: Facility Management

Posted 01-16-2018 06:41
    Yes please refer to others information,

Please note...

Charges should cover salaries for using the space.
    Yearly inspections of the rigging system.
    Yearly cleaning and inspection of the dimming and control.
    If you have cotton velour curtains, a yearly percentage of cost of re-flame treating the curtains
    Lamp and fixture maintenance to include lamps and occasional socket replacement, if you have LEDs percentage of cost of fixture replacement.

There should also be stipulations on replacement/repair due to damage caused by the groups using the space.

That's my 2 cents

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: Facility Management

Posted 01-16-2018 16:31
      |   view attached

Here's the theatre rental rates for the last 3 school districts I worked in (in WA):

Northshore School District

https://www.nsd.org/Page/6139

Snohomish School District

See attachment.

Issaquah School District

https://www.issaquah.wednet.edu/docs/default-source/district/regulations-manual/4000/4260f4f-theatre-use-application-08-24-17.pdf?sfvrsn=bf53fb17_20

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session starts Jan. 15 (limited to 8 students - some spots still open).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Snohomish rates.pdf   43 KB 1 version